Shawn Horcoff suspended 20 games for PEDs

yave1964

Shawn Horcoff has been suspended by the league for 20 games for violating the leagues anti-doping rules. Following what seems to be the protocol for pro sports players he made a statement sort of accepting responsibility but blaming it on ignorance of the fact that what he took was a banned substance.Anaheim Ducks end Calgary Flames' streak with 1-0 victory | FOX Sports

“While recovering from an injury I suffered this past fall, I tried a treatment that I believed would help speed up the healing process. Although I was unaware that this treatment was not permitted under NHL rules, that is no excuse whatsoever," Horcoff said in a statement released by the NHLPA.Ryan Getzlaf and Shawn Horcoff Photos - Zimbio"I should have done my research and I should have checked with the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program’s doctors. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I am sorry. Throughout my entire career, I have felt genuinely blessed and honored to play the great game of hockey, and I regret the impact that this may have on my team and our fans. I look forward to the day I return to the ice for the playoff push.”

He is the first player since Zenon KonopkaMinnesota Wild's Zenon Konopka battered, ready again - TwinCities.com to receive the suspension, rather than face the suspension Konopka went to Europe.

Good for the league. Hopefully it sends a clear message.

Yup...just saw this a few minutes ago...you beat me to posting it.  He seems genuinely remorseful, but yeah....he should have done due diligence.  I agree..i hope it sends a clear message to both the League and the players.

Usually, they will grant some sort of exemption for some treatments if it is to help heal an injury.

If it is a "under no circumstances" substance, then the league should make it known, or let us know if it is a category 2 hormone agent.

But given Horcoff's age and rapidly depreciating skillset..........

He is at that age where the youthful bounce is long past, takes way longer to heal and sees his career fading. Hell, I am that age and feel like that sometimes lol. But I do not play pro sports.

Instead of feeling like a fast corvette, that age feels like the beat up old racecar who gets a fresh coat of paint to cover the dings.

Its also around the age most of the past their prime MMA fighters get caught juicing.

Not accusing. Just saying.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

He seems genuinely remorseful

This is the standard response carefully worded by the NHLPA to minimize backlash from the public. Horcoff is extremely sorry.....that he got caught......:unsure[1]:

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

This is the standard response carefully worded by the NHLPA to minimize backlash from the public. Horcoff is extremely sorry.....that he got caught......:unsure[1]:

yeah I know...general SOP...however I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to some players based on past history and their overall conduct in the league....but yeah I get what you are saying.

Just now, pilldoc said:

yeah I know...general SOP...however I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to some players based on past history and their overall conduct in the league....but yeah I get what you are saying.

He might very well be "ignorant/innocent" but I doubt it. With the training/press coverage I find it hard to believe he did not think about. I would be willing to say he weighed the results in his mind of what would happen IF he got caught and thought the risk/reward was worth the punishment. Perhaps he can pass on the recipe to Umberger and Schultz.....I would be willing for them to take the risk......:ph34r: (and then call and turn them in for it):devil:

Archived