Marchand suspension

nossagog

Here is the NHL player safety blah blah blah video of the Marchand hit on Boroweichki the other night.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=795110

A couple of things.  First this is simply a dirty hit with intent to injure, period. Anyone, ANYONE, especially Marchand, that says otherwise is just not being honest.  There is no reason to turn so low into someone's knees other that to injure him. There is no way that it is a normal hockey move.   There is no reason PERIOD, to go that low. 

Being that you have a history of this kind of hit, and you can't seem to admit you have a problem, you got off really easy with only three games. Last time you did this you got five games, if the Player Saftey Department really meant something, they would have increased the suspension for the same offense because you didn't learn the first time. This is why the NHL has no respect in the US. This is why people look at the NHL as a bottom tier league.

@nossagog It couldn't have happened to a better guy. There's a reason he's known as "Rat Marchand." I also agree that he got off light. Considering the fact that, as you said, he got five last time, he's very lucky not be put away for quite some time. If the league was consistent, I think he easily could have gotten 10.

I can understand a Boston fan commending him for his performance and how he contributes to the team. But a Boston fan claiming that " oh, you would like him if he was on your team" No, you can appreciate his production, but not have to be so biased as to defend his unsportsmanlike conduct.

The DPS totally blew this. Granted, there was no injury incurred, but with Marchand's well-documented history of doing this, here is a perfect opportunity for the league to make the statement that this kind of play DOES NOT BELONG in this league or any other, and they punish it like they do any other hit like it.

No.

Should have been at least 7 games. If 5 didn't teach Marchand anything, what will 3 do? Nothing.

If the next time he does this, if the player he does it to gets injured--God forbid it be a long-term head injury--the league will have some culpability in causing that injury by not properly disciplining Marchand. If I was that player, I'd sue the league. This was clearly insufficient discipline.

Shameful. And dangerous.

Archived