Top Ten Greatest Rookie Seasons Of All Time

JagerMeister

10. Peter Stastny

He set the record for most assists by a rookie, with 70. And accumulated 109 points, he was 24, however he had to transition and acclimate his game which I believe compensates for having a rookie season at age 24 (where many players begin to peak)

9. Brian Leetch

Exceeded a ppg as a defenseman, producing over 70 points. Which earned him 11th in Norris voting

8. Mike Bossy

Yeah, no one will agree with this. But hey, he's still on the list right???....Anyways, he held the previous record for most goals as a rookie with 54, accumulated over 90 points, I mean, what else is there to say?

7. Sidney Crosby

Superior to Lemieux rookie season imo, he did everything in a lower scoring era and scored almost the identical amount of points. Both had inadequate teams but Crosby had this rookie season at 18 to Lemieux's 19. Crosby wins...

6. Terry Sawchuk

Played all 70 games, In which he recorded 44 wins, 1.99 GAA and 11 shutouts which was the highest in the league.

5. Ray Bourque

As a defenseman, he accumulated 65 points while displaying exceptional defense. In addition to recording a plus 52 rating, named first team allstar, and the most spectacular feat, being 4th in Norris voting as a rookie.

4. Tony Esposito

While playing 63 games, he won 38 games and an astonishing 15 shutouts in addition to a 2.17 GAA. Which won him a Calder but also a vezina trophy

3. Alexander Ovechkin

I know he is not well received in this particular forum...however, no one can dispute that he had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever, 52 goals and 54 assists. 2 less goals than bossy and at least 10 more points. In addition to playing in a worse team than Bossy. And a higher scoring era...

2. Ken Dryden

Not certain how this will be received, but no one else has won a conn Smyth trophy as a rookie...

1. Teemu Selanne

You all anticipated this, 76 goals to eclipse the most goals as a rookie, but also exceeding the most goals scored by a Finnish player...and by a european player in general (tied with mogilny) In addition to being 5th in scoring as a rookie.....inimitable.

10. Peter Stastny

He set the record for most assists by a rookie, with 70. And accumulated 109 points, he was 24, however he had to transition and acclimate his game which I believe compensates for having a rookie season at age 24 (where many players begin to peak)

9. Brian Leetch

Exceeded a ppg as a defenseman, producing over 70 points. Which earned him 11th in Norris voting

8. Mike Bossy

Yeah, no one will agree with this. But hey, he's still on the list right???....Anyways, he held the previous record for most goals as a rookie with 54, accumulated over 90 points, I mean, what else is there to say?

7. Sidney Crosby

Superior to Lemieux rookie season imo, he did everything in a lower scoring era and scored almost the identical amount of points. Both had inadequate teams but Crosby had this rookie season at 18 to Lemieux's 19. Crosby wins...

6. Terry Sawchuk

Played all 70 games, In which he recorded 44 wins, 1.99 GAA and 11 shutouts which was the highest in the league.

5. Ray Bourque

As a defenseman, he accumulated 65 points while displaying exceptional defense. In addition to recording a plus 52 rating, named first team allstar, and the most spectacular feat, being 4th in Norris voting as a rookie.

4. Tony Esposito

While playing 63 games, he won 38 games and an astonishing 15 shutouts in addition to a 2.17 GAA. Which won him a Calder but also a vezina trophy

3. Alexander Ovechkin

I know he is not well received in this particular forum...however, no one can dispute that he had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever, 52 goals and 54 assists. 2 less goals than bossy and at least 10 more points. In addition to playing in a worse team than Bossy. And a higher scoring era...

2. Bernie Parent

Not certain how this will be received, but no one else has won a conn Smyth trophy as a rookie...

1. Teemu Selanne

You all anticipated this, 76 goals to eclipse the most goals as a rookie, but also exceeding the most goals scored by a Finnish player...and by a european player in general (tied with mogilny) In addition to being 5th in scoring as a rookie.....inimitable.

Marginally disagree.

Yes it was a lower scoring era, but the first 2 years after lockouts were marked with a ridiculous amount of man advantages as defensemen struggled to adjust to the new rules. 495 power play opportunities to 363. 47 power play points for Crosby and one of the best PP quarterbacks in Gonchar.. Yes most of his forward help either missed a lot of the year(Lemieux/Palffi) or were over the hill (Recchi/LeClair) but they were still a sight better than Warren Young(Who at age 29, hit 40 goals when his previous high was 1 goal in a season)Doug Shedden who was -51 and one of the worst of all time LOL. Sheddon went on to score 16 goals total with his next 3 teams in 5 years after 2 years of 34 and 32 with Lemieux.

10. Peter Stastny

9. Brian Leetch

8. Mike Bossy

7. Sidney Crosby

6. Terry Sawchuk

5. Ray Bourque

4. Tony Esposito

3. Alexander Ovechkin

2. Bernie Parent

1. Teemu Selanne

Didn't Dryden and Roy win Smythe's as rookie goalies? To say nothing of Cam Ward(LOL)

2. Ken Dryden

Dryden is the only one to win the Conn Smythe before winning the Calder. But, yeah, am extremely strong case can be made for him on the list. He was runner up for the Hart in his Calder season.

I'll try to get in on this and build my own list when I have the time. Seems like a fun idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Marginally disagree.

Yes it was a lower scoring era, but the first 2 years after lockouts were marked with a ridiculous amount of man advantages as defensemen struggled to adjust to the new rules. 495 power play opportunities to 363. 47 power play points for Crosby and one of the best PP quarterbacks in Gonchar.. Yes most of his forward help either missed a lot of the year(Lemieux/Palffi) or were over the hill (Recchi/LeClair) but they were still a sight better than Warren Young(Who at age 29, hit 40 goals when his previous high was 1 goal in a season)Doug Shedden who was -51 and one of the worst of all time LOL. Sheddon went on to score 16 goals total with his next 3 teams in 5 years after 2 years of 34 and 32 with Lemieux.

That Warren Young stat though...

Archived