The Most Wonderful Time of Year (WJHC)

flyercanuck

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Button on Provorov at WJs...

Button:
Off the bar...Ivan Provorov...I mean the guy is brilliant. He's unbelievable, just unbelievable how good this guy is. First of all, makes this perfect pass right up the ice to Kamanev, then he recognizes I can get right in to the attack....Right off the bar.

Ladies and gentleman, kids at home, Philadelphia Flyers fans, you are looking at a star. The game goes as fast as he wants it to go. His mind, he's just brilliant. 

Other announcer: talks about Brandon

Button: If he's in Brandon next year, consider yourselves winner of the lottery. (Then more rambling about a Brandon and the Flyers training camp)

His mind is already like, an, an, an, an elite NHL level and the ability to be calm and poised and understand exactly...I mean it's one thing to say this is what I want to do, but he knows how to break you down, he knows how to open up opportunities for himself and for his teammates. 

He can play a ton of minutes because again he does not wear himself out by making unnecessary forays defensively..I, I, I, just...unbelievable player.

Other announcer: part if the reason why Russia is 6 for 6 on the PK in this game.

Button: and let me say this too about Provorov, he isn't going to be in all the hi-light reels racing up and down the ice and toe dragging and dangling, but boy, you want a defenseman that can command the game and all it's areas....He's your guy.

Other announcer: maybe not be on the hi-lights but he will be on lots of replays by analysts saying watch this play!

Button: and if you want to win Cups, you need defensemen like him.

Quite the props! And note, this went for about 2:30 minutes. Just thought I would share.

Button can say what he likes at this point. Wait 'til this kid gets on an NHL team and in NHL games. There is no way to tell before that. I've seen this story many, many times before.

Canadas lines today in practise...

Crouse-Strome-Virtanen
Perlini-Point-Marner 
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier 
Quenneville-Stephens-Konecny 
Chartier

Ok, so Lowry just doesn't want to win, period. Virtanen has been terrible, put him on the top line. Perlini has sucked, Point is obviously still hurt, Marner has been ok or bad, they get 2nd line...Konecny has been Canadas best forward through the entire tournament (Strome for parts of it) so he stays on 4th line? What's next, Hicketts centres the top line? 

Can we fire the coach?

47 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Canadas lines today in practise...

Crouse-Strome-Virtanen
Perlini-Point-Marner 
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier 
Quenneville-Stephens-Konecny 
Chartier

Ok, so Lowry just doesn't want to win, period. Virtanen has been terrible, put him on the top line. Perlini has sucked, Point is obviously still hurt, Marner has been ok or bad, they get 2nd line...Konecny has been Canadas best forward through the entire tournament (Strome for parts of it) so he stays on 4th line? What's next, Hicketts centres the top line? 

Can we fire the coach?

Truly appalling. Perlini shouldn't even be on this team. Virtanen, Strome, Barzal and Marner all taking 2 min shifts. Gauthier slow and ineffective. Stephens, your best faceoff guy, hardly playing.  

Just brutal.

After the all heart gutsy effort than Konecny in the Sweden game, it is pitiful to see him wasted away on the 4th line. WAKE the hell up Lowry, Travis actually makes a difference, hitting, gaining possession, stripping the puck and going the other way....literally no other Canadian forward has come close to how disruptive his game has been.....AND his reward is a trip to the 4th line???  UNREAL!!

Virtanen has been real bad. Just cause somebody is playing in the NHL, does not make them a 1st line WJC player.....WTF>

Part of this hot mess must be laid right at the feet of Niclelson and Hockey Canada, for hiring this stiff Lowry in the first place. Just were his credentials to gain the most coveted job in all of Canada??

Barzel is another guy who should be in the top 6 and getting more ice time, he's looked dangerous, much moreso than Point.

22 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Button:
Off the bar...Ivan Provorov...I mean the guy is brilliant. He's unbelievable, just unbelievable how good this guy is. First of all, makes this perfect pass right up the ice to Kamanev, then he recognizes I can get right in to the attack....Right off the bar.

Ladies and gentleman, kids at home, Philadelphia Flyers fans, you are looking at a star. The game goes as fast as he wants it to go. His mind, he's just brilliant. 

Button: If he's in Brandon next year, consider yourselves winner of the lottery. (Then more rambling about a Brandon and the Flyers training camp)

His mind is already like, an, an, an, an elite NHL level and the ability to be calm and poised and understand exactly...I mean it's one thing to say this is what I want to do, but he knows how to break you down, he knows how to open up opportunities for himself and for his teammates. 

He can play a ton of minutes because again he does not wear himself out by making unnecessary forays defensively..I, I, I, just...unbelievable player.

Other announcer: part if the reason why Russia is 6 for 6 on the PK in this game.

Button: and let me say this too about Provorov, he isn't going to be in all the hi-light reels racing up and down the ice and toe dragging and dangling, but boy, you want a defenseman that can command the game and all it's areas....He's your guy.

Other announcer: maybe not be on the hi-lights but he will be on lots of replays by analysts saying watch this play!

Button: and if you want to win Cups, you need defensemen like him.

Quite the props! And note, this went for about 2:30 minutes. Just thought I would share.

Dare i say I am getting goosebumps reading this.  I really cannot wait to see him in the O&B.  The Flyers have a legit top Defensive Prospect.....:thumbsu:  

Man, I was really rooting for the Danes. And of all the teams I was rooting for this round, I thought the Finns were the only ones with a legitimate chance to win. Hopefully they can build off this next year.

15 min to go in game......Sweden 4 Slovakia 0 in quarterfinal game

At 11 am EST...on NHL Channel Quarterfinal Game  #3 Finland vs Canada

correction.....now 5-0 Sweden with 14 min. to go.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

...meanwhile Team Canada is tied with Sweden in the 3rd 5-5

not anymore....Finland just went ahead 6-5 by a goal by Patrick Laine

Sanheim has an assist and Konecny has a goal for Team Canada

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

not anymore....Finland just went ahead 6-5 by a goal by Patrick Laine

Home team Finland was not a team I would have wanted USA to play for

USA up 2-0 on a goal by Christian Dvorak

3-0 on a goal by Austin Matthews

4-0 on Matthews 2nd goal 

A shortie by Scott  Eansor 

Hattrick by Matthews on the PP

I'm going to say that is one of the most undisciplined Team Canadas I've ever seen...from the long shifts to some of the dumbest penalties I've seen in an important game. Take a bow coach. Every time someone would do one of the above (Virtanen, Perlini, Marner, Strome) Lowry would reward them with more icetime. 

I think the US takes this, but Sweden should give them a go.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Agree,

First though they have to beat Russia who sent them home last year.  Russa got a wake up call today from Denmark they will bring a solid effort in this game for sure.

I'm actually looking forward to a rematch with Sweden. 

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm going to say that is one of the most undisciplined Team Canadas I've ever seen...from the long shifts to some of the dumbest penalties I've seen in an important game. Take a bow coach. Every time someone would do one of the above (Virtanen, Perlini, Marner, Strome) Lowry would reward them with more icetime. 

Yup. I don't mind penalties, but these ones were pure selfish. Taken by players who, while skilled, obviously think only about themselves. They're not even pros yet (I guess Virtanen could be considered one at this point) and they've become self-obsessed doucgebags it appears. In particular, I wouldn't have Strome on my team if you paid me. He has a shot and is an opportunistic scorer. Otherwise: blech. I thought I know what kind of player he was. Wrong. 

I'm glad we drafted Konecny though. Would have been nice to see him on the ice near the end there, but of course it was a tired Marner, Strome and Point that were out there. 

Lowry is not ready to coach peewee. Ultimately it's on him. 

I agree generally with Podein and FlyerCanuck, BUT, I'm not so sure you can point your finger strictly at the coaching. These kids at this level should be good enough to almost coach themselves, but the undisciplined penalties are on them. There's a lot of pressure on these kids so I don't hold any of that against them. In the end they gave up their Christmas holidays at home to play for Canada and I thank them. :)

I disagree. I think coaching may actually be more important with an "all-star" team.

Did I read it right that Canada has never won a WJC on the European ice?

16 hours ago, BluPuk said:

I agree generally with Podein and FlyerCanuck, BUT, I'm not so sure you can point your finger strictly at the coaching. These kids at this level should be good enough to almost coach themselves, but the undisciplined penalties are on them. There's a lot of pressure on these kids so I don't hold any of that against them. In the end they gave up their Christmas holidays at home to play for Canada and I thank them. :)

Throughout that tournament i saw guys like Strome and Marner playing 2 minute shifts or longer.  A real coach  would have parked their ass on the bench for an entire period. This isn't Erie or London...EVERY player on this team is the best from their respective teams and deserves their icetime.

Some of Canadas penalties yesterday were selfish and hardly good penalties. We went from a pp in a 5-5 tie in an elimination game to being down 5 on 3 cause Virtanen was allowed to play like an idiot all tournament. We went from a pp down 6-5 to playing even because Marner is a superstar (who doesn't play like one) who doesn't have to take any rough stuff to help his team. We saw Konecny and Barzal be two of Canadas best players, yet get icetime like they were terrible. We saw Joe Hicketts (Lowrys hometeam boy) play ridiculous amounts of time while other equally talented defencemen barely played. Think that kind of treatment makes for great teambuilding? Can a player who gets 2 minutes in a period really be on top of his game?

That was one of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen at this tournament. Our pp sucked. Our pk sucked. It's Canada, not Belarus.

I was also disappointed in Blackwood. He just wasn't great at all...and I'm used to him being great.

Archived