Drouin wants out

flyercanuck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolts have had a 'process' of how they work young players in to the lineup for a few years now.

Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Nikita Kucherov, heck, even Stamkos went through it.

Guys like Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, Vladi Namestnikov and yes, Jonathan Drouin are going through that process now.

Drouin has been given chances to stay on the top line, working his way from the 4th line, and the results have been a mixed bag. I maintain he is still 'moldable', however, if his attitude really IS that he is 'too good' for the TB process, and he really wants out, I say, Stevie Y should do everything he can to make that happen and ship him off somewhere, and bring back a talent or two that wold love to play for the Lightning.

Yzerman can probably get someone's first round pick for him, or get a nice package of 'almost there' AHL talent for him that will be NHL ready in about a season or two.

It is one thing to give up on a guy just because he struggles (and you KNOW he has the talent)....in that case, I say stick with him. But it is another thing entirely if the player in question simply doesn't want to be there for whatever reason. I NEVER supported keeping a guy around if he isn't on board with the process the team has in place. It is bad for the locker room, bad for future development of other young players, and it is an unnecessary distraction.

Hopefully, Yzerman can find a solution....whether it is a trade, or simply 'talking Drouin down from the ledge' so to speak....but if he decides on NOT trading him, fully investigate into his sincerity to stay on AND perhaps fully investigate the Bolts' players overall relationship with Jonathan Cooper, just to make sure the coach isn't the problem.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Not surprised. I have thought JD was a putulant prima dona since watching him in Halifax.

He definitely does have a bit of Prima Donna. I was hoping it was youthful arrogance which could be translated into hardcore alpha male competitiveness like many do, but unfortunately, it seems to be going the other way into entitled brat territory.

His skill is unquestionable and I loved watching him play, but kid, you gotta work through this sort of thing and earn your stripes.

He definitely has a quick shortcut to Cooper's doghouse compared to many on the team and it must eat at him to sit half a period for one mistake while Stamkos/Killorn make oddles of mistakes and stink up the joint but have a guaranteed 18-20 minutes a game, but again, earn your stripes Kid. Just say "Yes coach" and keep trying to learn every step of the way and give it your all.

That and you have absolutely no leverage here. Tampa owns you right now.

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bolts have had a 'process' of how they work young players in to the lineup for a few years now.

Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Nikita Kucherov, heck, even Stamkos went through it.

Guys like Nikita Nesterov, Slater Koekkoek, Vladi Namestnikov and yes, Jonathan Drouin are going through that process now.

Drouin has been given chances to stay on the top line, working his way from the 4th line, and the results have been a mixed bag. I maintain he is still 'moldable', however, if his attitude really IS that he is 'too good' for the TB process, and he really wants out, I say, Stevie Y should do everything he can to make that happen and ship him off somewhere, and bring back a talent or two that wold love to play for the Lightning.

Yzerman can probably get someone's first round pick for him, or get a nice package of 'almost there' AHL talent for him that will be NHL ready in about a season or two.

It is one thing to give up on a guy just because he struggles (and you KNOW he has the talent)....in that case, I say stick with him. But it is another thing entirely if the player in question simply doesn't want to be there for whatever reason. I NEVER supported keeping a guy around if he isn't on board with the process the team has in place. It is bad for the locker room, bad for future development of other young players, and it is an unnecessary distraction.

Hopefully, Yzerman can find a solution....whether it is a trade, or simply 'talking Drouin down from the ledge' so to speak....but if he decides on NOT trading him, fully investigate into his sincerity to stay on AND perhaps fully investigate the Bolts' players overall relationship with Jonathan Cooper, just to make sure the coach isn't the problem.

On another hand, Maybe package Carle with Drouin to Colorado for..........?

Just getting rid of Carle's contract is nice, and Colorado has shown willingness to grab over the hill bad "Veteran" defensemen(I thought we would have to pay someone to take Stuart, and they have us a 2nd)

Problem is, Colorado does not exactly have an abundance of prospects outside Rantanen.

But they might have that old "Him and Mackinnon were gold together" spark in their eyes.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

On another hand, Maybe package Carle with Drouin to Colorado for..........?

Just getting rid of Carle's contract is nice, and Colorado has shown willingness to grab over the hill bad "Veteran" defensemen(I thought we would have to pay someone to take Stuart, and they have us a 2nd)

Problem is, Colorado does not exactly have an abundance of prospects outside Rantanen.

But they might have that old "Him and Mackinnon were gold together" spark in their eyes.

Oh, believe me, I had considered simply unloading Carle's contract with a player to be a bonus.

Here's the caveat (and the reason Carle is still a member of the Lightning):  Mr. Carle has a NTC for this year and the following two years.

So, unless the Bolts make him a regular healthy scratch, or try waiving him (NTC forbids trades, but they CAN waive then try assigning him to the AHL, no?), they are stuck with him. But that doesn't help in the Drouin situation.

Unloading Carle's contract, unloading Filppula's contract and letting Brayden Coburn walk at the end of the season EASILY gets Stamkos the money his agent would want....but Carle's NTC, Filppula's No MOVEMENT Clause (greater than a NTC right? As it forbids even waives and re-assignments), and the fact the Bolts still need to eventually pay the Triplets, Victor Hedman and keep Ben Bishop makes things pretty hairy.

But no...as nice as packaging either Carle or Filppula along with Drouin somewhere sounds, it just isn't a plausible scenario for Steve Yzerman.

And just a note: I actually LIKE Valteri...but I'd rather sign and keep Stamkos and then sign and keep Hedman above keeping Filppula's 5M per, Carle's 5.5M per, and Coburn's 4.5M per.

18 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Yeah, sometimes that stuff can be a difference-maker. 

Re: Drouin. I was right behind the Moosehead bench for a few games and it was Drouin's body language that I didn't like. And they were winning! I wouldn't ever want to see that in a 10 year old player never mind an 18 year old. It certainly made an impression on me.

He has some growing up to do and he does not appear keen on doing it.

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

@Podein25 I am not at all in favor of pursuing prima donnas who "request trades" with six career goals (half on the power play) and 40 points in 89 career games.

He's not playing his hand very well it appears. We shall know soon whether or not he is dumb enough to not report to Syracuse.

On January 3, 2016 at 0:08 PM, flyercanuck said:

According to Bobby mac Drouin has asked to be traded from Tampa...Stamkos doesn't seem happy now this...WTF is going on Stevie?

Embedded image permalink

I think Drouin needs to shut his pie hole right now. He is too young to be demanding trades. He hasn't put in the time or work into the system yet. He needs to suck it up and learn.

1 minute ago, Hatrik98 said:

I think Drouin needs to shut his pie hole right now. He is too young to be demanding trades. He hasn't put in the time or work into the system yet. He needs to suck it up and learn.

Yeah. At least he appears to have done that. I think he may have played his 1st game with the Crunch last night. What about this: Buff to TB for Drouin, Slater Koekkoek (D), and their 1st?

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah. At least he appears to have done that. I think he may have played his 1st game with the Crunch last night. What about this: Buff to TB for Drouin, Slater Koekkoek (D), and their 1st?

I think I would rather take Hedman than Drouin. But to get the 1st rd'er, It might be worth looking at.

4 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

I think I would rather take Hedman than Drouin. But to get the 1st rd'er, It might be worth looking at.

I can't see TB moving Hedman. Koekkoek is a great D-man prospect

Bob McKenzie on TSN 690 on the potential asking price for teams interested in Jonathan Drouin.

“Well, I think it’s pretty easy to figure what Steve Yzerman is looking for, depending on the team that he’s talking to. If he’s going to talk to the Vancouver Canucks, he wants Bo Horvat. If he’s going to talk to the Calgary Flames, he’s going to want Sam Bennett. If he talks to the St. Louis Blues, he’s going to want Robby Fabbri. If he’s going to talk to the Montreal Canadiens,  I’m not sure what he’d want there. I’m not saying the Canadiens would do this, but I’m sure he would say, ‘I want Alex Galchenyuk.’ And maybe there are other elements within the Canadiens, whether it’s Scherbak or McCarron or whatever.

“But it’s obviously a really good young player, who’s either on his entry level or just coming out of entry level, so that he knows it’s a fixed-cost asset. They’ve got a cap situation in Tampa. They can’t take on a lot of salary right now, so whatever player comes back forJonathan Drouin – if they intend to insert him in the lineup – it’s got to fit dollar-wise, and that’s probably less than a $2 million salary. So I don’t see him going for any experienced or higher-priced guys.

“But if you talk to the Anaheim Ducks, whether it’s Hampus Lindholm or Sami Vatanen – the list goes on and on for young players on entry level, or just coming out of entry level, that would be real good players for a long time. So if Jonathan Drouin goes elsewhere and becomes a star, the Tampa Bay Lightning has someone in their lineup who is going to be an above average player.“

This piece suggests the Ducks are the best fit for Drouin: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ducks-a-logical-fit-for-lightnings-drouin/

I guess I could see them trading Lindholm or Vatanen or Shea Theodore who scored his first NHL goal last night. Does TB need D-men? They have both Carle and Coburn so that suggests the answer is Yes!  Funny, I've owned all 4 of the players in bold at one point in my keeper league. Currently only Vatanen

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

This piece suggests the Ducks are the best fit for Drouin: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-ducks-a-logical-fit-for-lightnings-drouin/

I guess I could see them trading Lindholm or Vatanen or Shea Theodore who scored his first NHL goal last night. Does TB need D-men? They have both Carle and Coburn so that suggests the answer is Yes!  Funny, I've owned all 4 of the players in bold at one point in my keeper league. Currently only Vatanen

Good D-men, as you know, are ALWAYS in demand...whether for now, or for down the road.

Right now, TB's top 3 are Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, and Jason Garrison.

After that, even for the 4th spot, you have Brayden Coburn, Andrej Sustr, Nikita Nesterov....and if we are forced to, Matt Carle (he has actually been a healthy scratch on a few occasions this season).

Hedman, Stralman and Garrison are solid, no doubt...but after that?

Coburn is on his last year of his contract. Unless he takes a pay cut, he is gone.

Andrej Sustr is young enough, is big enough...but doesn't always utilize his size, so the Bolts prefer him to either play a bottom pair role...or even move on from him if they can eventually.

Nesterov (and Koekkoek who is in the pipeline), project to be good D-men, but are far from fully NHL ready. Nikita Nesterov is only NOW being given heavier responsibilities...and that's because the Bolts are trying to push Mr. No Trade Matt Carle out the door!

Other D-men in the pipeline: Anthony DeAngelo, Dylan Blujis, Dominik Masin, and Daniel Walcott....all of which will still need time in the AHL or Jr's to round out their games.

So yea, I would say if the D-men coming back for Drouin were even close to NHL ready, the Lightning wouldn't turn their noses up at acquiring them.

On 1/15/2016 at 8:55 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Good D-men, as you know, are ALWAYS in demand...whether for now, or for down the road.

Right now, TB's top 3 are Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, and Jason Garrison.

After that, even for the 4th spot, you have Brayden Coburn, Andrej Sustr, Nikita Nesterov....and if we are forced to, Matt Carle (he has actually been a healthy scratch on a few occasions this season).

Hedman, Stralman and Garrison are solid, no doubt...but after that?

Coburn is on his last year of his contract. Unless he takes a pay cut, he is gone.

Andrej Sustr is young enough, is big enough...but doesn't always utilize his size, so the Bolts prefer him to either play a bottom pair role...or even move on from him if they can eventually.

Nesterov (and Koekkoek who is in the pipeline), project to be good D-men, but are far from fully NHL ready. Nikita Nesterov is only NOW being given heavier responsibilities...and that's because the Bolts are trying to push Mr. No Trade Matt Carle out the door!

Other D-men in the pipeline: Anthony DeAngelo, Dylan Blujis, Dominik Masin, and Daniel Walcott....all of which will still need time in the AHL or Jr's to round out their games.

So yea, I would say if the D-men coming back for Drouin were even close to NHL ready, the Lightning wouldn't turn their noses up at acquiring them.

More than good. DeAngelo is arguably your strongest Offensive Defenseman Prospect. A year or two away, but doing well in the AHL.

Archived