Jump to content

Game #37 - Flyers at Kings - Jan 2 2016 - 4:00 ET


brelic

Recommended Posts

First game of the New Year :)

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-1216--LA/45/73667

 

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.14 (29th), Kings 2.70 (12th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.69 (18th), Kings 2.19 (2nd)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 49/54, Kings 61/53
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.0% (27th), Kings 19.8% (12th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 77.6% (24th), Kings 83.5% (7th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.1 (12th), Kings 32.2 (2nd)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.6 (29th), Kings 28.5 (9th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.4% (22nd), Kings 49.6% (21st)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 10 Brayden Schenn
93 Jakub Voracek - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 82 Evgeny Medvedev

30 Michal Neuvirth
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Vincent Lecavalier (healthy), Luke Schenn (healthy), Brandon Manning (healthy).

Kings

17 Milan Lucic - 11 Anze Kopitar - 73 Tyler Toffoli
70 Tanner Pearson - 21 Nick Shore - 12 Marian Gaborik
74 Dwight King - 22 Trevor Lewis - 23 Dustin Brown
49 Michael Mersch - 15 Andy Andreoff - 71 Jordan Nolan

3 Brayden McNabb - 8 Drew Doughty
6 Jake Muzzin - 27 Alec Martinez
7 Derek Forbort - 10 Christian Ehrhoff

32 Jonathan Quick
[1 Jhonas Enroth]

Scratches: Jeff Carter (doubtful, upper body), Jamie McBain (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy), Kyle Clifford (upper body), Matt Greene (upper body).
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Year...SOS.  

Yeah, in typical Flyer fashion we are outhitting the Kings.  But we are getting outhit, outchanced, and outscored.  And as the Kings announcers noted, we have a -17 in first periods...and as scripted, were down 2-0 after 1.  

 

OK, Gudas was not so good on an outlet.  Doughty's shot would have beaten 99 out of 100 goalies.  But there is something called offense and we can't muster a consistent attack.  Other than Simmonds, the O and B looks pretty impotent.  So...bring on Haag. Let's embrace Sanheim. . . . but Pryor and Company better have some scorers in the wings.  

Howie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings:

The boys showed heart and "compete level" to use of Hakstol's cliches.  Ghost won't get an assist but his ability to keep the puck in the attack zone and put a shot somewhere near the net (a problem with a lot on this team) lead to the one goal.  That said--going up against a possible Cup contender shows some weaknesses.  Agreed with RJ that we really don't have  first line...two 2s and two 4s...or maybe a 5 given their scoring incapacity.  

You can fault Gudas for coughing up the puck and setting up their first goal.  But Zdeno Chara will do that on occasion.  The problem is that on a team averaging just over two goals, every mistake is that much worse.  The slow starts are another gig I can't fathom.  If we played the first 10 like we played the last, we might have a different result. 

Howie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Philadelphia (15-15-7) went 0-3-0 on its California trip and has lost five straight on the road. It has allowed eight power-play goals in five games.

I didn't see the game but it seems they are trending in the wrong direction.

I hate the have cap issues because i'd love to see some of the kids get some callup time. It would be a nice message sender but thanks to Homer Hexys hands are pretty much tied.

Special teams have fallen off a cliff.

I hope they can solve some of rhis soon by shipping Streit out for something of value.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Philadelphia (15-15-7) went 0-3-0 on its California trip and has lost five straight on the road. It has allowed eight power-play goals in five games.

I didn't see the game but it seems they are trending in the wrong direction.

I hate the have cap issues because i'd love to see some of the kids get some callup time. It would be a nice message sender but thanks to Homer Hexys hands are pretty much tied.

Special teams have fallen off a cliff.

I hope they can solve some of rhis soon by shipping Streit out for something of value.

 

 

Occam:

 

In the pre-game talk, the LA announcers discussed the cap issue as driving what's up; they even mentioned the demotion of players to the A. 

We're close to the half-way point. So the n is indicating what we'll get.  I like what I see from Hakstol.  But he won't get more from this bunch than Berube. And that should tell management the rebuild will take 2-3 years and work if we move away from mucker-grinders to skilled people.  

Howie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Occam:

 

In the pre-game talk, the LA announcers discussed the cap issue as driving what's up; they even mentioned the demotion of players to the A. 

We're close to the half-way point. So the n is indicating what we'll get.  I like what I see from Hakstol.  But he won't get more from this bunch than Berube. And that should tell management the rebuild will take 2-3 years and work if we move away from mucker-grinders to skilled people.  

Howie

After going 6-2-2 in December prior to the Christmas break, Dave Hakstol’s Flyers are now 0-3 since coming off that five-day break. 

From two points down in the wild card chase to six behind.

Yeah every time i tried to feel good about this group...they bring me back to reality with a heartbreak.

I gues i'll feel better once i see the purge for the season begins...i know Hexy is trying to wait it out to maximize his return but somtimes watching them i wonder if he should just go ahead and pull the trigger now fearing this clowns may continue the spiral downwards actually losing value on assets i'd like to see moved.

A thin line Hexy must walk and i guess it's easy to 2nd guess sitting in my seat.

Just my 2 cents.

#playingwell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But who really wants the players that Hextall would want to move?

 

-our bottom pairing defenseman (Schenn, Schultz, Manning): no one wants these guys right now. you'll have to wait until the deadline to move them

-Umberger/Vinny: LOL ya right

-Read: maybe, but he stinks

-Raffl: maybe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Flyers' power-play units were 2 for 12, while the Flyers gave up six power-play goals in three games. They have yielded nine power-play tallies over their last seven games, and getting back to "Ghost," he was in the box for three power-play goals during the trip.

Ghost needs to pick it up or he could see himself scratched or worse yet sent down.

I won't comment much on his mistakes because i didn't really see the 0-3 road trip.

But the numbers don't look good and it seems he has cooled off.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

But who really wants the players that Hextall would want to move?

 

-our bottom pairing defenseman (Schenn, Schultz, Manning): no one wants these guys right now. you'll have to wait until the deadline to move them

-Umberger/Vinny: LOL ya right

-Read: maybe, but he stinks

-Raffl: maybe

I'm hoping Streit can play well enough to stoke intrest...it would be sweet to remove his 5 mill cap hit while hopefully netting at least a 1st round pick.

*fingers crossed*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The slow starts are another gig I can't fathom.  If we played the first 10 like we played the last, we might have a different result.

This has been a real problem for a long time and now it's habit. Lavy's team had its share of slow starts, under Berube it got much worse and now under Hakstol it's the Flyers' M.O. 1st period stats are shocking, for instance: just once all season have the Flyers scored more than 1 goal in the 1st (Oct 21st vs Boston, 2-2 after 20).

The Flyers' skaters had nothing for 50 minutes. The Kings are a good team, the Flyers could've made a game of it. The last 10 shows they have it in them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, canoli said:

This has been a real problem for a long time and now it's habit. Lavy's team had its share of slow starts, under Berube it got much worse and now under Hakstol it's the Flyers' M.O. 1st period stats are shocking, for instance: just once all season have the Flyers scored more than 1 goal in the 1st (Oct 21st vs Boston, 2-2 after 20).

The Flyers' skaters had nothing for 50 minutes. The Kings are a good team, the Flyers could've made a game of it. The last 10 shows they have it in them.

Yeah. But let's be honest the Flyers don't have a true sniper nowhere on the roster.

Giroux and Jake are playmakers and passers. The rest are just a collection of odd parts miscellaneous forwards, grinders and bunch of bottom 6 guys...sad but true.

In fact they don't even have a "sniper" nowhere in the farm system.

They have a bunch of set up guys but noone to set up......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread reminds of a recurring thought/nightmare: Has the management really left the pre-2004-05 world?  In the past our good draftees might have been traded before their time. Now we have to wonder if they are that good. Mistakes and all, Ghost moves the puck. Maybe Straka is a sniper we need. But it may be years before we find out if the folks at LVH are new and improved or mucker grinders designed for clutch and grab.

Howie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This thread reminds of a recurring thought/nightmare: Has the management really left the pre-2004-05 world?  In the past our good draftees might have been traded before their time. Now we have to wonder if they are that good. Mistakes and all, Ghost moves the puck. Maybe Straka is a sniper we need. But it may be years before we find out if the folks at LVH are new and improved or mucker grinders designed for clutch and grab.

Howie

Yes Howie in response to Straka and maybe he could be a sniper for G and Jake but we'll never know because even though he leads the AHL in goals i've read fans complain saying he doesn't bring it all the time and disappears stretches which maybe true...but doesn't that happen now with the current crop of forwards the Flyers have on the big club?

So what's the big deal with throwing a kid a bone to hopefully fill a hole and maybe spark the club?  

Has anyone ever thought it might be why he does disappear because he knows from the way they have ignored him or just point out what he doesn't do instead of throwing him a bone and just giving him a callup might work as well good lord they need a LW and scoring and maybe he could help.

I mean when is the last time the Flyers have had a forward lead the AHL in goals? And all the Flyer forwards now take plays off yet they continue to skate out over and over.

There is a thing called positive reinforcement. ..maybe they should try it.

Besides he is on his last year of his ELC wouldn't it be nice to know what you rely have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah. But let's be honest the Flyers don't have a true sniper nowhere on the roster.

Giroux and Jake are playmakers and passers. The rest are just a collection of odd parts miscellaneous forwards, grinders and bunch of bottom 6 guys...sad but true.

In fact they don't even have a "sniper" nowhere in the farm system.

They have a bunch of set up guys but noone to set up......

Well they do have the AHL's leading goal scorer in Straka and Danick Martel has 12 goals this year which is in the top 20 in the AHL.   Don't get me wrong I don't project either Straka or Martel to be an elite level sniper to balance out a top line with G and Jake but I do think they can develop into more consistent secondary scoring threats on a 2nd or 3rd line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Well they do have the AHL's leading goal scorer in Straka and Danick Martel has 12 goals this year which is in the top 20 in the AHL.   Don't get me wrong I don't project either Straka or Martel to be an elite level sniper to balance out a top line with G and Jake but I do think they can develop into more consistent secondary scoring threats on a 2nd or 3rd line. 

So lets give em a callup...oh wait you can't too much dead weight to do that.

But when the chance arises why...i mean scratching Read and yet RJ gets to skate? Unreal....hasn't scored a goal in 39 games?????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...