The Most Wonderful Time of Year (WJHC)

flyercanuck

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those interested....The Hockey News has once again graced us with the phenomenal WJC preview. For those who really want to dive head first into the tourny, this is the book to buy!   On the front it has Canada's Mitch Marner and USA's Auston Matthews. (the hokey caption reads Marner and Matthews hunt for Christmas Gold....pfffft.)

All kinds of expert analysis and predictions. The magazine bills itself as "the Most Wonderful Guide of the Year"    LMAO, they must have read FC's initial post..

Team Canada, USA and Finland all have 3-4 page in depth previews, and some of the light weights like Belarus etc share a page with another team.

Complete comprehensive look at which players in this tourny are drafted by NHL teams and where they were selected etc...

They have a real nice trip down memory lane with the top 40 WJC performances.of all time.

Added bonus for Flyer fans, a story titled "why Hockey owes Eric Lindros an apology"....I will read it, but I will have my sappy detector out if it goes all Bonnie and Clyde-ish on us.

It was a meaningless pre-tourney game. It should get better. Canada will always be the best place for it but it can't be here every year.

You're right about the exhibition game, but there weren't 50 people there. I'm not sure there were 5.. I realise the tourney can't be held in Canada or the U.S.A. every year, but somebody had to pay for that game yesterday. In North America (apologies to my U.S. pals for the 'slight' in my first post) the games pay for themselves. All of them. Even exhibition games, especially those where Canada or the U.S. is playing. 

Anyway, I was just taken by surprise is all. I've seen games in the tourney the had low attendance before - but not that low. 

NHL team's prospects at this year's WJC's

Teams with 7 prospects: PHI

Flyers
 Travis Sanheim -Canada
 Travis Konecny -Canada
 Felix Sandstrom Sweden
 Oskar Lindblom -Sweden
 Ivan Provorov -Russia
 Radel Fazleev -Russia
 David Kase -Czech Rep

Teams with 6 prospects: ARZ, BOS, DET

Coyotes
Brendan Perlini -Canada
 Dylan Strome -Canada
 Erik Kallgren -Sweden
 Anton Karlasson -Sweden
 Jens Looke -Sweden
 Christian Dvorak -USA

Bruins
Jacob Forsbaka-Karlsson -Sweden
 Brandon Carlo -USA
 Anders Bjork -USA
 Ryan Donato -USA
 Daniel Vladar -Czech Rep
 Jakub Zboril -Czech Rep

Redwings
 Joe Hicketts -Canada
 Christoffer Ehn -Sweden
 Axel Holmstrom -Sweden
 Joren van Pottelberghe -Switzerland
 Yevgeni Svechnikov -Russia
 Vili Saarijarvi -Finland

Teams with 5 prospects: MIN, OTT, TOR

Wild

Joel Eriksson-Ek -Sweden
 Louis Belpedio -USA
 Kirill Kaprizov -Russia
 Ales Stezka -Czech Rep
 Kaapo Kahkkonen -Finland

Senators
 Thomas Chabot -Canada
 Andreas Englund -Sweden
 Colin White -USA
 Christian Jaros -Slovakia
 Filip Chlapik -Czech Rep

Mapleleafs
 Travis Dermott -Canada
 Mitch Marner -Canada
 William Nylander -Sweden
 Dmytro Timashov -Sweden
 Kasperi Kapanen -Finland

Teams with 4 prospects: CAR, CHI, FLA, NYR

Hurricanes

Haydn Fleury -Canada
Roland McKeown -Canada
Alex Nedeljkovic -USA
Sebastian Aho -Finland

Blackhawks
Gustav Forsling -Sweden
Nick Schmaltz -USA
Radovan Bondra -Slovakia
Joni Tuulola -Finland

Panthers
Samuel Montembeault -Canada
Lawson Crouse -Canada
Denis Malgin -Switzerland
Juho Lammikko -Finland

Rangers
Brandon Halverson -USA
Sergei Zbrovsky -Russia
Adam Huska -Slovakia
Aleksi Saarela -Finland

Teams with 3 prospects: ANA, CGY, CBJ, LAK, NJD, NYI, SJS, TBL, WAS, WPG

Ducks
 Jacob Larsson -Sweden
 Marcus Pettersson -Sweden
 Julius Nattinen -Finland

Flames
 Mason McDonald -Canada
 Brandon Hickey -Canada
 Adam Ollas-Mattsson -Sweden

Blue Jackets
 Gabriel Carlsson -Sweden
 Zach Werenski -USA
 Sonny Milano -USA

Kings
Adrian Kempe -Sweden
Alexander Dergachyov -Russia
Erik Cernak -Slovakia

Devils
 MacKenzie Blackwood -Canada
 John Quenneville -Canada
 Pavel Zacha -Czech Rep

Islanders
Mathew Barzal -Canada
 Anthony Beauvillier -Canada
 Linus Soderstrom -Sweden

Sharks
Rourke Chartier -Canada
 Timo Meier -Switzerland
 Noah Rod -Switzerland

Lightning
Brayden Point -Canada
 Mitchell Stephens -Canada
 Dominik Masin -Czech Rep

Capitals
Jonas Siegenthaler -Switzerland
 Ilya Samsonov -Russia
 Vitek Vanecek -Czech Rep

Jets
Pavel Kraskovsky -Russia
 Michael Spacek -Czech Rep
 Sami Niku -Finland

Teams with 2 prospects: COL, DAL, VAN

Avalanche

Sergei Boikov -Russia
 Mikko Rantanen -Finland

Stars

Denis Guryanov -Russia
 Roope Hintz -Finland

Canucks

Jake Virtanen -Canada
 Brock Boeser -USA

Teams with 1 prospect: BUF, EDM, NAS

Sabres

Will Borgen -USA

Oilers

William Lagesson-Sweden

Predators

Vladislav Kamenev -Russia

Teams with no prospects: MTL, PIT, STL

I'm taking in some of the Sweden-Switzerland game this morning. Despite the score, I've got to think Sweden has to hate the outcome of this one because of the injuries. I guess all big margins aren't created equal.

The Swiss have always played a North American style game. They used to always have a Canadian coach and they always hit hard. Nylander needs to learn to keep his head up, even in international play. I still think he will never be the player a lot of people seem to think he'll be. Yah, I know that might seem a little harsh, but high draft picks are worth (or should be) worth their weight in gold. I have serious doubts about this guy...

If you are playing the Swiss in this tourney, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!

Congrats on the win US. 

Honestly,  neither team looked great but its was the first real game.

Can't see that much going wrong for us going forward (2 deflections off our own sticks going in. 1 lucky bounce off the boards). One more game and we get our real goalie back. MacDonald doesn't suck, but he's hardly great. 

What's Lowry got against Sanheim? 

Nylander needs to learn to keep his head up, even in international play. I still think he will never be the player a lot of people seem to think he'll be. Yah, I know that might seem a little harsh, but high draft picks are worth (or should be) worth their weight in gold. I have serious doubts about this guy...

Odd, I think Nylander is an outright superstar, the franchise center the Leafs have been waiting for since Mats Sundin retired. He's on par with HOF'er Davy Keon, Darryl Sittler, Mats Sundin.....BUT he is not better than Mitch Marner, who is also a true superstar....the Leafs will have the best 1-2 punch in the league very shortly. A long time coming.....don't think they have EVER had 2 centers on the team *this* talented. They will both average more than 90 pts for a long, long time....as long as the Leafs supply them with respectable wingers.

Yah, I don't know how anybody can describe Nylander as a superstar. I think he might make a good 3rd or 4th line winger, if he learns how to backcheck. He's too small to be a real centre in the NHL but he could play wing; again, if he learns how to backcheck. LOL, I watched him play several games this year for the Marlies and there is simply nothing I have seen him do that was at the level you describe. He has talent, certainly, but superstar? No way IMHO.

His attitude seems to be the same as yours - that he's a star and all he has to do is for someone to pass it to him so he can have a shot on goal. Tht's why he's still in the AHL full time.

Just my opinion I guess. :cool[1]:

@BluPuk   We will have to revisit this at a later date, cause I'm ready to declare him a superstar, no doubt in my mind. He is SUPER creative, makes those around him better...he does awesome moves at full speed, the for sure hall mark of a kid with a nice future. He has very soft hands and can roof the puck from anywhere in the crease area.

What's Lowry got against Sanheim?

It is rather odd, his skill set and contributions to the team don't match his playing time. I believe as the tourny goes forward, Sans will force Lowry to play him more.

@BluPuk   We will have to revisit this at a later date, cause I'm ready to declare him a superstar, no doubt in my mind. He is SUPER creative, makes those around him better...he does awesome moves at full speed, the for sure hall mark of a kid with a nice future. He has very soft hands and can roof the puck from anywhere in the crease area.

I've never been all that great about keeping up with juniors or minor leagues, but from all I've ever read or seen of him, I tend to agree. He probably won't end up with that much of a defensive game, but I suspect he'll be plenty capable of piling up points.

I think you are right on, @ScottM, but that's why I don't want him. Plainly stated he strikes me as a solo act. A cherry picker as we used to call 'em back when I played. Not a team guy. I have been watching this game for a lot of years and I've seen that type of player many times. I love Komarov for the way he plays, but Nylander? I am very concerned that he will "play for the money". That will not earn him any points with Babcock.

I hope I'm wrong but as @jammer2 said we will see soon enough.

This gives Canada a shot at winning the group now. Unexpected, but welcome turn of events for us.

Go you 'nucks....

how?

Even if Canada beats Sweden, USA would still hold a tiebreaker over Canada right?  

how?

Even if Canada beats Sweden, USA would still hold a tiebreaker over Canada right?  

Yes, But in that 3-way tie scenario, Canada would own it over Sweden, and Sweden over the US, so it would move to goal differential.

Yes, But in that 3-way tie scenario, Canada would own it over Sweden, and Sweden over the US, so it would move to goal differential.

agree,

and Sweden has only 1 goal over USA, and USA has 2 goals over Canada,  if Canada scores 2 goals over Sweden,  USA would have the tiebreaker right?

Canada would then have to score more than 2 goals over Sweden.

Archived