Rumor of Simmonds trade to Montreal ...on SB Nation

RonJeremy

SB Nation has a story of a scout being overheard saying Simmonds has been traded to Montreal for Bealieu and Abrighetto and it will be announced on the 28th. Simmonds comes to play every night and is one of our few physical players up front. I don't see any logic in trading Simmonds. Probably not true.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simmonds being traded makes sense but the terms didnt seem to make sense. Why do we need more defensive prospects while giving up a needed scoring forward? I sould want a forward prospect in return as well as some good pics.

SB Nation has a story of a scout being overheard saying Simmonds has been traded to Montreal for Bealieu and Abrighetto and it will be announced on the 28th. Simmonds comes to play every night and is one of our few physical players up front. I don't see any logic in trading Simmonds. Probably not true.

I saw the same rumor on a Habs Twitter page. I sent the link to Bill Meltzer's Twitter and he said the sources are not credible. Highly unlikely trade in his opinion. Hope the don't move Simmer.

Simmonds being traded makes sense but the terms didnt seem to make sense. Why do we need more defensive prospects while giving up a needed scoring forward? I sould want a forward prospect in return as well as some good pics.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me either, but to answer the bolded:  Maybe the second part is that they're moving Streit (or someone) for a forward?

Johnansen? (no, I'm not serious)

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense IMO. The Flyers could (and should) be looking for trades that bring cap relief and/or scoring.

Simmonds is one of the very few guys on the roster that actually delivers both of those things, plus he's one of the only guys we have who is tough to play against...so I can see plenty of other teams being interested, but trading him just seems unlikely to me from the Flyers' POV. 

I can see Hexy trading him, but that return would be selling low imo. Simmonds is the very definition of a guy you want for a contending playoff run. He's worth more to a team like MTL than just Beaulieu + Alotaspaghetto.

It might make sense if a bad contract gets moved as well, but MTL really doesn't have space to do anything too drastic.

if you want to keep ghost on this team, someone has to be moved, if simmonds gets moved, it's not hextall's fault, blame the salary cap and homer for signing him to a big deal, no one on this team has value right now accept simmonds. read, streit, schenns, no team is looking at them right now otherwise hextall would pulling the deals right now, not unless you want ghost to go back  to the phantoms, someone has to go.

blackhawks had to make deals to keep their good young guys on that team.

SB Nation has a story of a scout being overheard saying Simmonds has been traded to Montreal for Bealieu and Abrighetto and it will be announced on the 28th. Simmonds comes to play every night and is one of our few physical players up front. I don't see any logic in trading Simmonds. Probably not true.

I don't like that trade i like the one FC mentioned in the shoutbox. Simmer for McCarron/Juulsen and 1st. This one i'd hate to see Simmer go but i think i have to pull the trigger on this one.

However it would hurt the scoring and make the club softer for now.

@ruxpin

There is a rumor circulating that the Flyers have dealt Wayne Simmonds to Montreal and it will be announced after the freeze lifts. I talked to a TOP Flyers source who confirmed the rumor to be "Total BS." Happy Holidays! - Eklund

You know what that means right???? Pack your bags Wayne!!!

Edit: Funny Eklund calling someone else's rumor BS huh??? Too funny!!!

As the SBNation article says, this was something overheard by one western radio commentator from a scout at a Calgary game. It's basically the same trade that was floated 3 weeks ago around the 'net. The way Hextall works (We have yet to really see a move coming), I doubt he'd finalize something like this without being able to execute it immediately.

Also, it (Andrighetto/Beaulieu) doesn't work cap-wise from a Habs perspective (neither does the McCarron/Juulson one), so there's that.

FWIW, on NHL Network they were claiming that there's talk that Winnipeg wants Simmonds in exchange for Byfuglien.  The Canadian commentators say that the Flyers have salivated over Fatso for years.  That would kind of defeat the whole process of rebuilding from within.  I really hope that rumor isn't true unless we can get a draft pick and/or dump one of the awful contracts like Vinnie's or Umberger's. 

FWIW, on NHL Network they were claiming that there's talk that Winnipeg wants Simmonds in exchange for Byfuglien.  The Canadian commentators say that the Flyers have salivated over Fatso for years.  That would kind of defeat the whole process of rebuilding from within.  I really hope that rumor isn't true unless we can get a draft pick and/or dump one of the awful contracts like Vinnie's or Umberger's. 

You'd have to send more salary back to Winnipeg, Byfuglien makes too much. And trading Simmonds for a UFA to be, who will be 31 next season if he even signs in Philly, doesn't make sense at all from the perspective of what Hextall has been doing.

something has to be done in order to keep ghost up here, no one is going to bite on umberger, vinnie, streit, read, or the schenns. do you want ghost back to the phantoms?

something has to be done in order to keep ghost up here, no one is going to bite on umberger, vinnie, streit, read, or the schenns. do you want ghost back to the phantoms?

Streit, the Schenns, and Read are all moveable. Streit will be gone at the deadline. The others should only be moved for above average returns at this point.

As for Ghost, there are other ways to have him stay. Probably the most likely scenario would be to send Laughton back down to the Phantoms. I would prefer to see Umberger go, but he seems to have a longer leash for whatever reason.

The Flyers do not need to make a trade to keep Ghost up if they want to. They have to assign someone to the Phantoms to clear a roster spot for Streit's return. That will almost by default clear the necessary cap space. Stop overthinking this.

The Flyers do not need to make a trade to keep Ghost up if they want to. They have to assign someone to the Phantoms to clear a roster spot for Streit's return. That will almost by default clear the necessary cap space. Stop overthinking this.

Someone will have to go because of too many bodies. 14 forwards 7 Dmen and 2 goalies....yep someone is out. Laughton?

I think Hakstol likes Laughton. He seems to play the system very well, even if he isn't scoring. I'd actually be somewhat surprised to see him sent down. I still honestly believe that Ghost will be reassigned until after Streit is moved.

If Hakstol liked Laughton, he would be getting more than 8 minutes a night. He was getting between 10 and 18 minutes a night until mid-November. Since then, he's only played over 10 minutes twice. I'd send him down

I think Hakstol likes Laughton. He seems to play the system very well, even if he isn't scoring. I'd actually be somewhat surprised to see him sent down. I still honestly believe that Ghost will be reassigned until after Streit is moved.

Ghost despite him still needing to work on some things (but there are a few others as well) is to important to the club and their winning/success to reasign, it wouldn't make sense to send one of your best play makers down.

18 points in 14 games is nothing to take lighlty...send him down and you could really hurt him and his teammates.

I don't know what they're going to do, but here's my thinking on why I think Ghost will get sent down. It's based on my observations since the beginning of the season:

Most teams like to keep 2 extra forwards and 1 extra defenseman to have better flexibility. That's how the Flyers approached the start of this season.

I think they want to play 3 of Ghost, Streit, Medvedev, and MDZ.

I think that they want to play 3 of Manning, Schultz, Schenn, and Gudas.

Based on the previous 34 games, I  think they prefer to scratch one of the second group. With the exception of the 6 games Medvedev sat, those are the guys who didn't play when healthy.

Based on play, I wouldn't  think they'd want any of the first four to sit in a pressbox.

Based on those things, as well as Hextall's general belief that time in the minors doesn't hurt a player and Hextall's statement that he would prefer not to have brought Ghost up so early this season, I believe they will send Ghost back down. I also believe that Hextall will look to move Streit first, then Medvedev if he doesn't get any takers, as quickly as he can while getting a good return in order to bring Ghost back up.

Now, they could certainly skate all four of the "puck movers" and scratch two of the "defensive" group while assigning Laughton to LV (or even waive one of the other Dmen if they were sure he wouldn't get picked up), but I think they'll worry about the overall play of the defense in that circumstance. They could also sit Medvedev or MDZ (or assign Medvedev without waivers), but their play doesn't really warrant it. So all things considered, I think they'll move Ghost down, if only for a couple of weeks in order to facilitate a trade of Streit. In this circumstance, I'd be really happy to be wrong, due to the spark he's provided the team. But everyone thought Morin would stick out of TC last season, and Provorov would this season - Hextall and the coaches see things we don't, and they obviously aren't afraid to make unpopular moves with young players if they make the most sense to them.

Archived