Did Wideman just Cross Check Linesman Don Henderson?

hf101

How many Games for Dennis Wideman?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What suspension will the League Hand out to Dennis Wideman?

• No Suspension - 100% Accidental
    • 1-2 Games
    • 3-5 Games
    • More than 5 Games

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

The linesman is backing up into him. They do sorta collide because of that, all of a sudden, no? 

Wideman does what he has done a million times from instinct: he puts his arms up. His stick is in his hands, because hockey players carry sticks. And wham he hits him. 

I must really hate refs (I do), 'cause I don't have a problem with what happened there. Besides, he said sorry after. 

this is about the funniest thing i've read in along time.

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think his story is BS. He got clobbered, wanted a penalty call, didn't get one, skated to the bench, and cleaned out the linesman on his way there with a crosscheck. Then he kept on skating while the linesman was laying down on the ice.

If it's me running the show, Wideman would be suspended for the remainder of the season.  That is the most blatant "abuse of official" in NHL history. 

I started to type I agree, but no. You are simply right. He should be out, at minimum, the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

The linesman is backing up into him. They do sorta collide because of that, all of a sudden, no? 

Wideman does what he has done a million times from instinct: he puts his arms up. His stick is in his hands, because hockey players carry sticks. And wham he hits him. 

I must really hate refs (I do), 'cause I don't have a problem with what happened there. Besides, he said sorry after. 

You need to stop having opinions  – you're really bad at it.

19 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

You need to stop having opinions  – you're really bad at it.

LMFAO! That's going in my sig. line pronto. Brilliant. Which for you, is pretty good. Keep it up!

3 minutes ago, blocker said:

I think the cross-check was obvious.  But, I agree with Podein that Wideman might not have realized it was an official.  (Or not cared).

Yeah, so a "hockey play" in other words :biggrin:

26 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, so a "hockey play" in other words :biggrin:

Like "I'm gonna drill somebody"?

Been there, done that.  Just as everyone here.  

Wonder what he was thinking on the bench.

Oh s##t, did I really just pound a linesman?  If I sit here quietly, will it all go away?  If I say I'm sorry, will that help?  I'll apologize to the guy and see if that will help.  Oh god, they''ve stuck a microphone in my face.  I'll lie.  I'll say "I didn't see the guy".  Yeah, that's the ticket.  That's what I'll say.

1 hour ago, blocker said:

Like "I'm gonna drill somebody"?

Been there, done that.  Just as everyone here.  

Wonder what he was thinking on the bench.

Oh s##t, did I really just pound a linesman?  If I sit here quietly, will it all go away?  If I say I'm sorry, will that help?  I'll apologize to the guy and see if that will help.  Oh god, they''ve stuck a microphone in my face.  I'll lie.  I'll say "I didn't see the guy".  Yeah, that's the ticket.  That's what I'll say.

Sometimes I wish I could be one of the post-game interviewers because I wouldn't be able to contain myself. I'd HAVE to ask the questions that everyone wants to know, but everyone is too polite to ask. I'd also burst out laughing if the player gave a BS response like Wideman did. :biggrin:

ie:

ME (as interviewer): "So your head was up for about five seconds before the hit, but you didn't see the linesman? Have you had your eyes checked recently or is that just the biggest BS response of all time?"

Wideman: (Oh crap. He's not a sheep like the other reporters. Run away!)

ME (as interviewer): "Maybe you can explain why you kept skating to your bench after hitting the linesman? I would think a concerned hockey player would have stopped to assist or at least paused to acknowledge the mistake?"

Wideman: (Tough questions. Can't answer. Run away!)

29 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Sometimes I wish I could be one of the post-game interviewers because I wouldn't be able to contain myself. I'd HAVE to ask the questions that everyone wants to know, but everyone is too polite to ask. I'd also burst out laughing if the player gave a BS response like Wideman did. :biggrin:

ie:

ME (as interviewer): "So your head was up for about five seconds before the hit, but you didn't see the linesman? Have you had your eyes checked recently or is that just the biggest BS response of all time?"

Wideman: (Oh crap. He's not a sheep like the other reporters. Run away!)

ME (as interviewer): "Maybe you can explain why you kept skating to your bench after hitting the linesman? I would think a concerned hockey player would have stopped to assist or at least paused to acknowledge the mistake?"

Wideman: (Tough questions. Can't answer. Run away!)

Hmm...well, in theory, your approach would be sound...however, if he is already in trouble for cross checking a league official, would it REALLY be that much more trouble to 'accidentally' slip on the ice and fall towards and top of a wise cracking reporter? :cool[1]:

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...well, in theory, your approach would be sound...however, if he is already in trouble for cross checking a league official, would it REALLY be that much more trouble to 'accidentally' slip on the ice and fall towards and top of a wise cracking reporter? :cool[1]:

True. :ermm: I guess a neat way around that would be to hire someone of considerable physical stature to do the interviewing. Or hire someone with a fight background like boxing or MMA. That way the athlete being interviewed will know that they don't want any of that and their only option would be to walk away if the questions irk them. :ahappy:

I'd just like to see an interviewer that asks the tough questions. Most of them are hired by the team (or the network that owns the team), and they have to give the players "softball" questions all the time or be fired. 

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

20 Games per teh Twitters.

yup..it is up on the ESPN website.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14705594/dennis-wideman-calgary-flames-banned-20-games-ref-hit

I initially said 15 games.  He claims it was an accident.  I'm not buying it.  He knew what he was doing the moment he raised his stick up.  Video does not lie.

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

yup..it is up on the ESPN website.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14705594/dennis-wideman-calgary-flames-banned-20-games-ref-hit

I initially said 15 games.  He claims it was an accident.  I'm not buying it.  He knew what he was doing the moment he raised his stick up.  Video does not lie.

I said 20 games right after because Tom Lyskiak of the Hawks got 20 games 30 years ago for deliberately tripping a ref with his stick, well deserved and a precedent set. The on ice officials take entirely too much gruff as it is, when you get physical it crosses not only a line, but a mountain. No excuse, Wideman deserves every minute he gets and the league absolutely got it right.

On 1/29/2016 at 11:50 AM, Podein25 said:

I must really hate refs (I do), 'cause I don't have a problem with what happened there.

I can really get on board with this but with that being said, the NHL had no choice but to protect the officials. I just wish it would have been Ghislain Hebert that was on the receiving end.

The NHLPA is appealing Wideman’s ban.

From a union release:

“We strongly disagree with the League’s decision to suspend Dennis Wideman.  Dennis has played in 11 NHL seasons and almost 800 games without incident. 

“The facts, including the medical evidence presented at the hearing, clearly demonstrate that Dennis had no intention to make contact with the linesman. 

“An appeal has been filed on the player’s behalf.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/nhlpa-strongly-disagrees-with-wideman-suspension-will-appeal/

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

“The facts, including the medical evidence presented at the hearing, clearly demonstrate that Dennis had no intention to make contact with the linesman.

That is absurd.  Are they not watching the same video we are, or are they too busy drinking their favorite malted beverage of choice.:ermm:  Seriously...Wideman has his stick down the entire time he is skating up ice...UNTIL he approaches the linesman.  Then miraculously, as if he had a sudden muscle twitch, the stick comes up and he levels the ref.  I get the NHLPA wants to protect their players from unjust rulings, but good god, this is a blatant as they come.  Wideman could have made a better argument had his stick been down the entire time, but the fact of the matter is that his stick comes up and levels the ref in the freakin shoulder!  The video does NOT dispute this.  Wideman should just take his punishment like a man.  The NHLPA is full of crap on this one.:thumbsd:

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

That is absurd.  Are they not watching the same video we are, or are they too busy drinking their favorite malted beverage of choice.:ermm:  Seriously...Wideman has his stick down the entire time he is skating up ice...UNTIL he approaches the linesman.  Then miraculously, as if he had a sudden muscle twitch, the stick comes up and he levels the ref.  I get the NHLPA wants to product their players from unjust rulings, but good god, this is a blatant as they come.  Wideman could have made a better argument had his stick been down the entire time, but the fact of the matter is that his stick comes up and levels the ref in the freakin shoulder!  The video does NOT dispute this.  Wideman should just take his punishment like a man.  The NHLPA is full of crap on this one.:thumbsd:

If the NHLPA is going to get every suspension cut in half by an arbitrator, I would start handing out suspensions 2x the desired length in order to achieve the intended result. 

OR

I'd say the player is "suspended indefinitely" and can "apply for re-instatement in the NHL after the season has concluded".  

The NHLPA truly is full of crap. They always protect the players that give the game a black eye.  :(

On 2/4/2016 at 0:26 AM, MadDevil said:

To be fair though, isn't it kind of the NHLPA's job to protect the players?

It is, but I still think they help with the black eye scenario. I haven't felt that they or the league either one have negotiated in good faith in many years.

As for the Wideman situation, I have no problem with the length of the suspension. He should get a lengthy ban, and I hope it doesn't get reduced at all. There's no room for that garbage. Keep in mind, the Flames are my team in the Western Conference.

On 2/4/2016 at 1:26 AM, MadDevil said:

To be fair though, isn't it kind of the NHLPA's job to protect the players?

Yes. 1000%. My beef is that there are many unjust rulings by the Discipline Czar that don't seem to draw attention. For most Grievances (and this is what they are filing) go in front of an elected board of representatives(players peers) to decide if they have enough evidence to change the ruling. In this case, the video evidence was pretty damning and I would be hard pressed as a board member to go forward with this grievance. Extenuating circumstances are weighed in an investigation of the incident so I am guessing they are using the "concussion" he received as evidence to challenge.. You have to have a majority vote in order to pursue action. The team's medical staff suddenly becomes a target of yet another investigation for not correctly performing their job and in this case, that is well deserved

Personally, you do the crime, you do the time. I think 20 games is a reasonable suspension for someone who just tried to break an official's neck but that is just me.

The damning thing for me is how many strides he takes before impact. To me, he put his head up, recognized his target and delivered the blow. I thought he should have got an entire year ban. The linesman still has concussion issues, has not worked since. These guys make squat compared to the players. If they don't crack down on this, it makes the sport to dangerous for the zebras. They have families to support, intentionally target them (like this) and you should get a one year ban followed by a lifetime ban.

Archived