Game #34 - Blues at Flyers - Dec 21 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-122115-vs-STL/45/73408

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.09 (29th), Blues 2.53 (T-17th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.61 (19th), Blues 2.35 (6th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 32/42, Blues 47/44
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.8% (26th), Blues 20.8% (7th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 80.7% (18th), Blues 87.8% (1st)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.5 (9th), Blues 30.2 (10th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.6 (29th), Blues 28.3 (6th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.6% (19th), Blues 51.9% (3rd)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
93 Jakub Voracek - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas 
55 Nick Schultz - 82 Evgeny Medvedev 
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Brandon Manning (healthy), Sam Gagner (healthy), Mark Streit (LTIR, displaced pubic plate).

Blues

20 Alexander Steen - 26 Paul Stastny - 91 Vladimir Tarasenko
56 Magnus Pääjärvi - 42 David Backes - 36 Troy Brouwer
15 Robby Fabbri - 12 Jori Lehterä - 23 Dmitrij Jaskin
10 Scottie Upshall - 93 Scott Gomez - 75 Ryan Reaves

19 Jay Bouwmeester - 27 Alex Pietrangelo
6 Joel Edmundson - 22 Kevin Shattenkirk
4 Carl Gunnarsson - 55 Colton Parayko

34 Jake Allen
[1 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: Robert Bortuzzo (healthy), Kyle Brodziak (healthy), Jordan Caron (healthy), Patrik Berglund (IR, shoulder), Jaden Schwartz (IR, left ankle), Steve Ott (IR. hamstring surgery).

Then they call a penalty on both team when Flyers were about to get a powerplay....bullshit.

I know reffing is difficult and they will make mistakes, but when those mistakes start piling up in the back of your net....c'mon dudes, you're in the NHL.

The Flyers as a team showed great fortitude with this win. That said, the officiating in this game SUCKED. The call on Jake when the Blues were 2 on 1 against Giroux(completely away from the puck) left me baffled. Were the refs trying to get the Flyers to play out of control and take stupid penalties by calling the game lopsided and spotting the Blues a 3-0 lead? The Blues got away with interference/high stick/hooking/tripping plays all game. This is the kind of reffing that leads to all out brawls when teams figure they have nothing else to lose and figure well since they are going to call me for the penalty anyway.....Kudos to Belly for changing the entire tone of the game with his play on the PK. Him and Vandy continue to show why Hakstol likes them on the ice.

I wise coach of mine told me something that I follow till this day and also teach my own players: The Refs will always suck so if you keep that in mind you will never be disappointed

Brilliant, and it also has practical applications in every facet of life!

@Poulin20

the "Sign Man" called it to start the 3rd period with the sign "Choke Time"  lol

Del Zotto made some rather poor decisions in that first period and add that to the bad non calls in the first this wasn't an easy comeback win.  The Blues are much bigger on defense, but the Flyers got them off their game with some quality checking by the Flyers.    

This was a great team effort in the comeback victory.

all I can say is that they "actually" looked like a professional hockey team.  Great comeback win.  Should give them some much needed confidence.  Could Hakstol finally be getting through to these guys?

@Poulin20

the "Sign Man" called it to start the 3rd period with the sign "Choke Time"  lol

Del Zotto made some rather poor decisions in that first period and add that to the bad non calls in the first this wasn't an easy comeback win.  The Blues are much bigger on defense, but the Flyers got them off their game with some quality checking by the Flyers.    

This was a great team effort in the comeback victory.

Oh man I missed that sign...I saw the "Holiday Cheer", and "The Cream always rises to the top" ones.

I dont normally leave early but I almost did after it became 3-0 as for the first time ever at a game I became very ill in the middle of it (I began to get the chills and had to put on my hat scarf and coat).  I was inches away from hitting the bricks when they scored that SHG and then 2 mins later made it 3-2.  At that point I decided to stick it out and I have to say the excitement of the game helped me to forget how bad I felt.  I celebrated the tying and winning goals with as much vigor as if I was well!  The drive home was rough and I did have a fever of 101 as of early this morning but it was so worth  it as that was exhilarating!  

I found some rare footage of the Blues bench right when the GWG was being scored as captured by a fan at the game ;)  (Please advance to 00:54) 

Rare footage of the Blues bench, Classic!

all I can say is that they "actually" looked like a professional hockey team.  Great comeback win.  Should give them some much needed confidence.  Could Hakstol finally be getting through to these guys?

If this really is the Hackstol system coming into play...imagine when we get rid of some more of the dead weight and hopefully replace them with younger and faster players!!! 

If this really is the Hackstol system coming into play...imagine when we get rid of some more of the dead weight and hopefully replace them with younger and faster players!!! 

Like Konecny.

James Duthie @tsnjamesduthie Dec 20

Canada's best player easily in the two pre-tourney games thus far: Ottawa 67 Travis Konecny.

I have been impressed by Medvedev's growth this season and he isn't done yet so once his light comes on completely he will certainly be a keeper for next year and further...MDV has so nice skill skates well and has a howitzer from the point....so i'm bringing him back. 

by blueline going forward after this year...

MDZ/Gudas

MDV/Ghost

?????????

I move on from Luke, Streit and Schultz trade them and move on. Resign Medvedev and Gudas.

Maybe give Alt and Hagg a shot next camp at the bottom 6.

Shayne Gostisbehere has 14 points (6 G, 8 A) in 18 GP. That's a 64 point pace over 82 games.

No way you can send him down.

Edit: Oh yeah for a defenseman one of the biggest stats...he leads the team in +/- at +5!!! Not to be overlooked!

Nice shooting % at 15.8 G next at 12.4....not to shabby for a rookie!

David Strehle ‏@DStrehleTFP  14h14 hours ago
Medvedev said he's actually glad he was scratched earlier in season, had chance to go over video of mistakes with coaches.

Hexy needs to work on an extension for this guy till the kids are ready keep him and Gudas and trade Schultz, Schenn and Streit collect what you can for them.

It will free up some room for maybe some guys on the Phantoms to earn a spot or at least be called up when needed.

The rarity of the three-goal comeback

http://www.tsn.ca/the-rarity-of-the-three-goal-comeback-1.412950

A good read on how hard it is......

Last week, I received an e-mail from a Washington Capitals’ fan asking about single-game win probabilities and the likelihood of erasing three-goal deficits in regulation. Essentially, he wanted to know what the odds were of Washington being able to comeback from what appeared to be an insurmountable Lightning lead.

Tampa Bay’s Friday night collapse was talked about a bit over the weekend, but it’s worth pointing out that they aren’t the only team who has been in this unfortunate position. Anaheim blew a three-goal lead against Dallas back in October, losing in regulation. Also in October: Montreal choked away a three-goal lead in Edmonton.

That’s three collapses just from memory, and there may be a few others that I’m forgetting (the Flyers managed the rare feat Monday night against the Blues). But it’s still worth pointing out just how infrequent (and unlikely) these occurrences are. Further to that point, it’s also worth pointing out that the likelihood of each of these regulations losses is a bit different in nature.

More on link........

Shayne Gostisbehere has 14 points (6 G, 8 A) in 18 GP. That's a 64 point pace over 82 games.

No way you can send him down.

Wow..that is incredible....especially if he can keep that pace up.  That is Karlsson-like numbers there.

Archived