Official Trade Deadline Thread (Februrary 29th): Gonna be a tough trade deadline

As of this morning the Carolina Hurricanes are tied for the final playoff spot with the Devils th?id=OIP.M323180960014fdde04c7e1ad7f1e4and Bruins.

In fact the gap between 13th place (the Flyers) and 6th place (Montreal) is a razor thin 4 points. And the next couple of teams, Detroit, the Rangers and Isles are within striking distance.

In the East the only teams legitimately out of it are the Jackets, Sabres and Leafs.

In the West it is even more convoluted, believe it or not .all 14 teams (including the Oilers who are waiting on McDavid to come back and hanging close). It is really going to be a sellers market.

th?id=HQ.78666080471&w=174&h=100&c=7&rs=That is why I am highly critical of the Jackets Dealing Ryan Johanssen to the Predators for Sean Jones when they did, I really feel the longer they held onto him the higher his value would have been, instead of a bidding war I really feel they received 80 cents on the dollar by pulling the trigger too early.

Teams like New Jersey with Stempniak and the Hurricanes with a Staal or two are in the market might command a fair price, same with Winnipeg and Big Buff (among others)or even Colorado and players such as Iginla and Soderberg.

Some of these teams will fall out of the race in the next month but most will be in the same boat. I think trades will be more player for player type, two teams with needs in areas helping each other out.

Teams like Buffalo and Toronto should take a wait it out approach, unlike Columbus who prematurely transacted.

Edited by pilldoc

I actually think Johansen for Jones is a pretty fair trade. I think Nashville wins out, but not because of the players. They have a deep d-core and simply didn't need Jones. They did need a top line center though, and now they have one.

That said, Jones will be a top dman in this league. In fact, his move from the d-rich Preds to the complete opposite in Columbus could very easily accelerate his development. He'll be getting big minutes there and will be counted on for PPs and pretty much everything else. Modern teams build from the back end up. In this regard, Jones is a fantastic piece of the puzzle to have.

The challenge for Columbus now will simply be a lack of top forwards. To be fair though, they were already missing that anyway.

I'm not sure how they could have gotten more at the deadline. Jones is a pretty great return.

Edited by elmatus

@yave1964

Probably more minor transactions taking place.

Some teams have already pulled triggers on a few noteworthy trades. Unless the likes of a Stamkos (sign n trade) or Drouin from Tampa Bay, or some deal that may move a big name out of Vancouver for instance take place, there probably won't be much hoopla surrounding this trade deadline.

Parity is greater than it has ever been, teams can make runs now, and outside of maybe a team like the Capitals, there really doesn't seem to be any one dominant team in the standings.

Thing is, even if some minor stuff went on, THOSE could be the deals that can make or break a team's playoff run. You know, those little known or underrated names that come up huge during a playoff push or during a playoff series.

• Like 1

RNH + a Dman from Edmonton for Hamonic + Nielsen from the Isles?

I'd like to see the Sharks try to acquire another Right handed middle-bottom pair Dman. We have an overflow of forwards.

Since getting Couture back from injury, I like what I am seeing from the Sharks.

• 2 weeks later...

@yave1964

Hope you don't mind I edited your initial title and pinned the topic.  I was just thinking about the trade deadline and was going to start a thread myself when I saw your topic.

All general trade talk (speculation) should go here unless an official trade occurs.

Listed below are who the The Hockey Writers deems to be the top 25 players who "might" be traded before the deadline.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-trade-deadline-top-available-players/

Edited by pilldoc

and ..... before anyone asks who has a NMC/NTC....The Hockey Writers has that covered also. (I pray that their info is correct)

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-trade-deadline-no-movement-no-trade/

Team No-Trade Clause No-Movement Clause
anaheim ducks Kevin Bieksa
Andrew Cogliano
(limited)
Ryan Kesler
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
arizona coyotes Nicklas Grossman (limited)
Martin Hanzal (limited)
Shane Doan
Martin Erat
Zbynek Michalek
(8 teams he will not accept trade to)
Chris Pronger
Mike Smith
boston bruins Matt Beleskey
Loui Eriksson
(15 teams he will not accept trade to)
Chris Kelly (8-team trade list)
Brad Marchand (limited)
Dennis Seidenberg
Patrice Bergeron
Zdeno Chara
David Krejci
Tuukka Rask
buffalo sabres Josh Gorges (15 teams he will not accept trade to)
David Legwand (limited)
Matt Moulson (limited)
Zach Bogosian
Brian Gionta
Ryan O’Reilly
calgary flames Michael Frolik (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
Mason Raymond (limited)
Matt Stajan (limited)
Dennis Wideman
carolina hurricanes Ron Hainsey (limited)
John-Michael Liles (limited)
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Cam Ward

James Wisniewski (10 teams he will not accept a trade to)
chicago blackhawks Bryan Bickell (limited)
Rob Scuderi (limited)
Brent Seabrook (limited)
Corey Crawford
Niklas Hjalmarsson
(limited)
Patrick Kane
Duncan Keith
Jonathan Toews
colorado avalanche Gabriel Landeskog (limited)
Carl Soderberg
Brad Stuart (7-team trade list)
Alex Tanguay (limited)
Francois Beauchemin
Jarome Iginla
Erik Johnson
columbus blue jackets Rene Bourque (limited)
David Clarkson (limited)
Sergei Bobrovsky
Brandon Dubinsky
(limited)
Nick Foglino
Scott Hartnell
Fedor Tyutin
(limited)
dallas stars Jamie Benn (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
Alex Goligoski (limited)
Kari Lehtonen
Travis Moen
(limited)
Antti Niemi
Johnny Oduya (12 teams he will not accept trade to)
Patrick Sharp (limited)
Jason Spezza (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
detroit red wings Jonathan Ericsson (limited)
Mike Green
Jimmy Howard
(10 teams he will not accept trade to)
Niklas Kronwall (limited)
Pavel Datsyuk
edmonton oilers None Andrew Ference
Andrej Sekera
florida panthers Dave Bolland (limited)
Brian Campbell (8 teams he will accept trade to)
Jussi Jokinen (limited)
Willie Mitchell (limited)
Roberto Luongo
None
los angeles kings Dustin Brown (7 teams he will not accept trade to)
Milan Lucic (limited)
Luke Schenn (limited)
Jonathan Quick (limited)
Christian Ehrhoff
Vincent Lecavalier
minnesota wild Devan Dubnyk (10 teams he will not accept trade to) Niklas Backstrom (limited)
Mikko Koivu
Zach Parise
Jason Pominville
(limited)
Ryan Suter
Thomas Vanek
montreal canadiens Alexei Emelin (limited)
Andrei Markov (16 teams he will not accept trade to)
Tomas Plekanec (limited)
Jeff Petry
nashville predators Mike Fisher
Paul Gaustad
(limited)
James Neal (8 teams he will not accept trade to)
Eric Nystrom (limited)
Pekka Rinne (limited)
new jersey devils Mike Cammalleri
Andy Green
Cory Schneider
Travis Zajac
Ryane Clowe
Patrik Elias
Tuomo Ruutu
new york islanders None Johnny Boychuk
new york rangers Derick Brassard (limited)
Dan Girardi (limited)
Dominic Moore (limited)
Rick Nash
Mats Zuccarello
Dan Boyle
Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal
ottawa senators Colin Greening (limited)
Clarke MacArthur (limited)
Marc Methot (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
Milan Michalek (limited)
Chris Neil (15 teams he will not accept trade to)
Chris Phillips (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
Bobby Ryan (10 teams he will not accept trade to)
philadelphia flyers Wayne Simmonds (limited)
Mark Streit (limited)
Claude Giroux
R.J. Umberger
(10 teams he will not accept a trade to)
pittsburgh penguins Trevor Daley (limited)
Pascal Dupuis (8 teams he will not accept trade to)
Patric Hornqvist (limited)
Sidney Crosby
Marc-Andre Fleury
(12 teams he will not accept trade to)
Phil Kessel (8 teams he will accept a trade to)
Kris Letang (12 teams he will not accept trade to)
Evgeni Malkin
san jose sharks Brent Burns (limited)
Logan Couture (limited)
Paul Martin (6 teams he will not accept trade to)
Joe Pavelski (limited)
Raffi Torres (limited)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Joel Ward
(limited)
Patrick Marleau
Joe Thornton
st. louis blues David Backes
Patrik Berglund
(7 teams he will not accept trade to)
Jay Bouwmeester
Troy Brouwer
(limited)
Paul Stastny
Alexander Steen
None
tampa bay lightning Matt Carle (limited)
Braydon Coburn (12 teams he will accept a trade to)
Jason Garrison
Anton Stralman (limited)
Ben Bishop
Ryan Callahan
Valtteri Filppula
(limited)
Mattias Ohlund (limited)
Steven Stamkos
toronto maple leafs Tyler Bozak (12 teams he will accept a trade to)
Joffrey Lupul (14 teams he will accept trade to)
Dion Phaneuf (10 teams he will accept trade to)
Stephane Robidas (limited)
Nathan Horton
vancouver canucks Alexnader Burrows
Alexander Edler
Jannik Hansen
Chris Higgins
(8 teams he will accept trade to)
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Miller
(5 teams he will accept trade to)
Radim Vrbata
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
washington capitals Nicklas Backstrom
Jason Chimera
(limited)
Matt Niskanen (limited)
Alex Ovechkin (10 teams he will not accept a trade to)
None
winnipeg jets Dustin Byfuglien (5 teams he will not accept trade to)
Andrew Ladd (limited)
Bryan Little (limited)
Mark Stuart (limited)
Blake Wheeler (limited)
Tobias Enstrom
Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@yave1964

Hope you don't mind I edited your initial title and pinned the topic.  I was just thinking about the trade deadline and was going to start a thread myself when I saw your topic.

All general trade talk (speculation) should go here unless an official trade occurs.

Listed below are who the The Hockey Writers deems to be the top 25 players who "might" be traded before the deadline.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-trade-deadline-top-available-players/

Thanks Doc!

I think we will see more actual Hockey trades, player for player instead of player for picks because more teams are in it. Deals like Daley/Scuderi or Garbutt/Sekac will be the norm. Of course the deadline is a month out, a few more teams will slip out of it between now and then and a few like Carolina may feel it is in their best interest to get what they can from UFA like Staal and Versteeg rather than make a push for a bottom spot but for the most part player for player deals will be more common than in years past.

13 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Thanks Doc!

I think we will see more actual Hockey trades, player for player instead of player for picks because more teams are in it. Deals like Daley/Scuderi or Garbutt/Sekac will be the norm. Of course the deadline is a month out, a few more teams will slip out of it between now and then and a few like Carolina may feel it is in their best interest to get what they can from UFA like Staal and Versteeg rather than make a push for a bottom spot but for the most part player for player deals will be more common than in years past.

Yup, and as you previously stated, it is very hard to know who will sell and who will buy.

@J0e Th0rnton

You mentioned San Jose having an "overflow" of forwards....who in your opinion on that team would be considered expendable, yet having good value to other teams?

Talk this morning on local airwaves was about the Minnesota Wild trying to find a goal scorer to shake up the lineup coming out of the All Star Break. No specific teams were mentioned, but back when the Wild were inquiring about Jonathan Drouin, it is believed Minnesota would be willing to part with young 22 yr old Jonas Brodin in order to get another scorer.

Not sure if that is the case anymore (Wild willing to part with Brodin...or even Dumba, whom the Lightning reportedly asked for in a trade for Drouin), but was wondering if Minnesota would consider talking with San Jose about a trade for a young D-man they have to acquire a forward of significance from the Sharks.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

46 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@J0e Th0rnton

You mentioned San Jose having an "overflow" of forwards....who in your opinion on that team would be considered expendable, yet having good value to other teams?

Talk this morning on local airwaves was about the Minnesota Wild trying to find a goal scorer to shake up the lineup coming out of the All Star Break. No specific teams were mentioned, but back when the Wild were inquiring about Jonathan Drouin, it is believed Minnesota would be willing to part with young 22 yr old Jonas Brodin in order to get another scorer.

Not sure if that is the case anymore (Wild willing to part with Brodin...or even Dumba, whom the Lightning reportedly asked for in a trade for Drouin), but was wondering of Minnesota would consider talking with San Jose about a trade for a young D-man they have to acquire a forward of significance from the Sharks.

We would not be able to afford Brodin or Dumba anyways.

Lines are some combination of:

Hertl/Thornton/Pavelski

Karlsson/Marleau/Ward

Donskoi/Couture/Wingels

Zubrus/Tierney/Nieto

Brown, Goodrow, Torres, and some others with a few games under their belt like Goldobin, who is a top 6 or bust prospect.

Unless someone wants sandpaper(Wingels) or potential + Speed with good possession but Zero finish(Nieto), I doubt we do much in trade other than for 3rd and 4th picks

• hf101 featured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Doug Wilson is smarter than I gave him credit for. By pretending to pay two 2nd's for Polak, he drove the kings out of the Yandle + Hamhuis sweepstakes, news leaks that Lombardi is not happy with steep prices for Rental Dmen and they ended up trading Error for Scuderi.

Next day, the other secret part of the trade comes out, Reimer, who is worth a 2nd on his own, for 2 San Jose cap dumps and a 4th.

Makes perfect sense.

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Yep Schultz for a third. Seems like a low risk, high reward deal for the Penguins. I would have thought Schultz would have netted a second. Kind of surprising.

Low risk?

Just adding Schultz makes the team worse.

He is so bad Oilers fans are doing cartwheels in thongs publicly. They thought a 5th-7th would be the max they got if they retained.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Low risk?

Just adding Schultz makes the team worse.

He is so bad Oilers fans are doing cartwheels in thongs publicly. They thought a 5th-7th would be the max they got if they retained.

Truthfully tho, how much of how bad Schultz is him and how much is that putrid organization? Taking a kid with no pro experience and advertising him on the same par with Hall and RNH and Eberle and telling him, 'okay kid, we backed a truck of money up to your door, now go be Paul coffey.'

He at the least should have been buried for a year on the bottom pair, P/K unit, not starting out 24 minutes a night against the leagues best and running the point on the power play. They ruined him, IMHO, I see a lot of similarities in Reimer who your boys just added, an organization with no earthly idea how the helll to process young talent throwing a talented kid to the wolves, setting up a cycle of frustration based upon unreachable expectations.

Letang and Maatta are the big dogs there, Daley, Cole and even Lovejoy all have roles. He will fit in likely as the number four, maybe working a little on the second power play in a pinch. No grand expectations, just a guy. I think he needed this as much as Reimer did.

Edmonton fans dancing in the snow wearing thongs. I think that is now stuck in my mind.:goodjob:

@hf101 just mentioned in the shoutbox, Eric Staal to the Rangers for a pair of 2nd rounders.

Nice pickup for the Rangers. They still feel they have what it takes to unseat the Caps as favorites in the East.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@hf101 just mentioned in the shoutbox, Eric Staal to the Rangers for a pair of 2nd rounders.

Nice pickup for the Rangers. They still feel they have what it takes to unseat the Caps as favorites in the East.

Says that Nash might be out for awhile. If Nash does come back I ALONG with STaal I like their chances, It Is like two top six guys coming aboard.

Staal Is not what he used to be,  he sucks at faceoffs,  he would be better on the wing.

I like what Shero did today. Stempniak for a 2nd and 4th. Gelinas for a 3rd. Matteau for Smith-Pelly. Got rid of two guys (Matteau and Gelinas) who clearly weren't part of the long term plan, and got a decent return for Stempniak, who by all accounts liked playing for the Devils and could come back next year anyway. The team just ran out of gas the last 10-15 games, which I kind of expected.