Game #45 - Flyers at Penguins - Jan 21 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-12116--PIT/45/74173

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.23 (28th), Penguins 2.42 (22nd)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.57 (13th), Penguins 2.44 (11th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 63/65, Penguins 67/70
Power play efficiency: Flyers 15.7% (27th), Penguins 18.7% (12th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.2% (24th), Penguins 84.6% (6th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.2 (12th), Penguins 32.1 (1st)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.1 (29th), Penguins 31.0 (24th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 49.9% (18th), Penguins 50.3% (11th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 19 Jordan Weal

15 Michael Del Zotto - 3 Radko Gudas
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason / 30 Michal Neuvirth

Scratches: Brandon Manning (healthy), one of Scott Laughton or R.J. Umberger (healthy).

Penguins

14 Chris Kunitz    - 87 Sidney Crosby - 72 Patric Hörnqvist
62 Carl Hagelin - 71 Evgeni Malkin- 81 Phil Kessel
34 Tom Kuhnhackl - 16 Eric Fehr - 17 Bryan Rust
11 Kevin Porter - 7 Matt Cullen - 43 Conor Sheary

3 Olli Määttä - 58 Kris Letang
8 Brian Dumoulin - 12 Ben Lovejoy
28 Ian Cole - 6 Trevor Daley

29 Marc-Andre Fleury
[37 Jeff Zatkoff]

Scratches: Derrick Pouliot (healthy), Sergei Plotnikov (healthy), Beau Bennet (IR, right shoulder), Nick Bonino (IR, hand), David Warsofsky (day-to-day, concussion).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings:

This is a tale of two interesting teams in terms of performance.  The O and B are "overachievers" of late; the Pens are at the other bookend. It is an unpleasant rivalry regardless. The Flyers have to avoid stupid penalties and turnovers.  I wonder who's between the pipes for us?

This is a bounce-back game for the Flyers after the Toronto "mishap."  Umby sitting may be more important that his replacement.  He tries...but there is nothing to show for it. His skill deterioration is sad. I would like to see more O from our bottom lines in general....

LGF,

Howie

@Howie

Good point....the Pens are "all in" with the trades they've made giving up future for now (which they should be doing with Crosby/Malkin) and the Flyers are building for the future. The fact that a win moves us in front of them makes me laugh, no matter what happens the rest of the way.

I hope to never see Umberger play another game for the Flyers...but if he's got to, play him against the 'Guins. If he can't do something in front of his hometown, it's time to take this ol' dog out behind the shed and put him down.

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Good point....the Pens are "all in" with the trades they've made giving up future for now (which they should be doing with Crosby/Malkin) and the Flyers are building for the future. The fact that a win moves us in front of them makes me laugh, no matter what happens the rest of the way.

It's really a cautionary tale about committing so much cap space to two or three players. Pittsburgh has 53 percent of the cap ($38M) tied up in five players (Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel, Fleury) for the next three years. Letang is making $2.157M less than the rest of the defense combined.

This isn't a "superstar" game - it's a "team" game. If you're trying to bet on making the Pascal Dupuis' of the world better so you can pay your "superstars" that much more then you get the results we've seen.

Yahoo! is showing Pittsburgh's Top Six including Conor Sheary and The Ghost of Chris Kunitz.

And that's not working for them?

1 minute ago, SKiFit said:

That big sigh of relief you just heard was coming from Malkin.... :ph34r:

Sorry to see Coots out for the game and for selfish reasons it hurts my chance to gain points for my FHL team.  :ermm:

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

boy they had a nice team in the cup years.

blowing up that third line of kennedy , Staal and Cooke was the death knell. 

thank god

Kennedy was a Flyer killer....he ALWAYS had a couple of points versus the Flyers. 

Weal is out of lineup. Ditto injured Coots and Manning.

Hakstol said Flyers recalled Gagner because he gives them experience over Weal.

How do you truly know Weal can't help without playing him. WTFever!!

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How do you truly know Weal can't help without playing him. WTFever!!

It is not cost prohibitive to keep Weal in the box...his 632k salary is very friendly. Not sure if Gagner has to clear waivers again but even so, if someone picks him up, it just frees up more salary for the Flyers.

4 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't understand re-calling Gagner and not playing Weal. Weal could have a future with the team, Gagner does not as he will be gone this summer at the latest 

I think they are planning on playing Weal also in place of Umberger and Gagner is going to fill in for Couturier. According to Frank S. Weal is scheduled to play.

58 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I don't understand re-calling Gagner and not playing Weal. Weal could have a future with the team, Gagner does not as he will be gone this summer at the latest 

Only thing I can think is they want to see something from Gagner so they can trade him at deadline  ???

6 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Only thing I can think is they want to see something from Gagner so they can trade him at deadline  ???

the 7th round pick we get for him can used to pick the next Henrik Zetterberg 

good plan 

Archived