The Most Wonderful Time of Year (WJHC)

flyercanuck

12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

I disagree. I think coaching may actually be more important with an "all-star" team.

Did I read it right that Canada has never won a WJC on the European ice?

Canada has won gold in Finland before. And Sweden. And Russia. And the Czech Republic. And Switzerland.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was DISGUSTED with Mitch Marner .....what an effin tool, taking a cheap retaliation penalty with just over 2 mins left....the sad part, Finland was already getting called for a separate incident....Canada could have had a 2 min pp for just about the rest of regulation...instead, Mitch swings away, right in front of the ref no less!!  How about Hicketts getting called for the puck leaving the rink....the double minor by Virtanen....these kids did not deserve to win. Selfish, petulant, entitled little boys. A disgrace to the country.

I don't think that's really fair, Jammer. You have to keep in mind that there are just that - kids. I know they play like men so it's easy to forget that they are just kids. They are not quite grown up yet.

In the end, the world is changing - including the hockey world. We (Canada) can't expect a win every time we play internationally any more - hell we trained most of their best players anyway. 

A disgrace? That's going too far. No way. We have done much worse than take stupid penalties over the years, like the time we got into a brawl at the end of a game against the Russians and both teams got disqualified. We beat the bejeebers out of 'em by the way.

The good news is - there's always next year. :P

3 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

I don't think that's really fair, Jammer. You have to keep in mind that there are just that - kids. I know they play like men so it's easy to forget that they are just kids. They are not quite grown up yet.

In the end, the world is changing - including the hockey world. We (Canada) can't expect a win every time we play internationally any more - hell we trained most of their best players anyway. 

A disgrace? That's going too far. No way. We have done much worse than take stupid penalties over the years, like the time we got into a brawl at the end of a game against the Russians and both teams got disqualified. We beat the bejeebers out of 'em by the way.

The good news is - there's always next year. :P

If you are old enough to sign a million dollar deal, you're old enough to conduct yourself like a professional. Thing is, composure is drilled into these kids during the whole process of playing on Team Canada. Many, many fine players were passed over because they stated they are ready and will play under control. They failed miserably.

I have not expected to win this tourny for years and years now, I have fully acknowledged the rest of the world has indeed closed the gap that Canada once had. The only thing I expect is the players that are chosen give their all and are not selfish.....fail..and .....fail.

This team's failure was 100% on Dave Lowry. No discipline, no accountability, the team was fractured by his favortism, the players who stayed on the ice way too long every shift were never corrected, bad penalties were never corrected until the final minute of the Finland game, good play was never rewarded, it just looked broken from the start. This tournament requires a mixture of talent, heart, size, team work, leadership and egos left in the parking lot. This team lacked in all these areas except talent, which wasn't elite enough to overcome the shortfalls. Lowry never got the recipe right.

@flyercanuck

Yeah, Finland brought their A game today against their arch rivals.  Sweden gave it a good effort, but congrats to the Fins for the upset in front of their fans.

USA is looking for revenge against the Russians. I fully expect Russia to give a better effort than they did vs Denmark, but USA has played a great tournament throughout.

go... 

USA USA USA

And this is the US coach:

Team USA head coach Ron Wilson readily admits he doesn't know much about Team Russia. "I don't know anybody," he said unabashedly. "I couldn't tell you any players on the Russian team." How could this be the case? "Because I don't know them! Do you know any of the Russian players? Do you?" Wilson asked reporters rhetorically. "No. And I'm in the same boat." Is he planning to do some research? "No, I'm not. We play with our team and that's what I'm going to trust. I'm going to trust our team to get the job done." Wilson did say he expects Russia to play a similar style to the Czech Republic and that goaltending will probably be the deciding factor in the game. The Americans have the best team save percentage in the tournament (.959) while Russia is third (.915).

Right now, US is down 2-1. I feel that despite the score early, the Russians were carrying the play. PP to start the 3rd for the US.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And this is the US coach:

Team USA head coach Ron Wilson readily admits he doesn't know much about Team Russia. "I don't know anybody," he said unabashedly. "I couldn't tell you any players on the Russian team." How could this be the case? "Because I don't know them! Do you know any of the Russian players? Do you?" Wilson asked reporters rhetorically. "No. And I'm in the same boat." Is he planning to do some research? "No, I'm not. We play with our team and that's what I'm going to trust. I'm going to trust our team to get the job done." Wilson did say he expects Russia to play a similar style to the Czech Republic and that goaltending will probably be the deciding factor in the game. The Americans have the best team save percentage in the tournament (.959) while Russia is third (.915).

Right now, US is down 2-1. I feel that despite the score early, the Russians were carrying the play. PP to start the 3rd for the US.

Wilson is such an obnoxious arrogant ass. His team is getting outplayed and to quote him 'getting what they deserve" with their stupid penalties. Waiting for Mathews to show up this game, though he just missed at the end of the period on the pp. US goalie is keeping them in this one, he's played excellent so far. 

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

tough loss   :cry:

They always are.

The only pleasure for me was the karma seeing Wilsons team lose because of stupid penalties and overplaying certain players...like Canada.... that he was so smug about.

Although USA played well in the tournament much like Sweden it's a one game elimination and sometimes the best teams aren't playing for the appropriate trophy.

if only Denmark could have held on to that 1 goal lead ...

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Although USA played well in the tournament much like Sweden it's a one game elimination and sometimes the best teams aren't playing for the appropriate trophy.

if only Denmark could have held on to that 1 goal lead ...

Sure. And if only Virtanen didn't lose his mind when Canada was tied. If only Canada brought a real coach. If only Blackwood would have played like he was capable. 

Trust me, I'd love a best of 7 format...there just isn't time for it. I just find this tournament so much fun to watch....it blows the NHL away until it's playoff time.

Archived