Flyers Shootouts

icehole

The shootout has been part of the league for about 10 years now. Since then, I dont think the flyers ever had a winning shootout record. They probably wont this year either. Most shootouts dont even go the full 3 rounds because the other team scores twice and the flyers dont score once.

They've been through 4 or 5 coaches, probably 20 goalies, and who knows how many shooters. Yet, we are never confident that they will get the win. Why is that?

Claude Giroux is one of the best players in the league. Out of those top players, he might have the best hands. I think he is predictable now though. He needs to switch it up. An accurate, quick wrist shot can be affective. The deke isnt always the best choice.

No matter how well the goalies play, they are never great "reactors" to the shooter. The good ones that have played for the flyers in the past 10 years (not that theres been many) are good at being square to the shooter and that's why they are good regulation goalies. I think mason is that square goalie but he's not quick to react. Nuevy is a quick reactor along with bobrovsky and nitty.

No matter how much they practice, if they dont have a shooter who can pick the corners and a goalie with great reflexes, they'll never be good in the shootouts.

The shootout has been part of the league for about 10 years now. Since then, I dont think the flyers ever had a winning shootout record. They probably wont this year either. Most shootouts dont even go the full 3 rounds because the other team scores twice and the flyers dont score once.

They've been through 4 or 5 coaches, probably 20 goalies, and who knows how many shooters. Yet, we are never confident that they will get the win. Why is that?

Claude Giroux is one of the best players in the league. Out of those top players, he might have the best hands. I think he is predictable now though. He needs to switch it up. An accurate, quick wrist shot can be affective. The deke isnt always the best choice.

No matter how well the goalies play, they are never great "reactors" to the shooter. The good ones that have played for the flyers in the past 10 years (not that theres been many) are good at being square to the shooter and that's why they are good regulation goalies. I think mason is that square goalie but he's not quick to react. Nuevy is a quick reactor along with bobrovsky and nitty.

No matter how much they practice, if they dont have a shooter who can pick the corners and a goalie with great reflexes, they'll never be good in the shootouts.

I never watch shootouts. I still believe  in Santa Claus and the Eater Bunny.

The shootout has been part of the league for about 10 years now. Since then, I dont think the flyers ever had a winning shootout record.

Funny you should mention that. The selection of the guys for it have bugged me at times choosing to select guys struggling to score like Coots and Jake were head scratching moves.

Then to never have even give Bellemare even one shot in 2 years is crazy dude is pretty good at them i bet if he ever gets a chance (i've suggested it since he's been a Flyer).

And even though i rarely agree with Panotch has an article on it...

"Then again, their shootout lineup was suspect. The decision to use Matt Read over perhaps Shayne Gostisbehere or even Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, the only player on the roster who actually scored a shootout goal of consequence in his entire life.

Bellemare’s shootout goal gave France a 3-2 upset victory over Canada in the preliminary round of the 2014 IIHF World Championships."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/dave-hakstol-every-flyer-under-consideration-shootouts

Give the Frenchman his due....it can't hurt!

Also, like the shootouts or not, they are part of the game. Any coach that does not believe in spending time to work on shootouts is irresponsible. Any fan that thinks that their team shouldnt take shootouts seriously should think about finding a different sport.

Funny you should mention that. The selection of the guys for it have bugged me at times choosing to select guys struggling to score like Coots and Jake were head scratching moves.

Then to never have even give Bellemare even one shot in 2 years is crazy dude is pretty good at them i bet if he ever gets a chance (i've suggested it since he's been a Flyer).

And even though i rarely agree with Panotch has an article on it...

"Then again, their shootout lineup was suspect. The decision to use Matt Read over perhaps Shayne Gostisbehere or even Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, the only player on the roster who actually scored a shootout goal of consequence in his entire life.

Bellemare’s shootout goal gave France a 3-2 upset victory over Canada in the preliminary round of the 2014 IIHF World Championships."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/dave-hakstol-every-flyer-under-consideration-shootouts

Give the Frenchman his due....it can't hurt!

And thats exactly my point. It's almost like the coach is using the shootout as some sort of gimmick to get a struggling player some confidence. Thats irresponsible. It's a point that can put you into the playoffs or keep you out. You HAVE to put in your best players. This isnt a charity.

I've said it before, will say it again--this is probably an indicator of the type of people we draft and trade for. It has happened for too long under four coaches and three GMs.  I hope Hexy changes things. But I won't hold my breath.

Howie

I've said it before, will say it again--this is probably an indicator of the type of people we draft and trade for. It has happened for too long under four coaches and three GMs. I hope Hexy changes things. But I won't hold my breath.

Howie

That's true. But some of those players have been good players but not good "shootout" players. I've seen teams throw 4th liners out in the first three shooters that can do some amazing things. Where do you draw the line? Do you want a guy or two that can't really play "real" hockey but is good one on one, just for shootout reasons? I'm not against it. It's like having vandevelde but with shootout skills.

I've said it before, will say it again--this is probably an indicator of the type of people we draft and trade for. It has happened for too long under four coaches and three GMs.  I hope Hexy changes things. But I won't hold my breath.

Howie

When PEB was signed I thought this was to address the shoot out given his goal against Canada.  Maybe it was however Hexy can't select who goes into the shootout.  Maybe we will see PEB next year?  I don't know if he will be a savior but he can't be any worse. 

@icehole

@off_the_post

@Howie58

Click to 1:41 of this video clip and tell me this isn't a shootout goal scorers goal!???????

That my man is a nasty wrister from out far not in close...but that release is outstanding!!! And a game winner!!!

Just give the guy a damn shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained!!!!

None of these other guys are getting it done!!!

@icehole

@off_the_post

@Howie58

Click to 1:41 of this video clip and tell me this it's a shootout goal scorers goal!???????

That my man is a nasty wrister from out far not in close...but that release is outstanding!!! And a game winner!!!

HaHa! Best part about that video is Matt Read getting rejected for CA RIGHT BEFORE Belly.....Someone send this video to Hakstol Please! :)

HaHa! Best part about that video is Matt Read getting rejected for CA RIGHT BEFORE Belly.....Someone send this video to Hakstol Please! :)

Great point. Yeah i just can't figure why the kid has never got a chance at the shootout and a chance to play on G's left wing hell he is one of the only true LW on the damn team and he has mad speed.

@icehole

@off_the_post

@Howie58

Click to 1:41 of this video clip and tell me this it's a shootout goal scorers goal!???????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuuTtS59510

Thats exactly what I am looking for. He came in with speed, picked a corner, and wristed a quick shot. The goalie had no chance to react. Giroux's moves are great, but it wont be as successful as a quick wrister.

Thats exactly what I am looking for. He came in with speed, picked a corner, and wristed a quick shot. The goalie had no chance to react. Giroux's moves are great, but it wont be as successful as a quick wrister.

I agree. All i'm saying is give the guy a chance.

Utilize the resources right under your nose.

Good lord it is better than giving Coots and Jake who are struggling to score a chance...sure there is a chance of giving them guys some confidence if they can score...but also you must consider the negative impact it may have if they miss and it further damaging their psyche...hell they have given MDZ and Medvedev chances before even trying this guy.

Hell try Belly on Giroux's LW for a game, check the link below maybe they have some good chemistry a passer with a shooter...

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVvlkS7UwAApruf.mp4

Archived