The Most Wonderful Time of Year (WJHC)

flyercanuck

iihf_2016_u20_logo.png?itok=pUYWKL8r

A little over a week from now the World Junior Hockey Championship starts in Helsinki Finland. 

As a Flyer fan I'm looking forward to Travis Sanheim (top pairing) and Travis Konecny(3rd line?) on Team Canada as well as Ivan Provorov (top pairing) and maybe  Radel Fazleev (3rd/4th line) on Team Russia, David Kase (anywhere top 3 lines) from Czech Rep. Oscar Lindblom (top line) and Felix Sandstrom (not sure if starter or backup) on Sweden , not sure of status of Matej Tomek of Slovakia whose been injured.

Canada is defending champion with plenty of firepower up front, a great D and stellar goaltending. 

The US might have an all draft eligible top line of Mathews/Tkachuk/Debrincat. They'll be missing their two best junior eligible players in Eichel and Hanifan (welcome to our world).

Russia will have the usual great forward and goaltending, but this time may even have a D to go with it.

Finland should be able to show more offence than usual, and are always a team to contend.

Sweden should ice the usual top 4 squad.

Enjoy the tournament folks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I love this tournament. I can sit in my PJ's with my cup of coffee, my feet up and watch some awesome hockey.

The top 3 teams will be Canada, U.S.A., and Sweden (in no particular order). 

Can't wait for puck drop.

Canada wins 1-0 over Czechs in exhibition. Both goalies win Player of Game, though Konecny could easily have. His line was probably Canadas best for chances today and he was also on first PK unit. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again...as a Flyer fan we're going to hate Blackwood in the Devils goal.

Yeah, Blackwood is gonna make a nice pro, I'm pretty well convinced of that. At least Schneider is there to block his way a bit, but I do expect Blackwood to eat into his playing time as each season passes. Having said that, Schneider is not exactly chopped liver, almost a top 10 goalie, I just like Blacks upside.

Still a couple of roster cuts for Team USA are needed.

Team USA camp roster (as of 19 Dec.)

Goaltenders:
Brandon Halverson, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
Alex Nedeljkovic, Flint Firebirds (OHL)

Defencemen:
Louie Belpedio, Miami University (NCHC)
Will Borgen, St. Cloud State University (NCHC)
Brandon Carlo, Ti-City Americans (WHL)
Ryan Collins, University of Minnesota (Big Ten)
Brandon Fortunato, Boston University (HEA)
Chad Krys, U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)
Charlie McAvoy, Boston University (HEA)
Zach Werenski, University of Michigan (Big Ten)

Forwards:
Anders Bjork, University of Notre Dame (HEA)
Brock Boeser, University of North Dakota (NCHC)
Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL)
Ryan Donato, Harvard University (ECAC Hockey)
Christian Dvorak, London Knights (OHL)
Scott Eansor, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
Ryan Hitchcock, Yale University (ECAC Hockey)
Clayton Keller, U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)
Auston Matthews, ZSC Lions Zurich (SUI)
Ryan MacInnis, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Sonny Milano, Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)
Nick Schmaltz, University of North Dakota (NCHC)
Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL)
Colin White, Boston College (HEA)
Head Coach:
Ron Wilson

Can't believe Kyle Connor didn't make the team....

or that the Hurricanes didn't allow Hanifin to play.

the one thing I did notice with the roster is a mix of youth and vets.  I was hoping Bellows was going to make the roster, but we will probaby see him next year.

or that the Hurricanes didn't allow Hanifin to play.

the one thing I did notice with the roster is a mix of youth and vets. I was hoping Bellows was going to make the roster, but we will probaby see him next year.

Yeah Bellows would seem a lock for next year, but you never know - it seems there are always weird politics at work with the US selection. No?

Well, can't say I've ever seen 2 goals go through the net in the same game. Then it happened THREE times.

Sweden, come on....this ain't rocket science.

Crazy. You mean Finland I think. Do they use different nets for this tourney or something?! I mean, a major FEL team plays in that rink, it's not like they've never seen nets before...

I guess they weren't using their "elite" nets? Seems to me they do a lot of fishing in Finland don't they?  :P

Seriously, I don't know why they ever hold that tourney anyplace but Canada. The players far outnumbered the fans. They could have held that game in a quonset hut rink. You know, the ones where there isn't enough room in the rink area for the Zamboni. They did have a Zamboni, didn't they?  :confused[1]:

The IIHF should be ashamed. Bush league. End rant....

I guess they weren't using their "elite" nets? Seems to me they do a lot of fishing in Finland don't they? :P

Seriously, I don't know why they ever hold that tourney anyplace but Canada. The players far outnumbered the fans. They could have held that game in a quonset hut rink. You know, the ones where there isn't enough room in the rink area for the Zamboni. They did have a Zamboni, didn't they? :confused[1]:

The IIHF should be ashamed. Bush league. End rant....

It was a meaningless pre-tourney game. It should get better. Canada will always be the best place for it but it can't be here every year.

It was a meaningless pre-tourney game. It should get better. Canada will always be the best place for it but it can't be here every year.

Everyone knows that's wrong. The best place will host it in 2018. :ph34r:

Really wanted to go two years ago. Malmö is a really nice town.

Archived