Expansion or Relocation

Canuck47

The NHL has no team between Vancouver, British Columbia, and San Jose, California. That needs to change. Portland, Oregon has an arena ready and waiting. We have a potential owner in Paul Allen. This would also create a rivalry with San Jose and/or Vancouver.

Welcome!

I completely agree.  Adding both Vegas to the Central division an a team from either Portland or Seatle balances out the league.   

With a weak Canadian dollar - expansion to Quebec may not be the best choice.

I sort of think the opposite. Quebec City deserves it because they'll renew a rivalry and give Canada a new team. Las Vegas isn't a good choice. LV will probably relocate soon after the excitement about the team dies down. Portland has an arena ready, Paul Allen as potential owner, and one of the best crowds in junior hockey.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, Canuck47 said:

The NHL has no team between Vancouver, British Columbia, and San Jose, California. That needs to change. Portland, Oregon has an arena ready and waiting. We have a potential owner in Paul Allen. This would also create a rivalry with San Jose and/or Vancouver.

All they needed to do was get a proposal to the league and be willing to pony up the $500M expansion fee.

Neither of those things happened.

Only Vegas and Quebec came in with bids.

I believe the NHL will target #14 media market Seattle before #23 Portland. But Seattle would need to build an arena (which has been tied up a bit).

In terms of relocation, there were rumblings about Florida to help balance out the divisions.

Archived