Game #33 - Flyers at Blue Jackets - Dec 19 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's write up: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121915--CBJ/45/73367

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.09 (29th), Blue Jackets 2.44 (T-21st)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.62 (19th), Blue Jackets 3.06 (28th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 42/49, Blue Jackets 55/68
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.1% (25th), Blue Jackets 18.4% (15th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.6% (19th), Blue Jackets 81.7% (13th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.4 (9th), Blue Jackets 28.9 (T-19th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.5 (29th), Blue Jackets 30.0 (19th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.6% (20th), Blue Jackets 48.7% (24th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
93 Jakub Voracek - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas 
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
23 Brandon Manning - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason / 30 Michal Neuvirth

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Sam Gagner (could be activated from IR), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate), Luke Schenn (left foot/ankle).

Blue Jackets

43 Scott Hartnell - 41 Alexander Wennberg - 20 Brandon Saad
11 Matt Calvert - 17 Brandon Dubinsky - 13 - Cam Atkinson
71 Nick Foligno - 38 Boone Jenner - 23 David Clarkson
9 Gregory Campbell - 25 William Karlsson - 40 Jared Boll

27 Ryan Murray - 4 Kevin Connauton
51 Fedor Tyutin - 47 Dalton Prout
44 Justin Falk - 2 Andrew Bodnarchuk

70 Joonas Korpisalo / 30 Curtis McElhinney

Scratches: Ryan Johansen (healthy scratch on Thursday), Jack Johnson (questionable, upper body), David Savard (questionable, lower body), Sergei Bobrovsky (IR, groin), Rene Bourque (IR, upper body), Cody Goloubef (IR, jaw), Markus Hannikainen (IR, shoulder).

I wonder who's in net for the Flyers tonight. For the first time since ....... forever ...... I think we've got a good shot no matter who gets the start. Playing the Jackets is a special case since Mason has struggled against his old team. Neuvirth will probably get the nod but either way I doubt we'll lose because of goaltending.

edit: Imagine that, 2 capable goalies playing for the O&B.

I wonder who's in net for the Flyers tonight. For the first time since ....... forever ...... I think we've got a good shot no matter who gets the start. Playing the Jackets is a special case since Mason has struggled against his old team. Neuvirth will probably get the nod but either way I doubt we'll lose because of goaltending.

I think Mason deserves the start, he responded to his mini-benching with a very impressive shutout, get out there again and show me something

It should be Mason he deserves it with his last performance and shutout regardless of who or where it is being played.

@sarsippius

I'd put Neuvrith in. As mentioned, Mason, and the Flyers seem to struggle with the BJs.

I can't disagree with the logic, he has not been good against his former team, maybe it's just trying too hard show 'em they made a mistake. So in a one game thought process Nuevirth is the logical choice.

I think just want to see what Mason is made of and how he fits in the future state of the Flyers. Like to see if he can get the mental part of his game together, take a shot at this demon and hopefully move on. Coming off IMO his best performance of the season and hopefully with some good juju rolling...

Of course, I don't coach hockey and for good reason, hopefully Hakstol has been around these guys long enough to be able to read his players

The shot count and block count suggest Flyers are semi-asleep so far. The PP looked anemic.  Mason is awake...his teammates so far...maybe a different story.  

Lawton looks dazed.  Simmonds is trying to wake things up.    But the Flyers can't keep up with these folks.  We are lucky to be down by only one so far.

Howie

Dubinsky is a POS

******* knee. Jesus Christ and we'll get the instigator after a cheap shot 

This league is clueless. Let's let players dish out cheap shots, but when we attempt to punish them for it, let's reward that team 

Dubinsky is a real class act isn't he? ...building up quite the reputation as a cheapshot artist. Twisting himself mid-impact so he can stick his knee into Voracek's groin ...there's something wrong with that guy.

Dubinsky is a POS

****** knee. Jesus Christ and we'll get the instigator after a cheap shot

This league is clueless. Let's let players dish out cheap shots, but when we attempt to punish them for it, let's reward that team

I have the cbj feed and they only replayed it once for the hit on Jake. They the announcers said he was saying it was a dirty hit. They called it a borderline hit. F ing clown announcers

It's about that time you start ending every practice with a shoot out, the empty space that was Gagner is really hurting them in the shootout department.I 

I'm hoping he gets a read post-New Year.  He has some offensive creativity we could use.  But Hakstol seems to like our disciplined mucker-grinders more.  Odds are he will be a footnote in Flyers' history as the guy involved with the Chris Pronger dump.

-Nice to see both Voracek and Laughton get goals tonight. Laughton created a lot of space for himself on his, in particular.

-Gudas seems to read the offensive zone very well, even if scoring isn't really his game. Several good keeps tonight.

-Ghost tried to do too much in the OT, ended up turning it over when he tried to skate through everyone. He isnt going to be able to do that at this level. He should grow out of that, though.

-Glad to see Jake seems fine after that knee. Dubinsky will probably get a call from the league on that one.

Odds are he will be a footnote in Flyers' history as the guy involved with the Chris Pronger dump.

certainly shaping up that way. I believe he's been a healthy scratch for at least a few games already. I can't understand why; he's doing nobody any good riding the pine. His trade value decreases every game he sits out. Meanwhile the Flyers, while not completely starving for goals like they were last month still could use a pure goal-scorer type - theoretically he'd benefit any line right now other than Couturier's (since they're already finding success).

theoretically he'd benefit any line right now other than Couturier's (since they're already finding success).

Greetings and holiday wishes. 

I guess Hakstol wants to keep his improving nucleus together, and if I were in his shoes, that's understandable. That said, his 3-4th lines aren't contributing much.  You and I can't see what the coach does. Gagner looked good in some of the early games; he can skate and I seem to recall a slick OT goal.  

Laughton redeemed himself with a goal.  Maybe time goes to a promising rookie over a disappointing 1st rounder (Gagner).

Howie

Archived