Should Flyers Pursue Drouin?

OccamsRazor

@radoran

So would you do a Drouin for Brayden straight up? Is that enough, fair for both sides...i think so maybe riskier on the Flyer's side because at least Brayden is proven more has scored 20 goals in the NHL. Just brain storming knowing the Flyers need a LW. I also wonder if Drouin would be in Hak's dog house quick?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't generally like entitled little sh*ts that haven't actually accomplished much in the league making demands, but I do like his $894K salary next season and then pending RFA status.

That said, I'm not sure Tampa does that move unless it is sweetened up. They have no *need* to move him - he's under contract through *next* season and they retain his rights.

I'm betting Yzerman will play more than a little bit of hardball.

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't generally like entitled little sh*ts that haven't actually accomplished much in the league making demands

Me either just thinking of a way they could get a LW with some possible upside.

Yes Yzerman doesn't have to move him and also why i wasn't going to offer a lot because no need to break the bank on an unproven seems to be self entitled kid, whom i think could possibly find his way to Hak's dog house quick with his issues with his 200 foot game. Kid could be more headache than he is worth.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

@radoran

So would you do a Drouin for Brayden straight up? Is that enough, fair for both sides...i think so maybe riskier on the Flyer's side because at least Brayden is proven more has scored 20 goals in the NHL. Just brain storming knowing the Flyers need a LW. I also wonder if Drouin would be in Hak's dog house quick?

i think if he adds morin and schenn, i think that would do it. hextall is going to have to move another dmen and morin wasnt hextall's pick, so i think he could be dealt. im just getting that feeling drouin is going to be our first line lw and hextall has dealt with tampa before, i wouldnt be surprised if he does it again.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@radoran

Yeah, I think most GMs would do that trade. However, I think getting Drouin would require more than just Schenn, and I'm not sure I'd want the potential baggage for more than just Schenn.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I think getting Drouin would require more than just Schenn

I'm not so sure. Drouin may have been drafted 3rd overall, but that and $8 will get you some kind fancy coffee at Starbucks. He's ultimately unproven at the NHL level (or the AHL for that matter) and appears to be a spoiled suck who cannot find his way with Steve Yzerman, the classiest of class acts. That's worth a mid 1st round pick at best in my books.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, I think most GMs would do that trade. However, I think getting Drouin would require more than just Schenn, and I'm not sure I'd want the potential baggage for more than just Schenn.

I'd toss in a 2nd with Schenn

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I think getting Drouin would require more than just Schenn

But why? What has Drouin (3rd overall) accomplished? He has played a whooping 89 games and has 40 points? 6 playoff games zero points and -6!

Brayden was a 5th overall.

I just don't know what makes him so important/valuable.

I don't know. With Drouin's apparent attitude problem, it feels like a lateral move to me to swap him and Schenn. I'm definitely not adding anything else to the package for a lateral move, and I'd almost rather keep Schenn. Add to that Drouin is yet another smallish (5'11) forward.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not so sure. Drouin may have been drafted 3rd overall, but that and $8 will get you some kind fancy coffee at Starbucks. He's ultimately unproven at the NHL level (or the AHL for that matter) and appears to be a spoiled suck who cannot find his way with Steve Yzerman, the classiest of class acts. That's worth a mid 1st round pick at best in my books.

Stevie holds all the cards. He's going to sit on Drouin until someone matches his price. My guess is that price will require a top 6 forward and a (probably 1st round) pick. To ditch the pick, we'd have to give up one of our prospect dmen, and that would be too steep for me.

For all his faults in the NHL, he was phenomenal in juniors, and he's only 20. He was taken 3rd for a very good reason.

Whether that pedigree is worth the potential baggage of getting a spoiled brat is another question. Of course, we don't truly know what the hang up is between Drouin and Cooper. My guess is that's exactly where the issue is, not so much between Drouin and Stevie.

@elmatus

Yeah I agree Stevie Y holds the cards and will try to get a player and a pick for Drouin. I'm just not convinced he will get it. In which case young Jonathan can enjoy his time in Syracuse, which I imagine is beautiful this time of year.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But why? What has Drouin (3rd overall) accomplished? He has played a whooping 89 games and has 40 points? 6 playoff games zero points and -6!

Same reason why people think Tavares is better than Giroux: draft position 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@radoran

How about Drouin for Weal and a 3rd rounder, straight-up? ;)

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's the same thing that makes people call 17 year-olds can't miss future stars.   The kid lit it up against junior competition,  and just like some felt he would definitely do the same against NHL players,  many will still feel it's just a matter of time and adjustment.  And it might be. 

Drouin scored more in junior than Schenn did, and is only a season and a half from that.  Schenn has failed to live up to expectations for five years now.  Drouin is definitely going to be seen as worth more than Schenn, if only because his blue chip status is only just starting to tarnish.  Schenn's had been gone for a while. 

2 minutes ago, aziz said:

Drouin scored more in junior than Schenn did

Yeah but he played with MacKinnon (#1 overall and scored 63 points his 1st year in the NHL) too i don't remember Brayden playing with anyone of that caliber. 

I'd pass on Drouin. He's likely going to cost a top 6 forward and a 1st or 2nd round pick or blue chip prospect.  The Flyers have a number of holes they need to fill among the forward lines and IMO they need to focus on trades where they are acquiring prospects and picks not giving them away.  

24 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I'd pass on Drouin. He's likely going to cost a top 6 forward and a 1st or 2nd round pick or blue chip prospect.  The Flyers have a number of holes they need to fill among the forward lines and IMO they need to focus on trades where they are acquiring prospects and picks not giving them away.  

No way talk about over pay......

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

No way talk about over pay......

Look I know Drouin hasn't panned out for TB and hasn't lived up to his 3rd overall hype but he is still very young, has a very friendly cap hit, and is a RFA after next season.  Yzerman holds all the cards here and can demand a lot more than just Brayden Schenn.  

4 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Yzerman holds all the cards here and can demand a lot more than just Brayden Schenn.  

I don't think so. Like was mentioned the other day Kyle Turris was a #3 overall too and he was traded for a 2nd round pick and David Rundblad. 

So realistically you can ask for whatever you want.........but what you get well that is a whole different story.

The Flyers should pursue a deal with Drouin. We hear about his "bad" attitude, yet not a single player in Tampa Bay has said anything bad about Drouin at all. If anything, the trade request caught them by surprise because they thought he liked being in Tampa Bay. Drouin's teammates have also said he's an extremely hard worker and that he tries to absorb everything the coaching staff are teaching him. Doesn't sound like a bad attitude to me.

As for his 'defensive' issues, once again, if you're a forward that's been drafted 3rd overall, you aren't being drafted for your defensive prowess. You're being drafted because you've got a wicked offensive skillset. If the Lightning were so concerned about Drouin's defense, they would have left him in the AHL to work on his defense. Obviously they say that he was better defensively than what they thought he was. I'll quote Scotty Bowman about defense - Defense can always be taught, but you cannot teach offense. Either a player is good offensively or they aren't. Drouin could be a great offensive player, but when your coach is giving you table scraps for ice time, it's hard to get into any sort of rhythm. 

I will say this - the cost for Drouin will be high and rightly so. I think what we're seeing in Tampa Bay is simply a player that doesn't fit the coach's system. As for Drouin not fitting into the Hakstol's system, I beg to differ. I think Drouin would thrive here playing on a line with Giroux and Simmonds or Couturier and Voracek. However, I wouldn't want to part with someone like Morin if that's the asking price for Drouin. Morin's game is starting to come together in the AHL and I'd really hate to see the Flyers give up on a 6'7, 220 pound mobile defender with a mean streak a mile wide. I mentioned in another post I'd certainly have no problems giving up Sanheim to get him as Gostisbehere and Provorov play a similar game to Sanheim. 

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The Flyers should pursue a deal with Drouin. We hear about his "bad" attitude, yet not a single player in Tampa Bay has said anything bad about Drouin at all. If anything, the trade request caught them by surprise because they thought he liked being in Tampa Bay. Drouin's teammates have also said he's an extremely hard worker and that he tries to absorb everything the coaching staff are teaching him. Doesn't sound like a bad attitude to me.

As for his 'defensive' issues, once again, if you're a forward that's been drafted 3rd overall, you aren't being drafted for your defensive prowess. You're being drafted because you've got a wicked offensive skillset. If the Lightning were so concerned about Drouin's defense, they would have left him in the AHL to work on his defense. Obviously they say that he was better defensively than what they thought he was. I'll quote Scotty Bowman about defense - Defense can always be taught, but you cannot teach offense. Either a player is good offensively or they aren't. Drouin could be a great offensive player, but when your coach is giving you table scraps for ice time, it's hard to get into any sort of rhythm. 

I will say this - the cost for Drouin will be high and rightly so. I think what we're seeing in Tampa Bay is simply a player that doesn't fit the coach's system. As for Drouin not fitting into the Hakstol's system, I beg to differ. I think Drouin would thrive here playing on a line with Giroux and Simmonds or Couturier and Voracek. However, I wouldn't want to part with someone like Morin if that's the asking price for Drouin. Morin's game is starting to come together in the AHL and I'd really hate to see the Flyers give up on a 6'7, 220 pound mobile defender with a mean streak a mile wide. I mentioned in another post I'd certainly have no problems giving up Sanheim to get him as Gostisbehere and Provorov play a similar game to Sanheim. 

With all due respect -- No way in hell am I giving up Sanheim for Drouin - complete deal breaker.  I watch Morin frequently in the AHL and I have to say I really dont see a "mean streak a mile wide."  Most people are expecting a Pronger-like mean streak and that is simply not the case.  He is a tough kid but he is not all that mean to play against other than size.  He is a decent skater for a big man but I really dont see Morin becoming anything more than a 2nd pairing guy - which is fine btw.  Sanheim has legit potential to be a 1/2 defenseman in the NHL....

8 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't generally like entitled little sh*ts that haven't actually accomplished much in the league making demands, but I do like his $894K salary next season and then pending RFA status.

That said, I'm not sure Tampa does that move unless it is sweetened up. They have no *need* to move him - he's under contract through *next* season and they retain his rights.

I'm betting Yzerman will play more than a little bit of hardball.

Does anyone know what the problem is with him there?  

You'd think if it's cooper that making the finals would shut a lot of people up. 

Archived