So...Why wasn't Tocchet Fired?

hf101

22168632271_38579bf009.jpg

Quite an interesting read out of the Tribe Live describing the problems at the top of the organization.  http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/9618108-74/penguins-rutherford-lemieux#axzz3uAjE91gp

Both Johnston and the one assistant he was allowed to hire, Gary Agnew,  were fired Saturday, but not Rick Tocchet.  Pittsburgh's PP is currently ranked 27th in the league, yet prior to Tocchet's signing in 2014 the Penguins' PP was ranked #1.  In Rutherford's news conference Saturday he put a lot of emphasis on the Penguins power play, which has only produced a total of 15 goals.

According to Rossi Tocchet wasn't fired because he is best friends with Mario and that ownership is what is wrong with Pittsburgh.  He also stated that Johnston was fired because Crosby wanted him gone.

Sullivan probably doesn't have much of a chance for success here.

Maybe he is actually a double agent for the Flyers!

LOL....I was thinking the exact same thing Poulin20.

In reality though, I would tend to blame the inmates who appear from most outsiders to be running the asylum.

Crosby might want Tocchet fired too but is afraid to say that out loud for fear of a beat down..... :ph34r:

(caveat) this line has been added for the sole purpose of getting some of our Pitt posters to chime in and in no way can be held up in a court of law. ;)

Yes

Well it won't surprise me a whole lot if the Pens suddenly go on a tear after the players have gotten their way(See Michel Therrien/Dan Bylsma). Even if it is only for the see we told you it was his fault we were bad. Many coaches have suffered the fate of poorly performing teams. If a player with the pull of Sydney Crosby decides he does not like your coaching style, he is not going to put forth 100% effort. When his team sees that, they are going to follow suit. I believe the Flyers players did just that to Bill Barber/Ken Hitchcock/Peter Laviolette/Craig Berube. Some of them might have deserved the fate but in some cases it is the players thinking they know better than the coach which is often not the case.

Well it won't surprise me a whole lot if the Pens suddenly go on a tear after the players have gotten their way(See Michel Therrien/Dan Bylsma). Even if it is only for the see we told you it was his fault we were bad. Many coaches have suffered the fate of poorly performing teams. If a player with the pull of Sydney Crosby decides he does not like your coaching style, he is not going to put forth 100% effort. When his team sees that, they are going to follow suit. I believe the Flyers players did just that to Bill Barber/Ken Hitchcock/Peter Laviolette/Craig Berube. Some of them might have deserved the fate but in some cases it is the players thinking they know better than the coach which is often not the case.

I think the effort was there. It was just effort in the wrong system.  In keeping on topic, Tocchet should absolutely have been gone with Johnston. Hopefully Sullivan takes a more active role in the PP. Didn't like his hire to begin with.

^ Barber yes.... That ottawa/Cechmanek series was an embarrassment. Unfortunately, I went to school in Ottawa those days. It was rough.

Lavi?... not so sure. He got himself fired by not adjusting his strategy to fit the team he had.

Hitch had just run his usual 3 year shelf life.

Berube?... well... he shouldn't have even been there to begin with.

^ Barber yes.... That ottawa/Cechmanek series was an embarrassment. Unfortunately, I went to school in Ottawa those days. It was rough.

Lavi?... not so sure. He got himself fired by not adjusting his strategy to fit the team he had.

Hitch had just run his usual 3 year shelf life.

Berube?... well... he shouldn't have even been there to begin with.

You still did not see full effort from the players for Lavi. You could see it in their collective lack of stamina. Hitch, they burned out on and Berube, well, he was not ready for the responsibility of being HC for a bunch of modern day players. The lack of full effort still showed across the board in all of their cases.

I think the effort was there. It was just effort in the wrong system.  In keeping on topic, Tocchet should absolutely have been gone with Johnston. Hopefully Sullivan takes a more active role in the PP. Didn't like his hire to begin with.

I would tend to agree on that just for the fact that you should start with a clean sheet as a HC.You should not have someone who is going to second guess or subvert your HC authority by not following your new direction. I like Tocchet and loved his style of play but if he is running the PP for the Pens, he should have shared the responsibility of it's failings.

Johnston or Sullivan? I thought it odd that Johnston was hired in the first place!

Opened the article, saw it was written by Rob Rossi, didn't bother to read further and closed the article.  Brain cells saved, whew, that was a close one.

Any article by Rob Rossi should not be believed beyond the fact that his name is on it.  He was run out as the Pens beat writer, and is still miffed about it. Who know what it true when his name is on it, but I wouldn't put much on it.  Might be problems, or might be him just making stuff up.  One of the rumors a little while back was he was the source behind the Barnaby statements, wouldn't be surprised. 

Opened the article, saw it was written by Rob Rossi, didn't bother to read further and closed the article. Brain cells saved, whew, that was a close one.

Any article by Rob Rossi should not be believed beyond the fact that his name is on it. He was run out as the Pens beat writer, and is still miffed about it. Who know what it true when his name is on it, but I wouldn't put much on it. Might be problems, or might be him just making stuff up. One of the rumors a little while back was he was the source behind the Barnaby statements, wouldn't be surprised.

Completely agree about Rossi.

Rossi is a buffoon. Shouldn't be allowed to live in Pittsburgh. Let's send him to Beirut with snow (Cleveland).

As for Crosby wanting Johnston gone? I'll applaud him for that. I wanted him gone too. His system belongs elsewhere. And Crosby's effort was there every night. You could see it. I think it was the system he was plugged into and I still think wrist injury. I've never seen him struggle to carry the puck or receive a pass like he has in recent months.

Onward and upward... Let's see what Sullivan does.

Rossi is a buffoon. Shouldn't be allowed to live in Pittsburgh. Let's send him to Beirut with snow (Cleveland).

As for Crosby wanting Johnston gone? I'll applaud him for that. I wanted him gone too. His system belongs elsewhere. And Crosby's effort was there every night. You could see it. I think it was the system he was plugged into and I still think wrist injury. I've never seen him struggle to carry the puck or receive a pass like he has in recent months.

NOW JUST WAIT ONE MINUTE.   Anyplace but Cleveland, heck its bad enough here for a 'burgh native, no need to pile it on by sending Rossi here to punish me further!

one goal in two games ouch! It's only two games, could be another problem somewhere? (I'm wondering if it's the sale of the team that is concerning the players?)

Archived