Why It's NOT Surprising That The Ducks Are Struggling.

WordsOfWisdom

(Pulls out Hockey News annual.....)

Last season the Ducks were:

• 11th in GPG (2.78)
  • 20th in GAA (2.70)
  • 28th in powerplays (15.7%)
  • 15th in penalty killing (81.0%)
  • 17th in Corsi (50.73%)
  • 11th in Fenwick (51.91%)

Quite frankly, it's a miracle they finished 1st in their conference last season because they weren't that good of a team.  :mellow:

Its simple really.

Remember when I jumped for Joy once the rumor of Bieksa to the Sharks was squashed because Vancouver wanted too much?

Bieksa playing anything more than 14-15 minutes a game on the bottom pairing is tragic to whichever team owns him. The man is always among the leaders in minor penalties, and is old and broken, Unable to be the "Veteran presence" he was acquired to be, taking icetime from better younger players. And the Ducks are playing him 22 minutes a game.

(Pulls out Hockey News annual.....)

Last season the Ducks were:

• 11th in GPG (2.78)
  • 20th in GAA (2.70)
  • 28th in powerplays (15.7%)
  • 15th in penalty killing (81.0%)
  • 17th in Corsi (50.73%)
  • 11th in Fenwick (51.91%)

Quite frankly, it's a miracle they finished 1st in their conference last season because they weren't that good of a team.  :mellow:

This is the part that is puzzling me, this Ducks team was VERY good in the playoffs. They knocked off the pesky and talented Jets in 4 games (one in OT), then took out a very game Flames squad in 5 games....THEN, they pushed the Stanley Cup Champs to a deciding game 7, and even that game was close. This team was deep enough it could have easily won the Cup last spring. The odd part....the Ducks did not make that many drastic roster moves...so how does this team fall apart.

Another strange thing, based on last years playoffs, I thought Silferberg was going to be a star this season. He was not good in just one round, he was good in every game of every series and was a legit threat to score whenever he got the puck in the offensive zone. Much like the team, this players lack of offense is a head scratcher.

Its simple really.

Remember when I jumped for Joy once the rumor of Bieksa to the Sharks was squashed because Vancouver wanted too much?

Bieksa playing anything more than 14-15 minutes a game on the bottom pairing is tragic to whichever team owns him. The man is always among the leaders in minor penalties, and is old and broken, Unable to be the "Veteran presence" he was acquired to be, taking icetime from better younger players. And the Ducks are playing him 22 minutes a game.

Owch!  :blink[1]:

This is the part that is puzzling me, this Ducks team was VERY good in the playoffs. They knocked off the pesky and talented Jets in 4 games (one in OT), then took out a very game Flames squad in 5 games....THEN, they pushed the Stanley Cup Champs to a deciding game 7, and even that game was close. This team was deep enough it could have easily won the Cup last spring. The odd part....the Ducks did not make that many drastic roster moves...so how does this team fall apart.

Another strange thing, based on last years playoffs, I thought Silferberg was going to be a star this season. He was not good in just one round, he was good in every game of every series and was a legit threat to score whenever he got the puck in the offensive zone. Much like the team, this players lack of offense is a head scratcher.

Playing Bieksa 22 minutes a game in all situations when he is abominably bad to the point of making the worst Flyers Dman look good is a drastic change to me. Especially since they let Beauchemin go(Who has been doing well for the Avs incidentally). Kesler is not getting any younger and we knew his contract would become an albatross. Mind you he has not regressed that badly yet. Getzlaf sure isn't looking young and prime though.

Silferberg was concussed in the pre-season by Torres. Beleksey's 22 goals have gone to the Bruins.

I had forgotten about the Silferberg injury at the hands of Raffi Torres. Man, they really need to suspend that guy for life. He takes dirty to a new diabolical level. Perhaps Silfer has never fully recovered but just passed the concussion protocol by pure luck. That would explain a lot. The Ducks were really counting on Silfer, Sekac to name a few.....for increased secondary scoring.

I've always thought Beauchemin was one of the most underrated players in the league. He does every well, positioning, creating passing and shooting lanes, clearing the front of the net, physicality in the corners, a nice mean streak...he really is the whole package. Real bad move by the Ducks to part ways with him.

Only thing I can think of is: parity.  There isn't much that separates top from bottom anymore in the NHL. They basically played above what their stats would indicate last season. Now, the "correction" has occurred I guess?  :huh:

66 goals-for. Owch!   :blink[1]:

Ouch. Sharks have been missing Couture all season and we still have a 4 way tie for 9th with 95 goals lol.

When he finally comes back, it will bump Hertl and Tierney to the lines that suit them facing lesser competition(and Bring back his 67 point shutdown C abilities)

Archived