Drouin wants out

flyercanuck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Maybe they should send him to Syria where he can play on the, ahem, front line.

LOL... well played.  Definitely made me laugh. 

He better take plenty of sunscreen, I  heard it gets awfully hot over there.  Oh and he better learn to speak Arabic.  :ph34r:  

2 hours ago, radoran said:

You know, bringing up Lindros is an interesting perspective. I see it as a cautionary tale.

The franchise that "gave up" Lindros won multiple Cups. The franchise that got him won zero, had a massive headache almost every season and wound up walking away.

Tampa was in the Final last season without Drouin. They have a solid top six - assuming they re-sign Stamkos (and, let's be honest here, Drouin is no Stamkos). Stamkos had 23 goals and 46 points as a rookie and then had points in 16 of his next 19 games on the way to 51 goals and 95 points.

Drouin had 4 goals, 32 points in 70 games as a rook. He then had points in five of 19 games in his second second (eight total).

They also have a nice six game winning streak going. They don't need him. Addition by subtraction.

Listening to some local sports talk here in Minneapolis-St. Paul on the Jonathan Drouin situation:

It seems the Minnesota Wild were/are one of the teams with a serious interest in acquiring Jonathan Drouin from the Lightning. Others such as the Blues, Jets, Ducks, and Canadiens were said to be in on him as well, but leaving those teams out for a bit, and from what I gathered listening to the locals here from the Wild perspective, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is seriously contemplating parting with a current roster player in order to acquire scoring.

No secret the Minnesota Wild have nosedived in the offense department, but the feeling around these parts is that while Drouin may eventually turn into a fantastic offensive player, he IS NOT that right now, and the Wild NEED that right now!

Throw in the fact that the rumors were the Bolts were asking for Matthew Dumba in return (who is rounding into a real nice defenseman for Minnesota), and despite his need for offense, I can see GM Chuck Fletcher balking at that.

From a fan's perspective, NO ONE would be more tickled than I to see my two favorite teams make a deal that that helps each team out. In a hypothetical like Drouin for Dumba, for instance, I get to keep those two good looking players with plenty of upside in my "family of teams"......but if I am Minnesota, I am very, VERY careful here.

Matt Dumba (or even Mikael Granlund, another name that was bandied about, and who is currently struggling offensively), are guys that have proven they are willing to put in the work, they HAVE made improvements since they were brought up  (though obviously each still has ways to go before they are considered among the elite players of the league), and both are still under 24 yrs of age.

Jonathan Drouin, while he has the right skill set and the right age, has NOT shown that he has the right work ethic. And if the Wild are looking for a forwards equivalent to Devan Dubnyk to help save their season, Drouin doesn't look like he can be that savior this year.

If Minny does deal for Drouin, I hope they do so because they truly feel they can help mold Drouin into a complete professional. But that would come with some risks.

What if Drouin struggles in Minnesota? What if THEY want to send him to Iowa (like they did with Dumba and Granlund) to work on some thing before being recalled? Is Drouin gonna pout about that too?

And if Stevie Y can actually score a Dumba or a Granlund from the Wild for Drouin, that would be an absolute STEAL for TB...especially young defenseman Dumba, who I can see EASILY helping to cover the loss of letting Coburn walk at season's end AND help facilitate the burying of one Matthew Carle to the minors via the waiver wire.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If Minny does deal for Drouin, I hope they do so because they truly feel they can help mold Drouin into a complete professional. But that would come with some risks.

If it's scoring NOW that you need, I don't see how trading for Drouin is the move that you make. He might be years from putting up the kind of scoring numbers that you need. He might never amount to anything. You need an established scorer. I think this is the central dilemma facing many of the teams you mention being interested in him: MTL, ANA etc - they are all looking for scoring NOW. He's simply not the answer at this point IMHO.

Very nice take on the Drouin vs Yzerman situation from BostonPucks.com (one of our partners).

Fully agree with this take:

http://bostonpucks.com/2016/01/22/do-you-think-this-guy-loses-sleep-over-jonathan-drouin/

You can bet that despite all the asshattery between Walsh and Drouin, that teams will still have interest in getting the disgruntled winger.

Yzerman knows that.

From the Ottawa Sun about a day ago.........

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/01/22/tampa-bay-lightning-want-ottawa-senators-prospect-thomas-chabot-in-any-trade-for-jonathan-drouin

They indicate that if the Senators want Drouin, they need to give up two top prospects, including Ottawa's 2015 1st rounder, Thomas Chabot.

No way Ottawa does this deal (at least, if their GM has any sanity he won't)...and NOT because I don't think Drouin could work out for them, but rather, because Drouin still carries risk, it's a two for one no matter how you slice it, and good (or at least projected good) defensemen are harder to come by than good or projected good forwards.

Yzerman, however, is probably well aware Ottawa wouldn't make a deal like this, yet still listed what his price would be for them.......and likely for Detroit, Boston, Montreal....or anyone else in the same division. Age old tactic of charging MORE to your division rivals for a valuable asset than you would someone outside the division.

Teams out West probably get the best "deal" on Drouin.

Again, Bolts are in no hurry to trade him unless the return is immediately satisfactory.

Article mentions Drouins stock "dropping by the minute", and while that may hold some truth, bottom line is, there is still a market for a talented, albeit immature, 20 yr old with top six, if not top line, potential.

Keep playing the waiting game, Stevie Y.

You'd definitely like to see him with more AHL points, but that's not the end of the world in and of itself. Leon Draisaitl is the same age, scored 2 points in 6 AHL games, yet still has been flourishing in the NHL. That doesn't mean that Drouin would do the same thing, but all is not lost. The AHL is a tough league, and 7 games is a pretty small sample size either way.

Ran across this today while looking around the internet for hockey news:

Would Gorton offer Steve Yzerman rookie Dylan McIlrath and a first-round pick for Jonathan Drouin? Would the Tampa Bay GM accept it?

Yzerman reportedly wants a young, right-handed defenseman, and he is trying to trade Drouin, 20, the 2013 third-overall pick, following the uber-talented winger’s public trade request and subsequent suspension for refusing to show up to an AHL game.

McIlrath (UFA on July 1, $600,000 cap hit) makes a good first pass, has a strong shot, plays responsibly in his own end and has a mean streak. But since Vigneault insists on playing Boyle over him, the Rangers might as well trade him while he has value.

Sather has given Yzerman enough first-rounders already, but Gorton could justify it in a deal for Drouin. It would be like the Rangers’ signing of Hayes, a former Chicago first-round pick who never inked with the Blackhawks — another way of finding the first-round talent they couldn’t draft.

It's an excerpt in an article in the NY Daily News talking about the Rangers possible trade options for the deadline.

I am not saying that this is an actual possibility (nor does the article), but it is intriguing to me because I recently did a thread about Dylan McIlrath here:

And in looking at what McIlrath brings, along with the Rangers' first round pick, this may not be a bad for the Lightning.

McIlrath is only 23 himself, and will be an RFA currently making just $600K. Even with a raise, I bet the Bolts could make him a nice offer to keep him happy, maybe something like 3 or 4 years at around $875-$900K perhaps.

As I stated in the McIlrath thread, he really does seem like a smart defensemen who just needs more actual NHL ice time to fully mature. Bolts can give him that as a bottom pair guy, as it seems Alain Vigneault would rather give the ice time in that slot to Dan Boyle.

Then the Bolts getting a first round pick on top of that for a disgruntled forward? Hey, I'd really think about that deal if I were Yzerman.

I dunno. Probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be angry with the TB GM if he made this one.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

You'd do that eh?

Yup. Our top 6 is good now, but needs an injection of young top talent. Hertl looks great mind you, but I don't know if he will be a 1st line player without Joe Thornton, who can make anyone look like a superstar. Marleau is declining before our eyes and is on a line with Ward and a revolving door of Nieto, Wingels and Karlsson.

Our 3rd line of Donskoi/Couture + the other part of that revolving door looks better than our 2nd line IMO.

If they want a Karlsson, or Nieto or Wingels I'd throw one of them in too.

On the bolts, Drouin, while I dislike how he is handling the situation, was watching as Stamkos and several players in front of him made even worse errors than he did defensively, but did not get icetime cut or benching's like he did. He is a kid. As he gets older he will hopefully understand the error of his ways and paying his dues, but I can think of myself when I was 20-21 and watched as a supervisor cut older guys who had been on the job longer slack for making far worse mistakes than I did, while openly berating me for seemingly less significant stuff and the feeling of being targeted by a boss who did not like me it instilled at the time. But the truth is, the bosses I had at the time saw something in me and pushed me a certain way to get the best out of me. Sometimes the better you are at something, the more they pile on and more they hold you to a different standard. I find myself doing the same things on occasion to younger staff.

Mind you, I bulldozed through that stuff and not only outlasted all those older guys, but now I run the department. And one of those bosses from way back when is now one of my best friends and godfather to my daughters lol.

Everyone is different. We don't know all the details on what influenced this behavior.

The strange thing is, last week a few Tampa players apparently anonymously told the media they wished they played a back to back in Montreal so they could go visit and sit and talk with Drouin. Apparently, while Cooper and Yzerman give him a hard time, he is unanimously liked in that locker room by his fellow players and none of the players blame him and would welcome him back with open arms.

46 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Yup. Our top 6 is good now, but needs an injection of young top talent. Hertl looks great mind you, but I don't know if he will be a 1st line player without Joe Thornton, who can make anyone look like a superstar. Marleau is declining before our eyes and is on a line with Ward and a revolving door of Nieto, Wingels and Karlsson.

Our 3rd line of Donskoi/Couture + the other part of that revolving door looks better than our 2nd line IMO.

If they want a Karlsson, or Nieto or Wingels I'd throw one of them in too.

On the bolts, Drouin, while I dislike how he is handling the situation, was watching as Stamkos and several players in front of him made even worse errors than he did defensively, but did not get icetime cut or benching's like he did. He is a kid. As he gets older he will hopefully understand the error of his ways and paying his dues, but I can think of myself when I was 20-21 and watched as a supervisor cut older guys who had been on the job longer slack for making far worse mistakes than I did, while openly berating me for seemingly less significant stuff and the feeling of being targeted by a boss who did not like me it instilled at the time. But the truth is, the bosses I had at the time saw something in me and pushed me a certain way to get the best out of me. Sometimes the better you are at something, the more they pile on and more they hold you to a different standard. I find myself doing the same things on occasion to younger staff.

Mind you, I bulldozed through that stuff and not only outlasted all those older guys, but now I run the department. And one of those bosses from way back when is now one of my best friends and godfather to my daughters lol.

Everyone is different. We don't know all the details on what influenced this behavior.

The strange thing is, last week a few Tampa players apparently anonymously told the media they wished they played a back to back in Montreal so they could go visit and sit and talk with Drouin. Apparently, while Cooper and Yzerman give him a hard time, he is unanimously liked in that locker room by his fellow players and none of the players blame him and would welcome him back with open arms.

Ok fair enough.  Do you think you'd have the same opinion of Drouin if you hadn't watched him light it up in Halifax?

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Ok fair enough.  Do you think you'd have the same opinion of Drouin if you hadn't watched him light it up in Halifax?

I have been flip flopping on it as the stories keep coming out.

Since a bunch of Tampa players came out supporting Drouin and wanting to coax him back, I was surprised. If he was some immature locker room problem, most of the guys would not give him the time of day once he left the way he did. Instead, we hear players saying they want to sit with him as a group because he is well liked in the room and coax him back.

DROUIN TALK: Some Lightning fans seemed intrigued when Canada's TSN TV network reported last week that teammates would welcome back suspended wing Jonathan Drouin. The report said players wished they could have spoken to Drouin this month while in Montreal, where Tampa Bay was playing and Drouin was working out, and coaxed him into returning.

Drouin, who requested a trade in November, has been suspended since Jan. 20 for refusing to play for AHL Syracuse while he awaits a deal.

That teammates still support Drouin is not a surprise. They've praised him as a good kid and teammate ever since his trade request became public in January. Several veterans have reached out to Drouin, including Stamkos and forward Brian Boyle.

But let's get one thing straight: Don't expect Drouin to come back to the Lightning, even if he's not traded by the deadline. That ship has sailed.

Stamkos said he has kept in touch with Drouin, but he hasn't tried to convince him to come back.

"That's obviously a tough situation," Stamkos said. "Guys obviously respect him as a teammate, and he never let any of that stuff creep into the (locker) room. We have to let (Yzerman) do his job in that regard and see what happens."

So we have some conflicting reports lol

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, if Alex Ovechkin can sleep in then so can Drouin........... oh wait....... :biggrin:

First thing I thought of.

If only Drouin had a couple hundred goals and a 12 year contract when he did it.

:hocky:

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2016 at 11:57 AM, Hatrik98 said:

I think Drouin needs to shut his pie hole right now. He is too young to be demanding trades. He hasn't put in the time or work into the system yet. He needs to suck it up and learn.

Welcome to hockey forum and a belated happy birthday!

• 8 months later...

Archived