Trade for Crosby

eleven24

Flyers fans have been notorious for hating Crosby (myself included), but as the old adage goes "hate him on another team, love him if he were on your team".  Well in some cases, at least.  With the "reported" rift between Crosby & Lemieux, the underachieving of the Pens, and the top-heavy structure of the salary for the Pens, let's say they call up Hextall and offer to trade Crosby here.  

My hypothetical trade, and would you as a Flyers fan do it.  (Pens fans can offer their opinion too)

To the Flyers: Sidney Crosby

To the Penguins: Claude Giroux, one of Gostisbehere/Provorov/Morin, & either Alt or Hagg

Both Crosby & Giroux are 28 years old.   Both have almost identical stats this year (Crosby 14G 22A, Giroux 13G 22A). Both have comparable cap hits ($8.7M vs $8.3M).  Some will argue they wouldn't trade 87 for 28 straight up - which I think is ridiculous.  But still, hypothetically... would you throw in 2 of your top defensive prospects along with Giroux for a 28 year old Crosby?

I don't think I do it, but not because I dislike Crosby.  I don't do it because I think the future is better off with the D-prospects than with Crosby.

No chance.  Also not because of my feelings towards Crosby, but it reeks of the type of move Homer or Clarkie would have made.  Trade away huge chunks of the core and future core for one player.  Then they have to start all over again to build around that player.

12 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I don't think I do it, but not because I dislike Crosby.  I don't do it because I think the future is better off with the D-prospects than with Crosby.

6 minutes ago, Adamflyers said:

but it reeks of the type of move Homer or Clarkie would have made.  Trade away huge chunks of the core and future core for one player.  Then they have to start all over again to build around that player.

This.

You answered your own question. And @Adamflyers backed it up.

I'm honestly not sure that Crosby will win another Cup.

On top of that his injury history makes such a move prohibitively risky IMO.

It will never happen.

I wouldn't do it though because as good as I think 87 is, he doesn't play well with elite talent, so in addition to losing Giroux the Flyers would have to find a centerman to play with Jake and the elusive left wing...(though I actually like 93 28 17  ) . so it pokes a hole in the roster despite getting arguably the best player in the world.

He's great and I would have loved for the Flyers to have won the lottery his draft year, but the ship for him playing for my team sailed that night in Ottawa when he took his second concussion in 10 days. 

He's really the same age as G?  Would've thought he would be a year or two older.

And.....

No.  I just like Claude's attitude/demeanor better.  And definitely no prospects...

Still feeling like I wished we got Kane instead of JVR though.  That one hasn't changed. 

46 minutes ago, jackhole said:

He's really the same age as G?  Would've thought he would be a year or two older.

And.....

No.  I just like Claude's attitude/demeanor better.  And definitely no prospects...

Still feeling like I wished we got Kane instead of JVR though.  That one hasn't changed. 

Crosby is an 87 (hence the # and contract) and Giroux is an 88 

A trade such as the one proposed would be ridiculously lopsided in favor of Pittsburgh.

Think about it.

Sure, the Flyers would be getting a premier marquee player in Crosby, and a Stanley Cup winner...but as has been mentioned already, is he still at that level after the wear n tear and the injuries?

Also, look at all that talent going back Pitt's way...PLUS, they'd still have Malkin to go along with those players and Giroux.

Unless getting Crosby instantly guarantees Philly a Cup (it wouldn't), then this is a trade that no sane Philly GM makes........now, Giroux for Crosby STRAIGHT UP? Maybe there is a discussion....even though the likelihood of Giroux having more quality years (again due to past injuries) ahead of him over Crosby would be greater.

Yea, I know it was a hypothetical, but any Philly GM that would agree to that package for Crosby, should be left out in 20 below zero weather to suffer from HYPOTHERMIA....

Even if Crosby was still at the top of his game with no injury concerns, there's absolutely no way that PIT would trade him to us. Philly and Pittsburgh will never complete a significant trade together.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Even if Crosby was still at the top of his game with no injury concerns, there's absolutely no way that PIT would trade him to us. Philly and Pittsburgh will never complete a significant trade together.

See, now, I voted in the negative for this trade AS THINGS STAND NOW. No question about it.

Now, if Sid WERE at the top of his game, at his current age, with the salaries between he and Giroux being what they are AND with no past head injuries to speak of, then, you know what? If I am the Flyers, I absolutely think about this deal. Taking nothing away from Claude Giroux.

Like him or not, a top-of-his-game Sid is one of, if not THE best player in the NHL. So if you are Philadelphia, and it costs you Claude and a couple good prospects to get ahold of a premier player in his prime firing on all cylinders, with no signs of slowing down, you at least seriously THINK about it, or maybe even do the deal.

And yea, I agree...the Pens and Fly would likely not do a trade like this due to the rivalry, in-division thing, etc....but this whole thread is a HYPOTHETICAL, and that's the beauty of a hypo...we can speculate till the ice rinks melt away to our hearts' content.  :ahappy:

11 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I'm confused with all the references to "injury problems".  All what injuries?  I know about his concussion history but he hasn't had one in several years.  What am I missing here?

Probably not the best choice of words, using the term "injury problems", but the head/concussion stuff is serious enough on its own and as it stands with him now.

As we all know, those never go away, but rather accumulate over time. The likely thinking here is, if Sid were to get blasted even just once more where he suffers another one, it could be his career right then and there.

No matter how much I dislike a player or team, I personally wouldn't want to wish concussion injury on any player.....but they are real, Sid has suffered them, and those are just things he will have to carry with him the rest of his career.

If he is fortunate, he STAYS the way he has been (head injury free) and can see the rest of his career through to its natural conclusion.

As it relates to giving up Giroux and highly touted prospects, I think it's just too much to give for a player who currently is in a down year (at least for him) AND has the head injury history.....making just one mid sized to big shot away from being away from the NHL for an indefinite amount of time.

6 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Flyers fans have been notorious for hating Crosby (myself included), but as the old adage goes "hate him on another team, love him if he were on your team".  Well in some cases, at least.  With the "reported" rift between Crosby & Lemieux, the underachieving of the Pens, and the top-heavy structure of the salary for the Pens, let's say they call up Hextall and offer to trade Crosby here.  

My hypothetical trade, and would you as a Flyers fan do it.  (Pens fans can offer their opinion too)

To the Flyers: Sidney Crosby

To the Penguins: Claude Giroux, one of Gostisbehere/Provorov/Morin, & either Alt or Hagg

Both Crosby & Giroux are 28 years old.   Both have almost identical stats this year (Crosby 14G 22A, Giroux 13G 22A). Both have comparable cap hits ($8.7M vs $8.3M).  Some will argue they wouldn't trade 87 for 28 straight up - which I think is ridiculous.  But still, hypothetically... would you throw in 2 of your top defensive prospects along with Giroux for a 28 year old Crosby?

Is it April fools already?

Or maybe You just don't know much about Crosby and the Flyers.  I think Crosby would sooner retire. 

Either way, I'll keep G thanks. 

6 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

No chance.  Also not because of my feelings towards Crosby, but it reeks of the type of move Homer or Clarkie would have made.  Trade away huge chunks of the core and future core for one player.  Then they have to start all over again to build around that player.

I honestly don't think homer or clarke would make this move. 

Theyd yd make it for weber or Ekblad mcdavid.  Not Crosby. 

I know it's hypothetical, but why is this even "hypothetically" proposed?

If Crosby was 20 years old, then yes, but he is just as old as Giroux, putting up similar stats, and the Flyers would have to part with a potential franchise defensemen plus a potential NHL regular? 

For this to work they'd have to send something significant back besides Crosby, and outside of Pouliot I would want nothing on their farm.

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

I know it's hypothetical, but why is this even "hypothetically" proposed?

If Crosby was 20 years old, then yes, but he is just as old as Giroux, putting up similar stats, and the Flyers would have to part with a potential franchise defensemen plus a potential NHL regular? 

For this to work they'd have to send something significant back besides Crosby, and outside of Pouliot I would want nothing on their farm.

Well, all in the name of conversation starters for one...as evidenced by this thread's 24 replies.

Besides, it can be fun talking about stuff that won't ever happen.

I mean, Flyers fans talk all the time about having their entire farm system come up and lead the team to a Cup, right?

All fun stuff..... :rolleyes::lol:

Archived