Game #40 - Islanders at Flyers - Jan 9 2016 - 1:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-1916-vs-NYI/45/73868

Flyers, 17-15-7

Islanders, 22-14-5

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.20 (T-28th), Islanders 2.71 (10th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.69 (T-19th), Islanders 2.46 (11th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 54/60, Islanders 73/69
Power play efficiency: Flyers 16.5% (T-27th), Islanders 18.3% (20th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.2% (25th), Islanders 85.8% (2nd)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.2 (12th), Islanders 29.9 (14th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.4 (29th), Islanders 30.6 (21st)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.5% (21st), Islanders 50.0% (15th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning - 82 Evgeny Medvedev

35 Steve Mason / 30 Michal Neuvirth 

Scratches: Shayne Gostisbehere (knee), Jordan Weal (healthy, could make Flyers debut).

Islanders

27 Anders Lee - 91 John Tavares - 12 Josh Bailey
29 Brock Nelson - 51 Frans Nielsen - 21 Kyle Okposo
86 Nikolay Kulemin - 84 Mikhail Grabovski - 18 Ryan Strome
17 Matt Martin - 53 Casey Cizikas - 15 Cal Clutterbuck

2 Nick Leddy - 3 Travis Hamonic
14 Thomas Hickey - 28 Marek Zidlicky
44 Calvin de Haan - 50 Adam Pelech

41 Jaroslav Halak / 1 Thomas Greiss

Scratches: Scott Mayfield (healthy, recalled Friday), Steve Bernier (healthy), Brian Strait (healthy), Johnny Boychuck (IR, upper body), Eric Boulton (IR, undislosed), Jean-Francois Berube (IR, lower body).

35 minutes ago, peter puck said:

It would be nice for the Flyers to just win this one without having their goalie have to steal it.

Well i don't recall Mason stealing one all year so it would be nice if the #1 could do that. It's what great goaltenders do.

Couturier with an assist on the Raffl goal. Dude has been blistering hot the past 10 games. He seems to have found his offensive game and has really stepped up with Giroux seemingly firing blanks all of a sudden. Where's all the people complaining now about Coots being the second line center?

14 is a playmaker, and has seemed to magically become skilled once he had some linemates with some hands.   

He and 10 had nice chemistry last year at the end of the year, makes me wonder why it took so long to try them together again, i think the third player with those two could be anyone and they'd be effective. 

I think Raffl is finally slotting in at the right spot in the lineup, i would love for him to be on the third line but we don't have that much forward talent yet. 

Really a lot to like in this win, the Islanders were down a couple of players and our guys ****ed them up, that's a habit of good teams... i wonder if this group is getting there ?

Couturier is on a wicked pace lately - today makes 12pts in the last 11 games IIRC. Aside from the points his attitude with the puck is so much more confident.

Of course the Isles were w/out Harmonic and Boychuk and it showed. It's great to see Mason get a SO but it wasn't one of his toughest games. Beyond missing 2 top players the Isles looked totally lifeless today. This had to be one of their worst games all year. They looked like how the Flyers used to look for afternoon games (against every team but the Pens) ...multiple turnovers, undisciplined stick penalties, losing the foot races etc.

Nice to see Gudas get one - Read too (can't remember the last time he scored a goal) - and Raffl gets honorable mention, not just for the goal but for "clicking" with his line mates so well. Also Manning, a guy who's regularly beaten up around here, looked outstanding today, his best game all year.

10 minutes ago, vonginous said:

My favorite part of the game was the NY announcer saying "goo-dash" every time number 3 touched the puck. Where the hell does the sh come from. 

If Gudas is from a slovackian country the "as" is pronounced as "sh".  I had several professors who requested we pronounce their name similarly...so my guess is the Isle announcer has similar knowledge.

5 hours ago, peter puck said:

It would be nice for the Flyers to just win this one without having their goalie have to steal it.

Actually, it looks like we got the best of both worlds this afternoon!

Yeah I know the Isles are down a couple of horses and looked pretty flat, but a very nice effort today to put a bitchslap on 'em

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If Gudas is from a slovackian country the "as" is pronounced as "sh".  I had several professors who requested we pronounce their name similarly...so my guess is the Isle announcer has similar knowledge.

Is it annoying when your dad goes into a Mexican restaurant and pronounces his order in the Spanish dialect?  Or when certain italian American cooks/chefs that are not Italian pronounce it mozzarel instead of mozzarella?  My point is, its annoying. 

Matt Read did not have a single, 3-point game last season. Has 3 points today

See what happens when you bench people and hold them accountable (Chip Kelly, Berube) it may force them to think about things...it's worth a try...

...who knows Coburn might still be a Flyer had Berube held him accountable and benched him last year during his horrible stretch last year we'll never know he would only bench the Schenn brothers...

...but the Flyers also wouldn't have Provorov and Konecny either so it worked out for the best...

@vonginous

it depends, does my dad speak spanish...if he does then what's the problem with calling the dish by it's name ? i think it's a sign of respect for the culture. 

If he doesn't ...and sounds like cheech marin yes that's annoying.

I don't see a problem with pronouncing the man's name correctly.  hope it didn't take away your enjoyment of the flyers performance too much.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@vonginous

it depends, does my dad speak spanish...if he does then what's the problem with calling the dish by it's name ? i think it's a sign of respect for the culture. 

If he doesn't ...and sounds like cheech marin yes that's annoying.

I don't see a problem with pronouncing the man's name correctly.  hope it didn't take away your enjoyment of the flyers performance too much.

In this situation he does not speak Spanish. 

And it did not take away from the game. They looked "fast" out there today. Don't know if they were fast or the islanders were just really slow. Either way, great 60 minutes and good to see them come out the gates on fire. Haven't seen that for a while.

Very little to complain about in this game.  From start to finish they were skating hard and really gave a quality effort for the full 60 minutes.  The top line may not have scored any goals, but they set the tone with their very first shift by putting all of that pressure on, generating quality chances, and getting the Islanders on their heels immediately.  The top line is not always going to score goals, which is why secondary scoring is so important.  I was actually happy to see the goals coming from so many different places.  And I don't give the Islanders a free pass because they have some keys players out with injury.  The Flyers best young player was out with injury and it showed with their lack of a powerplay goal today.  Injuries are a part of the game and all teams have stretches without top players.  

Overall, a character win and one that I hope exemplifies the effort and attitude that Hakstol has instilled in them.   

Archived