Johansen traded to the Preds for Jones

yave1964

A one for one trade last night sent Ryanth?id=OIP.Mc5d442aaff8c56828aa9d7987e9b5 Johansen even up to Nashville for Seth Jones. Ooof.

My first thought is wow, Fonzy simply ran the best player on the team out, yes Johansen has a bit of a history of being a pouty baby and all the rest but the sucker can play. Now the best center in team history is gone, for a potential number one blueliner in Jones. Jones is buried behind Weber and Josi and even Ellis in Nashville, in Columbus he will get the chance to be the number one.

th?id=OIP.Mf5fb8d73552c1639bb62d1a6789f0 The Jackets do have a ton of top tier forwards in the system and the defense is average at best so in some ways this does make sense but I personally think that Torts ran out the teams best player who at 23 has a world of hockey left in him. If this does not work he wont last beyond the end of the season.

For Nashville, they finally have the number one center they have always been searching for. "We got the number one center we have been needing for the past eighteen years." quipped GM Poille. IMHO it makes them one of the teams to beat in all of hockey with Johansen setting up Forsberg and allowing Ribiero to slot into his more natural number two role and Fisher back into his perfect complimentary role.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

A one for one trade last night sent Ryanth?id=OIP.Mc5d442aaff8c56828aa9d7987e9b5 Johansen even up to Nashville for Seth Jones. Ooof.

My first thought is wow, Fonzy simply ran the best player on the team out, yes Johansen has a bit of a history of being a pouty baby and all the rest but the sucker can play. Now the best center in team history is gone, for a potential number one blueliner in Jones. Jones is buried behind Weber and Josi and even Ellis in Nashville, in Columbus he will get the chance to be the number one.

th?id=OIP.Mf5fb8d73552c1639bb62d1a6789f0 The Jackets do have a ton of top tier forwards in the system and the defense is average at best so in some ways this does make sense but I personally think that Torts ran out the teams best player who at 23 has a world of hockey left in him. If this does not work he wont last beyond the end of the season.

For Nashville, they finally have the number one center they have always been searching for. "We got the number one center we have been needing for the past eighteen years." quipped GM Poille. IMHO it makes them one of the teams to beat in all of hockey with Johansen setting up Forsberg and allowing Ribiero to slot into his more natural number two role and Fisher back into his perfect complimentary role.

Is this in fact a better situation for Jones or the one situation in the NHL that could be even worse for him?  Probabaly brought up too soon, stuck on the depth chart and now goes to a team where he will be #1, with all of the expectations.  And oh yeah, playing for Torts.  Could be an interesting transition.

When RyJo was first benched some guy went off how Torts would run him out of town and I laughed it off. Not laughing now. Just had to ship off our best player because Torts litetally destroyed any confidence he had playing in CBus. 

We gave up a 2nd just to have him come F up this organization... 

Needed a defensemen but I HATE this trade 

-It was just days ago that I was being chided around here for suggesting that Jones was available.   ;)
-Great deal for David Poile.
-The Jackets take on all of the risk here, and from that standpoint I wouldn't be happy if I were a fan. It all hinges on Jones developing into a top pairing defenseman. He could do that, but it's not exactly etched in stone, and he won't get the deep cover he had in Nashville, playing behind Weber/Josi. I like the player tremendously (he's already a good defenseman even if he doesn't develop further), but not the risk from the Columbus side of things.
-This probably gives some weight to the Nuge for Jones deal that TSN was talking about last week. Still glad that ChiaPete didn't do it, since that would have left a crater of a hole at centre, with their top two pivots being 18 and 20 years old, respectively.

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-It was just days ago that I was being chided around here for suggesting that Jones was available.   ;)
-Great deal for David Poile.
-The Jackets take on all of the risk here, and from that standpoint I wouldn't be happy if I were a fan. It all hinges on Jones developing into a top pairing defenseman. He could do that, but it's not exactly etched in stone, and he won't get the deep cover he had in Nashville, playing behind Weber/Josi. I like the player tremendously (he's already a good defenseman even if he doesn't develop further), but not the risk from the Columbus side of things.
-This probably gives some weight to the Nuge for Jones deal that TSN was talking about last week. Still glad that ChiaPete didn't do it, since that would have left a crater of a hole at centre, with their top two pivots being 18 and 20 years old, respectively.

Yeah him developing under Torts HAHA! Is that an oxymoron!!!????:hyper:

But seriously i didn't realize Jones was already in his last year of his entry level contract.

4 hours ago, terp said:

Is this in fact a better situation for Jones or the one situation in the NHL that could be even worse for him?  Probabaly brought up too soon, stuck on the depth chart and now goes to a team where he will be #1, with all of the expectations.  And oh yeah, playing for Torts.  Could be an interesting transition.

Unfortunately Jones had no say in it, but he got screwed. His is only 21 and he has put up some good numbers for being in the League for a couple years. Then you put Torts in the equation. This either can be great or turn into a tailspin for Jones. Johansen is going into a great situation. The Preds are already a contender and now he is surrounded by guys that can give him the puck. Preds PP can be very dangerous now.

3 hours ago, Yotes Jackets said:

When RyJo was first benched some guy went off how Torts would run him out of town and I laughed it off. Not laughing now. Just had to ship off our best player because Torts litetally destroyed any confidence he had playing in CBus. 

We gave up a 2nd just to have him come F up this organization... 

Needed a defensemen but I HATE this trade 

I think he potentially can F up Jones now too. Unfortunate for Jones. He is developing into a great player.

Too early to tell, but honestly, this could turn out to be a win-win for both teams.

Johanson, despite all his talents, simply was a guy who didn't bring it every night. Some coaches work around that and the player eventually becomes better (maybe), but others, like Torts, simply don't have the patience for guys who aren't bringing it every night...no matter how good they are.

He has a history of disdain for players like that, Columbus ownership knew this going in when they hired him (at least, they should have), and so, irreconcilable differences between a guy like Johanson and Tortorella is not even remotely surprising.

Now.....the Jackets do need to get to work on finding their new 1C. No question about that. But they did well in acquiring a young defenseman in Seth Jones who has the upside to be a 1 or 2D very soon in this league.

Given the fact that the Blue Jackets are likely not going to be contenders this year, it leaves things open for them to experiment with how Seth Jones will fit in with their team, giving him many more minutes of playtime in the process, and looking to see who they have that can replace Johanson as the team's top center....something that obviously, will take more than just a season or two to accomplish.

As for Nashville, I've always said, even before this trade, they are a nicely rounded team....acquiring Johanson makes them that much better. The only thing that could derail the Preds as far as what they got for Jones, would be if Johanson starts pulling the 'occassional night off' crap in Smashville.  You can bet that will NOT go over well guys like Paul Gaustad and Shea Weber on the team.

The Preds, like their rivals Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues, are built to win NOW, and as long as he puts in the effort on a nightly basis, acquiring Johanson helps them in that regard.

On 2016-01-07 at 8:13 AM, flyercanuck said:

Probably a good trade for both teams.

I'm surprised Nashville didn't trade Jones sooner...they need forwards. Columbus needed D, but they just opened a crater at centre.

Foligno can play C. Jenner is doing well, as is Wennberg. Dubinski is good. I don't think they opened a crater. Pothole maybe, but Johansen was being played on the 3rd line anyways.

They also have some talented Wingers in Hartnell, Atkinson, Saad.

I'd say they  potentially filled a need since I am not sold on Jones yet being more than a top 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2016 at 4:26 AM, yave1964 said:

My first thought is wow

Johansen: ‘I wish I was still a Blue Jacket’

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/25/johansen-i-wish-i-was-still-a-blue-jacket/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

“I wish I was still a Blue Jacket. Let me make sure I’m wording this the right way. (pauses)

“I wish we didn’t start the season 0-8. I wish we were in the playoffs. I wish we had a great year. I wish we were all still together. But that’s professional sports. It happens, and when a team struggles there are trades. Maybe I felt like it wouldn’t be me that’s going (to get traded), but it was.

“I loved more than anything else in the world being a Blue Jacket.”

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

Archived