Ducks trade Hagelin to Penguins for Perron, Clendening

OccamsRazor

Pens fans have to be appalled with what their gms have done to a franchise that once boasted two of the top 3 players in the NHL. So now they've basically moved a 1st (Barzal) for an overpaid 3rd liner who's signed for another 3 years. Good times.

In the end, Perron just did not work out for the Pens. Final line 86 games, 16 goals and 22 assists.  Not what the Pens wanted.

Not sure why Clendening was tossed in there, Pens lose a little of the depth on defense. 

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pens fans have to be appalled with what their gms have done to a franchise that once boasted two of the top 3 players in the NHL. So now they've basically moved a 1st (Barzal) for an overpaid 3rd liner who's signed for another 3 years. Good times.

Rutherford has be a major disappointment IMHO.  At one time we had so much talent and youth on the blueline in our system, and its been dealt away chasing.  At some point you need to hold and build from within.

2 minutes ago, nossagog said:

In the end, Perron just did not work out for the Pens. Final line 86 games, 16 goals and 22 assists.  Not what the Pens wanted.

Not sure why Clendening was tossed in there, Pens lose a little of the depth on defense. 

It looks like a "your garbage for mine" trade....except the Pens took on 3 more years after this of $4 miilion hit. And Hagelin has 12 points in 43 games this year. making Perrons numbers an upgrade.

As an a fan of an ex-Holmgren run team...I feel your pain!

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well when you put it that way dear lord that is ugly!

cow sheep torch gary larson pitch fork

15 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I think because Hag is signed for 4 more year and Perron is a UFA.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@OccamsRazor

@flyercanuck

Moonlighting for the Pens also while instructing Rutherford, Homer must be. ", always two there are; no more, no less.  Master and an apprentice." 

Looking back at how he left Carolina and what he's done with the Pens, I think they both may be  Masters of Deconstruction.

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Looking back at how he left Carolina and what he's done with the Pens, I think they both may be  Masters of Deconstruction.

Yeah 3 more years after this at 4 mill plus he has a NMC..........very Holmgrenesque for real....couldn't happen to a better club!!! :ph34r:

Pens top 6 depth chart 2014

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal

Pens top 6 depth chart 2016

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel

players/picks they gave up to get there

Neal/Kapanen/Harrington 2-1sts and about 10 points in the standings....:o

42 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pens top 6 depth chart 2014

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal

Pens top 6 depth chart 2016

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel

players/picks they gave up to get there

Neal/Kapanen/Harrington 2-1sts and about 10 points in the standings....:o

Well, to be fair, one of those firsts may stay with them if they don't make the playoffs this year and next, but they don't get back their second this year if they miss (comes back as a condition of the Kessel trade if they make the playoffs this year).

@AJgoal

@flyercanuck

And to be even fairer and in addition to what AJ said, Dupuis has had to retire due to serious health issues.  Can't really fault Rutherford for that, but I get what you are saying.  They have made some very questionable moves recently.  However they still have Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, and Letang.  There has to be a locker room cancer.  There is no reason why the Pens should be struggling for the fact they gave away alot of role players.(??)

Perron is St. Louis was a top tier two way player with a ton of potential, given to the Oilers in a curious trade. In Edmonton there were times that it looked as if he were the only player who played defense among the forwards and he ripped the club, was dealt to Pittsburgh and seemed an ideal fit. It did not work out.

Clendening has always been a favorite AHLer of mine, a puck moving d-man but his game has not translated to the NHL. running out of chances.

As for Hagelin, he absolutely has bombed in Anaheim, been horrible. Coming out of New York he was probably overrated. I think he is a nothing player who will play third line minutes and contribute little if anything.

The Ducks probably won the deal, Perron is a 15-20 goal forward who can play both ends of the ice, he is not as good as he was supposed to be but he isn't bad. Talent for talent and throw money out of the equation I take Perron over Hagelin any day of the week but neither has really been the player they were hoped to be.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Well, to be fair, one of those firsts may stay with them if they don't make the playoffs this year and next, but they don't get back their second this year if they miss (comes back as a condition of the Kessel trade if they make the playoffs this year).

If they don't make the playoffs this year and next, that isn't going to make any trade they made look any better.

21 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Perron is St. Louis was a top tier two way player with a ton of potential, given to the Oilers in a curious trade. In Edmonton there were times that it looked as if he were the only player who played defense among the forwards and he ripped the club, was dealt to Pittsburgh and seemed an ideal fit. It did not work out.

Clendening has always been a favorite AHLer of mine, a puck moving d-man but his game has not translated to the NHL. running out of chances.

As for Hagelin, he absolutely has bombed in Anaheim, been horrible. Coming out of New York he was probably overrated. I think he is a nothing player who will play third line minutes and contribute little if anything.

The Ducks probably won the deal, Perron is a 15-20 goal forward who can play both ends of the ice, he is not as good as he was supposed to be but he isn't bad. Talent for talent and throw money out of the equation I take Perron over Hagelin any day of the week but neither has really been the player they were hoped to be.

I used to really like Perron....don't know what happened to him. Even still, I prefer him slightly over Hagelin. Add in that contract and it's an easy no-brainer.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@AJgoal

@flyercanuck

And to be even fairer and in addition to what AJ said, Dupuis has had to retire due to serious health issues.  Can't really fault Rutherford for that, but I get what you are saying.  They have made some very questionable moves recently.  However they still have Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, and Letang.  There has to be a locker room cancer.  There is no reason why the Pens should be struggling for the fact they gave away alot of role players.(??)

I' ve Been saying that all year! I' sorry Pens, Jim Rutherford has to go!

5 hours ago, nossagog said:

Rutherford has be a major disappointment IMHO.  At one time we had so much talent and youth on the blueline in our system, and its been dealt away chasing.  At some point you need to hold and build from within.

I agree 150 billion%! Jim Rutherford has to go!

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I used to really like Perron....don't know what happened to him. Even still, I prefer him slightly over Hagelin. Add in that contract and it's an easy no-brainer.

He Played for the Oilers. It usually takes 2 years to get the muscle memory or Wrongness out of your system.

Fortunately, Lowe and MacTavish are gone

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If they don't make the playoffs this year and next, that isn't going to make any trade they made look any better.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Archived