Did Wideman just Cross Check Linesman Don Henderson?

hf101

How many Games for Dennis Wideman?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What suspension will the League Hand out to Dennis Wideman?

• No Suspension - 100% Accidental
    • 1-2 Games
    • 3-5 Games
    • More than 5 Games

Was this Intentional or Not?  -- I have to think that Wideman's crosscheck to Henderson was deliberate for no call on the late hit he received by Salomaki, but then was he fully with it himself?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Response from Wideman:

“I was just trying to get off the ice. And, at the last second, I looked up and saw him,” said Wideman post-game. “I couldn’t avoid it. I didn’t know where to go or how to get out of the way of him.”
"Throughout my career I think I've treated every official with the utmost respect & I'd never try to intentionally hit a linesman or ref," he said.

Wideman did apologize to Henderson and there was no penalty on the play.

I don't buy that. He skated right off after the hit and didn't look back. If he really didn't mean to do it, he would have been looking back and checking to see that he was ok.

Absurd play, a non call that should have been a game misconduct. Reminds me a bit of Tom Lysiak forty years ago tripping a ref on purpose while with Chicago and getting twenty games. God I am getting old. But yeah, these officials put up with enough crap without the fear of physical intimidation for what a player views as a missed call, 20 games is the standard set and should still apply today.

Just watched it over and over for 5 times.  How in holy hell is that not a penalty!!  If that is is not an intentional hit and there is no call and if there is no suspension then this league is a joke.  I don't care if Weidman apologized or not...he lined him up and gave the linesman a class A crosscheck.  If the League wants to send a message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated then it starts off with a hefty fine and a minimum 15 game suspension.  There could have been serious bodliy harm done to the linesman.

I didn't see the Lucic one, Of course he has gotten away with that crap forever.

My pet peeve, if a player wants to fight, drop the damn gloves. This cowardly (see Lucic, Milan and Doan, Shane) punching someone in the face while still wearing your gloves should be called as a penalty, period. You want to be a tough guy go ahead and be one but drop the mitts this punching and then backing away while screaming and acting a fool and still wearing your gloves is a way the players have gotten away with things for too long but in recent years it has gotten out of hand, every stoppage in front of the net it seems to happen, Either be a real tough guy or stop the prancingl

As much as I hate Lucic, that was a friendly fire incident.  That being said, suspend him anyway.

As for Wideman, man that does not look accidental. He starts bring the stick up when he's well far away. I don't think it passes the smell test. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

As much as I hate Lucic, that was a friendly fire incident.  That being said, suspend him anyway.

As for Wideman, man that does not look accidental. He starts bring the stick up when he's well far away. I don't think it passes the smell test. 

Agree. I think he gets the mandatory 10 games per league rules.  It's 20 if they think there was intent to injure.  Wouldn't be surprised if he got that - just not expecting it.

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

It sure looked intentional but I don't think he knew who or what he was hitting,,He was out on his feet..

Play should have been  stopped..

Agreed. It doesn't look intentional to me. He's mad, likely dazed, and heading to the bench. He's going to go over top of anything in his way at that point. Happens to be a linesman. Get out of the way!

Dennis Flippin Wideman.

I've been saying for several seasons what a nondescript, average joe, standard Schultz-like, dime-a-dozen defenseman this guy is.

I mean, he isn't TERRIBLE at what he does, but he is so remarkably UNREMARKABLE that he could just blend in the background, like a freakin chameleon, and no one would know he is there till he does something dumb on the ice.

And of ALL the dumb things to do and to FINALLY get noticed nationally across two countries and league wide, THIS is it!!??

I don't know to what extent his own Calgary Flames are gonna support him on this, but honestly, with the way the Flames season is going, and with guys like Wideman not really being the solution to what ails the team, it wouldn't surprise me if Calgary at some point sooner than later, took a chance on a raw rook or some other LESS expensive nondescript player to take his place on the team.

Honestly.....who off the top of their head can name the teams Dennis Wideman has played for without looking anything up? Probably not many. Such is his imprint in the league.

Well, congratulations Mr. Wideman, EVERYONE knows who you are now.

I think his story is BS. He got clobbered, wanted a penalty call, didn't get one, skated to the bench, and cleaned out the linesman on his way there with a crosscheck. Then he kept on skating while the linesman was laying down on the ice.

If it's me running the show, Wideman would be suspended for the remainder of the season.  That is the most blatant "abuse of official" in NHL history. 

It kind of reminds me of Farnham losing his **** and hitting the first thing he saw earlier this year. I don't think Wideman got up and went looking to hit an official, but he was skating off, the linesman was in his way, and, being pissed off, he did something really stupid and hit him.

might be able to buy the idea that he was dazed enough that he thought he was targeting a Preds player (emphasis on might), but his claim that it was a complete accident strikes me as an outright lie. Honestly, I said that to the TV when I saw the replay of it on "On the Fly." Even if he didn't mean to target an official, it was definitely an intentional crosscheck. Either way, throw the book at him. That kind of junk has to stop.

The linesman is backing up into him. They do sorta collide because of that, all of a sudden, no? 

Wideman does what he has done a million times from instinct: he puts his arms up. His stick is in his hands, because hockey players carry sticks. And wham he hits him. 

I must really hate refs (I do), 'cause I don't have a problem with what happened there. Besides, he said sorry after. 

Archived