What is wrong with Ryan Getzlaf?

yave1964

th?id=OIP.M268756474512751ca380caffc9d89The Anaheim Ducks have struggled all year and need look no further for a reason than Captain Ryan Getzlaf.

This season in 43 games he has managed an anemic 3 goals and a paltry (for him) total of 31 points. The 30 year old Getzlaf seems to be aging quickly.

The most disturbing thing that I have read is that in his past 61 games he has managed exactly ONE even strength goal. He simply does not have it anymore. In a season that has saw players like Crosby look human, goalies such as Lundqvist and Rinne sometimes appear less than that even, Getzlaf may be the biggest disappointment of them all. The Ducks were picked by many to unseed the Hawks in the West, if they don't much if not most of the blame will fall on cryin' Ryan's big shoulders.

It happens. In this day and age where a premium is placed on youth and speed people are getting older much younger, if you know what I mean. I wrote elsewhere that long time linemate Corey Perry who has managed 20 goals can still play and is being held down by the man centering him the puck.

Perry is to Jeff Carter what Getzlaf is to Mike Richards, if you know what I mean.th?id=OIP.M544b81b647bb1ab345b8cff3f6b7b He has five years left on his contract at over 6.25 million a year with a no movement clause.

Maybe the Ducks can get lucky and Getzlaf will get busted sneaking Percocet into Canada.

Getzlaf is an easy scapegoat for the Ducks' overall season, being one of the highest paid players on the team and the team captain, but he is FAR from the only issue on this team.

Everyone from him to his supporting cast, to the defense, to the goaltending. If it's not injury related, it is under performing related. And like you said, with the expectations for this Ducks team this year, all these things going wrong are magnified to the Nth degree.

3 G, 28 A is pretty bad past the halfway point in the season for a man like Getzlaf who previously, had consistently shown that he is much, much better than that.

In fact, Ryan Kesler, the team's number two center, has actually played more like the number one.

I'm not giving Getzlaf a pass on this mind you, because his current point production is very Jonathan Drouin-like.....and if you fry a ROOKIE over numbers like that, then you certainly roast an established team captain for it.

Still though, I am not ready to say Getzlaf has "lost it".

Throughout his career, he has seen ups n downs, season to season.....he goes through some stretches where he has "meh" seasons, followed by really fantastic ones,and vice versa. I get the whole "he isn't getting any younger" argument, but still, we are talking about a 30 yr old here.

Personally, I'd wait till next season to see what he is like. The Ducks as a team seem to have turned the proverbial corner and have been playing much better lately. Maybe if Getzlaf is having a good season, the Ducks are at the top of the standings by now, but in any case, I think all Anaheim is interested in right now is getting into the post season and going from there.

Maybe Getzlaf, if he gets there, shows the NHL something in a 7 game series and it can carry over into the following season, win or lose, for Anaheim.

Some ailment we don't know about? Some personal issue he is simply trying to play through? Or just a down year plain n simple? Who knows........Anaheim definitely needs him to perform, and I think he understands that because he IS the face of the franchise, eyes, whether to blame or praise, look towards him.

I am just not ready to call him "done" quite yet.

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Getzlaf is an easy scapegoat for the Ducks' overall season, being one of the highest paid players on the team and the team captain, but he is FAR from the only issue on this team.

Everyone from him to his supporting cast, to the defense, to the goaltending. If it's not injury related, it is under performing related. And like you said, with the expectations for this Ducks team this year, all these things going wrong are magnified to the Nth degree.

3 G, 28 A is pretty bad past the halfway point in the season for a man like Getzlaf who previously, had consistently shown that he is much, much better than that.

In fact, Ryan Kesler, the team's number two center, has actually played more like the number one.

I'm not giving Getzlaf a pass on this mind you, because his current point production is very Jonathan Drouin-like.....and if you fry a ROOKIE over numbers like that, then you certainly roast an established team captain for it.

Still though, I am not ready to say Getzlaf has "lost it".

Throughout his career, he has seen ups n downs, season to season.....he goes through some stretches where he has "meh" seasons, followed by really fantastic ones,and vice versa. I get the whole "he isn't getting any younger" argument, but still, we are talking about a 30 yr old here.

Personally, I'd wait till next season to see what he is like. The Ducks as a team seem to have turned the proverbial corner and have been playing much better lately. Maybe if Getzlaf is having a good season, the Ducks are at the top of the standings by now, but in any case, I think all Anaheim is interested in right now is getting into the post season and going from there.

Maybe Getzlaf, if he gets there, shows the NHL something in a 7 game series and it can carry over into the following season, win or lose, for Anaheim.

Some ailment we don't know about? Some personal issue he is simply trying to play through? Or just a down year plain n simple? Who knows........Anaheim definitely needs him to perform, and I think he understands that because he IS the face of the franchise, eyes, whether to blame or praise, look towards him.

I am just not ready to call him "done" quite yet.

one even strength goal in 61 games is beyond awful. There are literally hundreds of players in that span with more than that. And he is the captain of a team picked to win a cup.

I have only seen him three times this year where I made a point of watching him, he is bending further at the waist than in the past and seems to be laboring which may be to your point of a hidden injury, but I think he looks like he is dragging himself up and down the ice, I think he has lost a step. Agreed that the rest of the team is also to blame (although I do love both of their recent trades, adding Garbutt and Perron) nothing has worked. Anderssen has very good stats, other than he cannot buy a win. The three prized gems on the back end, Vatanen, Fowler and Lindholm have been very average. The veteran brought in to offset the loss of Beauchimin to Colorado has done little. Silferberg and the other young wingers are all non existent most nights.

But that is when a captain MUST pick his team up on his shoulders, I just think that Getzlaf is not that guy anymore. I think he is showing signs of age that need to be concern. With one of the top goal scorers in Perry playing on his wing I believe that Getzlaf's numbers may have been a bit overinflated the past two years. Not even Perry can keep him going anymore. I really think the Richards/Carter analogy is apt.

The entire thing is so odd. This could very well be age and mileage catching up, but the Ducks are creating the same amount of chances with him on the ice as they ever have. Over the last 6 seasons prior to 2016, they get 28 Scoring Chances For per 60 minutes, and this year it's 28. They're getting slightly more shots and better possession numbers. His playmaking hasn't dropped off the table: he always assisted on 65% to 75% of available goals and this season he's at 72%.

The dropoff that we can measure comes in shooting percentage: from 12.7% over his career down to 3.5% this year. Is there any way to explain this drop? It seems so. This is Ryan Getzlaf's shot rate per 60 minutes by area in the offensive zone from 2010 to 2015:

eLUDZqt.jpg

The numbers in dark red are tough to see, but are 2.64. In other words, he shot the puck 2.64 times more per 60 minutes from the slot than league average. His number from directly in front of the net was 2.11 times more than league average. He shots A LOT from the most dangerous areas of the ice, and the blue area shows that he shot a lot less than average from outside of those areas. This year?

prZP5rT.jpg
The difference couldn't be any more stark. He's shooting about as much as ever from the high slot, but the amount right in front of the net is a precipitous fall (much lower than average), and he's shooting from outside much much more than in past seasons. I don't know if this is age or a team system, though my initial feeling is that it's probably not a team thing.

The above images would seem to paint a picture of a player who still has skill, but is losing his ability to skate to advantageous position from which to shoot the puck. I've never made a point to note the difference between how he's bending at waist compared to now and before, or if he's slowed down (not sure how we could measure it by eye in game situations). I suppose the quicker way is to say that I'm not a scout, and as subjective and prone to bias as it can be, I'm willing to accept the opinions of those who may have a better eye or who care to look.

yave's observations and the data seem to collide, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

The entire thing is so odd. This could very well be age and mileage catching up, but the Ducks are creating the same amount of chances with him on the ice as they ever have. Over the last 6 seasons prior to 2016, they get 28 Scoring Chances For per 60 minutes, and this year it's 28. They're getting slightly more shots and better possession numbers. His playmaking hasn't dropped off the table: he always assisted on 65% to 75% of available goals and this season he's at 72%.

The dropoff that we can measure comes in shooting percentage: from 12.7% over his career down to 3.5% this year. Is there any way to explain this drop? It seems so. This is Ryan Getzlaf's shot rate per 60 minutes by area in the offensive zone from 2010 to 2015:

eLUDZqt.jpg

The numbers in dark red are tough to see, but are 2.64. In other words, he shot the puck 2.64 times more per 60 minutes from the slot than league average. His number from directly in front of the net was 2.11 times more than league average. He shots A LOT from the most dangerous areas of the ice, and the blue area shows that he shot a lot less than average from outside of those areas. This year?

prZP5rT.jpg
The difference couldn't be any more stark. He's shooting about as much as ever from the high slot, but the amount right in front of the net is a precipitous fall (much lower than average), and he's shooting from outside much much more than in past seasons. I don't know if this is age or a team system, though my initial feeling is that it's probably not a team thing.

The above images would seem to paint a picture of a player who still has skill, but is losing his ability to skate to advantageous position from which to shoot the puck. I've never made a point to note the difference between how he's bending at waist compared to now and before, or if he's slowed down (not sure how we could measure it by eye in game situations). I suppose the quicker way is to say that I'm not a scout, and as subjective and prone to bias as it can be, I'm willing to accept the opinions of those who may have a better eye or who care to look.

yave's observations and the data seem to collide, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

Getzlaf is a big guy, (6 foot 4) and being as the Wings were in the West with Anaheim for years and met in the playoffs with alarming regularity I got to see a lot of Getzlaf, he always skated straight up with little bend, it reminded me of Lindros in a lot of ways is why I always noticed it. I kept waiting for someone to drill him because of his slightly odd skating style but nobody ever really caught him shoulder to chin. It was odd but looked effortless.  This year he is stooping a bit more, almost as if he is laboring. He every well may be hiding an injury but he looks old. Not just his balding head either, lol, he looks to be an old 30.

Great graphics! Wow that is nice, it does look like he has lost a step based off his shot selection, he is not getting in ahead of the play and in front of the net, the game is catching up to him.

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Getzlaf is a big guy, (6 foot 4) and being as the Wings were in the West with Anaheim for years and met in the playoffs with alarming regularity I got to see a lot of Getzlaf, he always skated straight up with little bend, it reminded me of Lindros in a lot of ways is why I always noticed it. I kept waiting for someone to drill him because of his slightly odd skating style but nobody ever really caught him shoulder to chin. It was odd but looked effortless.  This year he is stooping a bit more, almost as if he is laboring. He every well may be hiding an injury but he looks old. Not just his balding head either, lol, he looks to be an old 30.

Great graphics! Wow that is nice, it does look like he has lost a step based off his shot selection, he is not getting in ahead of the play and in front of the net, the game is catching up to him.

It does seem that way, but it's hard to remember it happening so quickly to such a terrific player. His game was never built on huge speed, and if he's lost a step (or more) and you couple that with the game becoming faster and faster, this is the sort of thing you can see.

18 hours ago, yave1964 said:

he is bending further at the waist than in the past and seems to be laboring which may be to your point of a hidden injury, but I think he looks like he is dragging himself up and down the ice, I think he has lost a step.

I watched the Bruins - Ducks game on Tues and that's exactly what I saw. Either that or he just doesn't give a crap. Sometime the two are hard to distinguish between.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I watched the Bruins - Ducks game on Tues and that's exactly what I saw. Either that or he just doesn't give a crap. Sometime the two are hard to distinguish between.

He's guaranteed to make $50.75 Million Dollars over the next five years. He's got a ring.

He's also on track for a 60-point season and did have 25/70 with a 20 in 16 playoffs last season.

Honestly, it's why I have such reservations with these giant long-term commitments. You're reliant on the player not only retaining their motivation, but also their health.

It's a huge risk.

That said, I don't think the rest of the Top Six talent on the Ducks (outside of Perry) has exactly been blowing the doors off. And the bottom six is a Who's Who of "Who!?"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived