Coots out V Pens ...crap

King Knut

34 minutes ago, brelic said:

We could use a guy who plays center and can score goals.

Someone with 4 points (3g, 1a) in 6 games averaging 12 minutes of ice time.

BRING BACK VLC!!!*

*Completely facetious by the way.

Not for nothin, but why aren't we talking about this?

Not saying I'd want him back or regret the trade, of course not.   BUT I have said for two years that this kind of production was not impossible from him and that it was on the staff for not using him well for not getting it out of him.

His two way game is just such a problem that they didn't care to try, but by letting him score a bit you make him a more palatable trade option for someone.

if he finishes the year with 15 goals there will literally be NO reason for him to retire.   Then what?  

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not for nothin, but why aren't we talking about this?

Not saying I'd want him back or regret the trade, of course not.   BUT I have said for two years that this kind of production was not impossible from him and that it was on the staff for not using him well for not getting it out of him.

His two way game is just such a problem that they didn't care to try, but by letting him score a bit you make him a more palatable trade option for someone.

if he finishes the year with 15 goals there will literally be NO reason for him to retire.   Then what?  

Then what? Who cares? He's gone...glad to be rid of yet another of Holmgrens mistakes.

Next up...Umberger.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Then what? Who cares? He's gone...glad to be rid of yet another of Holmgrens mistakes.

Next up...Umberger.

If he doesn't retire - and there's really nothing enforceable that I've seen that requires him to do so - the Flyers are stuck holding half his salary for two more seasons.

That's it.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

If he doesn't retire - and there's really nothing enforceable that I've seen that requires him to do so - the Flyers are stuck holding half his salary for two more seasons.

That's it.

Right. Hopefully he keeps his word. 

23 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Next up...Umberger.

I care.  I was right.  

We could have been rid of him last year if Hextall and Berube had been on the same page with that thinking.  He's not completely useless, he doesn't JUST PLAIN SUCK.  He has some utility.

Right now he looks like a goal scorer.  He could have either of the past two years as well.  If he looks like that in years when we all knew this team was boned anyway, THEN trade him when you don't have to eat half his salary and send anyone else with him to sweeten it up.

They might not have had to dump Luke with him and that means they could have held Luke until the deadline this year when they could've fetched far more for him.

23 hours ago, radoran said:

That's it.

Are they?  Was that written into the deal?  I dont feel like it was.

23 hours ago, radoran said:

That's it.

If you retire, how long do you have to wait to go full Guy LaFleur and un-retire?  

Just now, King Knut said:

Are they?  Was that written into the deal?  I dont feel like it was.

The Flyers retained half the salary. As I understand retention, there isn't a "1/2 this year and then none later"

Every cap site I've looked at also has it as for the next two years as well (pending retirement)

Just now, King Knut said:

If you retire, how long do you have to wait to go full Guy LaFleur and un-retire?  

The whole concept is to avoid circumvention of the cap.

"retiring" to get out of a deal and then coming back the next season would seem, to me, to be obvious cap circumvention which I have to believe the league would frown upon.

LA is still paying a penalty on Richards despite his contract with the Caps, for example, - a slightly different example due to the "termination" as opposed to "retirement"

My read on this Kovalchuk article seems to indicate five years?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/22757044/ilya-kovalchuk-could-return-to-nhl-without-approval-in-2018

But, if it has to do with him being 35, VLC is already 35.

55 minutes ago, radoran said:

The whole concept is to avoid circumvention of the cap.

"retiring" to get out of a deal and then coming back the next season would seem, to me, to be obvious cap circumvention which I have to believe the league would frown upon.

LA is still paying a penalty on Richards despite his contract with the Caps, for example, - a slightly different example due to the "termination" as opposed to "retirement"

My read on this Kovalchuk article seems to indicate five years?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/22757044/ilya-kovalchuk-could-return-to-nhl-without-approval-in-2018

But, if it has to do with him being 35, VLC is already 35.

A dark part of me hopes he pots 20 goals for them and sticks it to The Flyers and rides out his contract with them.  The Flyers kind of earned the headache.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

A dark part of me hopes he pots 20 goals for them and sticks it to The Flyers and rides out his contract with them.  The Flyers kind of earned the headache.  

Yeah.  I think the flyers are somewhat to blame for that whole situation.  We all were praising Hextal for getting rid of him.  It had to be done because it just wasn't working out for him here.  I think Berube screwed him up and he lost respect for the franchise.  He played a very unmotivated game so Hak couldn't use him.

Now he's in LA playing for a very good team.  Playing for a team that is very much in contention is motivation enough, but I think he wants to prove that everything in Philli wasn't his fault.  I don't think it was either.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

Now he's in LA playing for a very good team.  Playing for a team that is very much in contention is motivation enough, but I think he wants to prove that everything in Philli wasn't his fault.  I don't think it was either.

Of course it wasn't his fault.

He just happens to be the only player in NHL history getting paid by THREE teams...TWO paying him to not play for them.

22 minutes ago, icehole said:

I didn't even know what that meant so I ignored that.  You're getting closer...it has to do with couturier.

Not exactly sure what you folks are talking about but one thing that isn't true is Coots has only missed the last two games. He played in the Laff loss in fact he lost the last draw which lead to the GWer.

So that should settle that.

However Coots has missed 8 games this year and the Flyers have only won one of those games.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not exactly sure what you folks are talking about but one thing that isn't true is Coots has only missed the last two games. He played in the Laff loss in fact he lost the last draw which lead to the GWer.

So that should settle that.

However Coots has missed 8 games this year and the Flyers have only won one of those games.

Thank you OR.  I don't know who that tweeter is but he pops up on my twitter feed often.  He posted that and everyone that replied just agreed with him.

Ill take your word for it about the games he's missed.  This is the dilemma I have constantly.  I like couturier and I want him to succeed.  I think the flyers are a better team with him.  But I can't stand that he is untouchable when it comes to criticism.  He's like a f'ING legend around here for some reason.  That win/loss record without him is telling, but I don't blame all of those losses on him being out of the lineup.  I blame umberher playing every night, Schultz playing over medvedev, 4th line seemingly put there every other shift, and read playing in a desperation situation.  They were winning the close games but now are losing.  That's what happens with close games usually.

@icehole

"4th line seemingly put there every other shift "

could this be because the roster has 6 players that would be 4th line on another team ? truly i can't figure out if PEB CVV and White are the 4th line...or if Laughton Bumbleberger and add a stiff are the 4th line.  

it seems to me the PEB CVV White combo is playing in 3rd line situations but they're so offensively challenged maybe we just think they're the 4th line...:drool:

Archived