Drouin wants out

flyercanuck

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

More than good. DeAngelo is arguably your strongest Offensive Defenseman Prospect. A year or two away, but doing well in the AHL.

DeAngelo sure is.

I don't think his abilities were ever questioned. From what I've read, the issue with him has been his 'attitude'....or lack of a good attitude, however you want to look at it. But it seems, playing in the AHL with relative 'men' as opposed to majority teens you'd find in Jrs, has paid off for him.

Being an offensive defenseman, one would expect his play without the puck to be his weakest aspect...and it might very well be. The Bolts may need to decide whether they can live with his defensive liabilities if he can produce enough on the offensive side. Or maybe he raises his defensive game to at LEAST average before becoming a full time NHL player.

But seriously...keep an eye on Nikita Nesterov and Slater Koekkoek...I think both those young guys are underrated, not many people know about them, but they seem to me, they play like junior versions of Jason Garrisson (Nesterov) and Anton Stralman (Koekkoek) respectively. And they ceiling still to get better.

But all in all, going back to the original topic here, as much as I would like to have seen Jonathan Drouin mature as a Tampa Bay Lightning player, if he really wants out, Stevie Y should make that happen, as I believe the TB GM can get a nice return for him, PLUS, I really do believe the Bolts can absorb the loss of Drouin, crazy as that sounds...especially with a guy like Vladislav Namestnikov (he can play both C and W) who looks like he is finally making big strides forward to being a regular NHL player.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did not report to an AHL game tonight. Suspended indefinitely.

Welp. Drouin's value is plummeting rapidly. Kinda sucks for Tampa as his value was still rather high.

His value had dropped to 80 cents on the dollar when it came out he wanted a trade.

Now they will be lucky to get 60 cents on the dollar.

17 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Welp. Drouin's value is plummeting rapidly. Kinda sucks for Tampa as his value was still rather high.

His value had dropped to 80 cents on the dollar when it came out he wanted a trade.

His value likely has dropped, however, you can still bet there are some teams out there who are salivating at the chance to low ball TB on an offer for Drouin....despite all that's been going on.

The guy still has a skill set that is sought after by enough clubs, so that if Yzerman can just indentify who really wants him bad enough, and plays those GM's against each other, he may still get good enough value for Jonathan when all is said and done.

No doubt this has made Stevie Y's job more difficult but not impossible. Not like he is trying to unload some has-been, also-ran, or complete bust here.

As for Drouin's reputation, well, what the media or even fans think about him in the long run isn't so much an issue...but rather what his NHL and/or AHL peers think of him. Right now, the way things look, the message is being sent out the he feels he is "too good for the AHL" and that he should be  handed what he wants simply because he was a 3rd overall pick.

You think that's gonna fly real well for guys who may be just as talented, or not that far below him who toil away, pay their dues, and bide their time to get to the NHL? Probably not.

interesting info via  generalfanager tweets

Drouin was sent down with 38 games into the season.  He won't get an accrued season unless he is on an active roster for 2 more games.  Since he has one accrued season all ready keeping him in the AHL for the remainder of the year will mean he won't be a UFA until July 2022.

48 minutes ago, hf101 said:

interesting info via  generalfanager tweets

Drouin was sent down with 38 games into the season.  He won't get an accrued season unless he is on an active roster for 2 more games.  Since he has one accrued season all ready keeping him in the AHL for the remainder of the year will mean he won't be a UFA until July 2022.

Wow. Not well played by Drouin.

The Lightning have no need to move him at all.

And with his contract situation, they can keep him in limbo indefinitely.

He has zero leverage and, if I'm Stevie Y, he's getting nothing and liking it.

Sucks to lose the valueof a third overall, but it's more important to make the point that no players is more important than the game.

Sit there. Get nothing. Suck. On. It.

13 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'd make an example out of him and just bury him in the minors forever. :)

I hope Toronto isn't looking at this guy.

Play me where I want or I will take my puck and go home. What a selfish brat.

He has shown little if anything to justify his high pick in the draft, and now the big mean lightning wont just give him away to another team to let him reboot his career.

Yzerman holds all of the cards, still another year on the entry level deal. No obligation to do anything.

And guess what? The Lightning have caught fire since this childish brat has taken his pouting public, six wins in a row. I wrote an article in here a couple of weeks ago wondering what was wrong with the Bolts, well now I know. And they sent him to his room with no supper, and the team responded.

I hope Yzerman sticks to his guns and waits until he gets the deal that makes sense for him. And I am going to root for Drouin to bomb wherever he ends up.

It could be like Turris out in the dessert in Arizona, he scored 25 points a year and cried his way out and is now doing quite nicely in Ottawa. I will never be a Turris fan because of his babyfied antics and the same applies with Drouin. But my personal opinion is Drouin was a product of his linemate in Junior and will never amount to much. I hope Yzerman leaves him twisting slowly in the wind until he gets what he wants.

24 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Yzerman holds all of the cards, still another year on the entry level deal. No obligation to do anything

I think it's more than likely that the team will get the league to slide his contract and he'll still have two years on the ELC after this one.

Regardless, his agent has effectively screwed him out of a year of UFA status because I can't believe Tampa will give him two more games this season, much less trade him.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The Lightning have no need to move him at all.

And with his contract situation, they can keep him in limbo indefinitely.

He has zero leverage and, if I'm Stevie Y, he's getting nothing and liking it.

Sucks to lose the valueof a third overall, but it's more important to make the point that no players is more important than the game.

Sit there. Get nothing. Suck. On. It.

35 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Play me where I want or I will take my puck and go home. What a selfish brat.

He has shown little if anything to justify his high pick in the draft, and now the big mean lightning wont just give him away to another team to let him reboot his career.

Yzerman holds all of the cards, still another year on the entry level deal. No obligation to do anything.

And guess what? The Lightning have caught fire since this childish brat has taken his pouting public, six wins in a row. I wrote an article in here a couple of weeks ago wondering what was wrong with the Bolts, well now I know. And they sent him to his room with no supper, and the team responded.

I hope Yzerman sticks to his guns and waits until he gets the deal that makes sense for him. And I am going to root for Drouin to bomb wherever he ends up.

It could be like Turris out in the dessert in Arizona, he scored 25 points a year and cried his way out and is now doing quite nicely in Ottawa. I will never be a Turris fan because of his babyfied antics and the same applies with Drouin. But my personal opinion is Drouin was a product of his linemate in Junior and will never amount to much. I hope Yzerman leaves him twisting slowly in the wind until he gets what he wants.

Best two responses I have seen.  Agree with both of you wholeheartedly.  No players should be bigger than the team or sport.  Yzerman certainly holds all the cards.  I doubt Drouin is going anywhere in the immediate future.  Are we sure Drouin dosen't have Carl Lindros as his agent. :ph34r:

You know, bringing up Lindros is an interesting perspective. I see it as a cautionary tale.

The franchise that "gave up" Lindros won multiple Cups. The franchise that got him won zero, had a massive headache almost every season and wound up walking away.

Tampa was in the Final last season without Drouin. They have a solid top six - assuming they re-sign Stamkos (and, let's be honest here, Drouin is no Stamkos). Stamkos had 23 goals and 46 points as a rookie and then had points in 16 of his next 19 games on the way to 51 goals and 95 points.

Drouin had 4 goals, 32 points in 70 games as a rook. He then had points in five of 19 games in his second second (eight total).

And the thing is too, let's say even if Drouin reverses course, tells the Bolts "Ok, ok, I was wrong, you were right, I will play for the Crunch until you say I can come back"....

How do you think that relationship with his Syracuse teammates, coaching staff, and team captain will be? Not good I imagine.

Rob Zettler is the head coach in Syracuse, Mike Angelidis is the team captain.

If I remember correctly, Zettler, while not being a particularly good NHL'er, was still a hard working, blue collar type player. Mike Angelidis, at 31 yrs old, is a mostly career AHL'er who gets a call once in a while from the Lightning for a fill in role due to an injury or two. Both those guys can't be happy about having a 20-yr who may feel he was too good to play with them.

Especially since Drouin never really played a full season outside of Juniors to prove he no longer needs to be down there in the first place.

I am just saying, this entire fiasco is seeing Jonathan Drouin hurt not only his credibility as a pro, but financially he is shooting himself in the foot as well, and he likely isn't making any friends in the locker rooms of either the Lightning or Crunch.

Finally, while I fully agree that Drouin is responsible for his own actions and career, I also place much blame on his agent, whom this 20-yr old kid trusted to guide his career correctly.

I mean, that's why you hire an agent right? To help keep your career on course. What the hell does a 20 yr old kid really know about the pitfalls of trying to make it in the NHL after all?

Again, not making excuses for Drouin, but his agent failed him miserably here.

Steve Yzerman will NOT be bullied by anyone into doing anything that isn't in the best interest of his team. Bolts are getting healthy now, they are starting to resemble the team that made the Finals last season, and the team, when healthy IS deep enough and talented enough to where not having Drouin in the lineup isn't that big a deal at this point in time.

Yzerman and the Bolts will likely squat on Drouin's rights, not pay him (unless he finally decides to go play in the AHL), and just wait till the right deal comes along.

20 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yzerman and the Bolts will likely squat on Drouin's rights, not pay him (unless he finally decides to go play in the AHL), and just wait till the right deal comes along.

He'll be lucky if Yzerman doesn't tell him he's not welcome in Syracuse this season.

I really have no idea what his agent is thinking.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

He'll be lucky if Yzerman doesn't tell him he's not welcome in Syracuse this season.

Maybe they should send him to Syria where he can play on the, ahem, front line.

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really have no idea what his agent is thinking.

Well, unless Yzerman wants to play the ELC card you mentioned earlier....but I think if Drouin decides he will play in the AHL after all, it is to the Bolts' benefit because that way, at least, scouts can come in, see him play, and it will increase the chance that another team will be interested enough to offer Yzerman a good enough deal to take him off their hands.

Archived