When do you start to sell?

Hatrik98

I know its not even the All-Star break yet but the current position of the Jets in the Wild Wet Conference and there inconsistent play has me worrying about when do they start thinking about selling? What do they do with Buf and Ladd? If they don't anticipate signing both to big deals, shouldn't they start to shop to get something from one of them or both before they lose out to UFA? Also with Scheifele, Lowry, Hutch and Trouba (RFA's), they are going to need some big pockets.

12 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

I know its not even the All-Star break yet but the current position of the Jets in the Wild Wet Conference and there inconsistent play has me worrying about when do they start thinking about selling? What do they do with Buf and Ladd? If they don't anticipate signing both to big deals, shouldn't they start to shop to get something from one of them or both before they lose out to UFA? Also with Scheifele, Lowry, Hutch and Trouba (RFA's), they are going to need some big pockets.

I have to assume Chevy is working the phones. I trust him not to let either of these guys get to FA and lose them for nothing. I think he probably would just as soon trade Ladd at this point. For one thing, the WPG fans seem to overwhelmingly wish him gone. I think the problem is that Chevy is  not getting want he wants for Ladd (which is what? a top prospect and a high pick, plus?). He might have to settle for less if he does it now. Or, he can wait until the trade deadline when his value improves. 

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm hoping that Ladd would be the keeper and Buff will be the casualty. I am not keen on Buffs Jekyl and Hyde play. He has been taking too many dumb penalties in key situations. I'm not sure how much they can get for him but get something while there is some stock left.

2 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'm hoping that Ladd would be the keeper and Buff will be the casualty. I am not keen on Buffs Jekyl and Hyde play. He has been taking too many dumb penalties in key situations. I'm not sure how much they can get for him but get something while there is some stock left.

It may work out the way you want since I think Buff's value exceeds Ladd's by a fair margin. From that perspective, the right hockey move is probably to keep your unpopular Captain and trade your (most?) popular player for max value (Buff's value? A top prospect, a 1st, another player or prospect, another pick?)

• 10 months later...

Perhaps the question is, not when do you sell but WHO do you sell?

Do you think that a few pieces are all that are missing, if so you don't trade guys like buff or Wheeler who are aging, if you are ready to blow it up and go with kids only then you move both because Wheeler and Buff have enormous value.

Personally I like the team, the foursome of Buff, Myers, Enstrom and Trouba are more than adequate on the back end with a need of two P/K shut down guys thrown in the mix is certainly not bad. The forwards are young skilled and hungry and Little will be back in a couple of weeks. The West is still wide open, if you want to sell then fine, but I think it is wayyyyyy too early to even consider it. Trouba and Little will inject some additional skill to an already skilled club.

I say hold, wait, see how it goes. Too early.

Archived