Welcome to the Flyers Jordan Weal

pilldoc

So who is this guy...here is a nice primer.....

http://rinkroyalty.com/2015/06/10/los-angeles-kings-prospects-jordan-weal-nhl-ready/

Jordan Weal of the Manchester Monarchs is making quite an impact this time of year.

The Los Angeles Kings AHL affiliate, Manchester Monarchs, are in the finals for the Calder Cup. They’re up 2-0 versus the Utica Comets with game 3 tonight. Jordan Weal is leading the way as the top scorer in the AHL playoffs (21 points).

But who is this kid?
Why haven’t we heard much about him until now?

Honestly, I’m not real sure because this kid has some raw talent and hockey IQ. Just take a look at how he made the game winning goal happen in game 1 of the Calder Cup finals.

Let’s learn a little bit more about this NHL prospect…

Weal is a Vancouver, B.C. native who was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the 3rd round in 2010. He’s made a significant impact at every level of hockey. in the WHL, with the Regina Pats, he was the 3rd leading scorer in 2009-2010 with 102 points and then the 4th leading scorer in 2010-2011 with 116 points.

In his 2nd pro season with the Monarchs in 2013-2014, he led the team (5th in the league) in scoring with 70 points and an impressive +28.  He, clearly, has a knack for the net.

Well, what are scouts and coaching staff saying about him?

The obvious answer is that he’s an offensive threat. His point totals show that without a doubt. He’s also extremely competitive, a hard working two-way player who will put up lots of minutes in all scenarios. And he’s got some great hands and speed. He’s been compared to Nathan Gerbe and Stephen Gionta or a faster version of Michael Cammalleri.

What’s the hang up?

In short – his size. Weal is listed at 5’10” but I think that’s a bit generous based on seeing him on ice. I’d put him closer to 5’9”. The question has been, “Can he get in the corners and battle it out night in, night out? Or will his size hold him back?” I think not. This playoff season has shown that. He’s unafraid to take a hit to make a play and gets into board battles without hesitation. And with where the NHL is headed – faster, more scoring & raw skill, less brute aggression, more obstruction calls – Weal is a threat to be prepared for. His size will play to his advantage.

Just look at the how well smaller players like Tyler Johnson of the Lightning and Johnny Gaudreau of the Calgary Flames played this season. I think we’re going to see more guys of their stature at the top of the scoring chart in future years.

Is Jordan Weal NHL ready?  Absolutely. Hope to see him in a Kings uniform this coming season.

5-9 center. Hhhhmmm honestly i don't even care...as long as two contracts are gone he is more than likely a throw in...like Alt was in a trade, whom like Alt will never see the light of day in the NHL.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd have been happy having to throw in Schenn just to get rid of Vinnie. Getting a 3rd is a bonus. Getting Weal as well is freakin awesome. Looks like a legit good prospect.

Dare I say Hexy worked his magic again!  .... GM of the Year here he comes!

From Hockey's Future ....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jordan_weal/

Long-term, his success to this point suggests he can be a Stephen Gionta, Nathan Gerbe-type forward at the NHL level. His scoring ability and two-way game will likely also command big contract offers from clubs in Europe if he is not re-signed by Los Angeles following the season.

Weal is an undersized but tenacious right-handed shooting center. He is hard on the forecheck and creates turnovers in the offensive zone. A consistent scorer both at the junior level and in the AHL, he competes in all three zones. His size is a concern as he could be overmatched against the bigger, faster defenders and opposing forwards in the NHL. Weal's productivity and combativeness suggest he can contribute given the opportunity.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jordan-weal-is-the-real-deal/

Future Projection

In 2014-15, his third full season in the AHL, Weal was once again nearly a point per game player, scoring 20 goals and 69 points in 73 games. Jordan was so successful in fact, that he was named to the AHL all-star game for the first time in his career.

In terms of Weal’s future potential, the only possible limiting factor is Jordan’s size. At 5 foot 10, 171 pounds, Weal is an undersized centerman who could have difficulties in the NHL, especially in the big, bad Western Conference.

Potentially matching up against the likes of Joe Thornton or Ryan Getzlaf in the future, there is the possibility that Weal could be easily dominated on the ice physically. However, what makes Weal unique is his ability to combine speed, agility and skill on a consistent basis. No matter where he has played, Jordan has been an elite offensive performer.

Based on the Kings’ current depth chart, Weal could fit in on the teams third line, serving as a future offensive upgrade to current centerman Trevor Lewis. If not, Weal’s presence on the wing would bring a boost of energy and offense to an annually strong Los Angeles Kings team.

Regardless of where he plays, it is only a matter of time before Weal is given an opportunity at the NHL level, whether it be with the Kings or another NHL team. As at the end of the day, Weal’s consistent ability to be an effective player will earn him the opportunity to achieve his childhood dream of playing in the National Hockey League.

If Hakstol gives Weal a chance, he could really shine. He's got speed in spades, plays well defensively and forechecks like a demon. He's also a gritty little guy for being a smaller player and could really thrive on the wing. I'm liking this trade more and more. Hextall also has some inside knowledge on Weal, having been part of the Kings organization at the time Weal was drafted, so you can bet he'll find a way to get him into the lineup for more than 8 minutes a night. I get that the Flyers are a litlte smaller now, but I love it. Guys with speed, character and heart are being brought in. That's how you build a club. And now that Hextall is getting the cap issues under control, hopefully Snider doesn't do something stupid like ordering him to go after Stamkos when he becomes a free agent. The Flyers already have two guys making over $8 million a year. Let someone else ruin their cap space.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Dare I say Hexy worked his magic again!  .... GM of the Year here he comes!

Hextall will be getting his own magic show on the Vegas strip this Summer. :biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Hextall will be getting his own magic show on the Vegas strip this Summer. :biggrin:

Yeah he will star with Penn and Teller after fooling those two on how he pulled off this trade!

I don't think anybody really thinks Weal is 5'10" but it doesn't matter. He's in the Brendan Gallagher mould (not sure is he is as much of a pest). Hexy obviously knows him, drafted him, and has watched his development in the AHL. I think he fully expects Weal to become a top-9 Flyer. He does have the profile of a 'tweener for sure, but his work ethic sets him apart from many 'tweeners, I'd say.  That and being defensively responsible, which will allow him to perhaps start on the 4th line with some PK duty (he is a center and seems ok on draws).

I hope he will be inserted into the lineup soon and have someone like RJ fetch popcorn. Weal may provide some popline and skill...and hunger is always welcome.

I imagine he will get some time to learn the system 1st.

Archived