Deboer's response to Hak's comments

terp

Re Hakstol's comments re Burn's hit on Valdevelde: "Dave should maybe apply for a player-safety job," he said after practice Thursday."

I didn't realize this guy was such a d*ck.  Too bad the Flyers are done playing them this year.

1 hour ago, terp said:

Re Hakstol's comments re Burn's hit on Valdevelde: "Dave should maybe apply for a player-safety job," he said after practice Thursday."

I didn't realize this guy was such a d*ck.  Too bad the Flyers are done playing them this year.

Yeah, we know that even if the Flyers make the Cup Final there's no way the Sharks don't choke in th e first or second round.

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Yeah, we know that even if the Flyers make the Cup Final there's no way the Sharks don't choke in th e first or second round.

:ph34r:

BAZINGA!!!!! Still trying to figure out which is the funnier part of that statement....Flyers making the cup finals or the Sharks making it past the second round........:lol:

What an unwarranted comment.

Never liked Deboer to begin with, his idiotic decisions during his time in NJD, particularly with how he handled Larsson, irked me greatly. All this comment does is further fuel my dislike for him.

I don't think the hit was that bad, except for the part where he hit a player engaged with another player .  It looks to me like he got a lot of CVV's center mass with his hip prior to catching his face with his shoulder.  I thought it was a hard hockey play with an unfortunate outcome. maybe interference gets called there ?  i'm not sure what the call would be to be honest.  Burns is a big fella CVV was in his skating "hunch"  .  no one likes to see a guy get hurt,  he wasn't running around like big Joe was trying to mix it up he was trying to take a couple of guys out of the play to get a scoring chance. 

oh yeah, deBoer is an asshat.

It was an unnecessary hit and he clearly hit his head directly.  

Burns is heavy on the "I hit his chest too" but I'm not sure how that matters.  You his his head directly.  

But it was a pointless hit   What did it achieve beyond injuring the guy?

Should have at least been an interference penalty   And he should probably be suspended for its dangerous nature.

If the former happens, the game probably goes to OT 

if if the ladder happens... Who am I kidding?  He could have stabbed VDV In the eye with a concealed switch blade and they won't suspend him.

Seems to me the puck was up for grabs, Burns did what you're supposed to do, force the opposition off the puck. It was a hockey play, part of the game. It sucks that VV got hurt but getting hurt is (sometimes) part of the business.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

It was an unnecessary hit and he clearly hit his head directly.  

Burns is heavy on the "I hit his chest too" but I'm not sure how that matters.  You his his head directly.  

But it was a pointless hit   What did it achieve beyond injuring the guy?

Should have at least been an interference penalty   And he should probably be suspended for its dangerous nature.

If the former happens, the game probably goes to OT 

if if the ladder happens... Who am I kidding?  He could have stabbed VDV In the eye with a concealed switch blade and they won't suspend him.

Don't be silly.

https://streamable.com/xmyl

And Burns NEVER hits guys like that. No record for any sort. Player safety made the right call here. Too much VV ducking his head last second against a 6ft6 guy and too much chance his head bouncing off the ice is what really hurt him, not the hit.

6 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Don't be silly.

https://streamable.com/xmyl

And Burns NEVER hits guys like that. No record for any sort. Player safety made the right call here. Too much VV ducking his head last second against a 6ft6 guy and too much chance his head bouncing off the ice is what really hurt him, not the hit.

Didn't look illegal to me at all.  

My first look at that hit didn't scream "dirty" to me.  There are going to be times when contact to the head is made but the head wasn't targeted by the checking player.   Putting my bias aside, I wouldn't want a Flyers player to receive discipline if they were on the giving end of a similar check.  IMO you punish intent or when the only potential point of contact is the head.  In this hit it appears to me that Burns is trying to deliver a clean body check but VV makes a move at the last second putting his head in position to be the principle point of contact.  At the point he moves it is impossible and unreasonable to expect Burns to alter his path to avoid contact.

22 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I wouldn't want a Flyers player to receive discipline if they were on the giving end of a similar check. 

The problem is that all too often they do. Mark my words, the next time the Flyer make a similar play, they will be disciplined. That is just how it goes in Gary's NHL.

On 1/3/2016 at 11:26 AM, flyerrod said:

The problem is that all too often they do. Mark my words, the next time the Flyer make a similar play, they will be disciplined. That is just how it goes in Gary's NHL.

I totally agree the league lacks consistency regarding when it does or does not suspend players but I part ways with the notion that the Flyers are scrutinized more than other teams.  There is simply no evidence to support that. 

Archived