Did Wideman just Cross Check Linesman Don Henderson?

hf101

How many Games for Dennis Wideman?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What suspension will the League Hand out to Dennis Wideman?

• No Suspension - 100% Accidental
    • 1-2 Games
    • 3-5 Games
    • More than 5 Games

12 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The damning thing for me is how many strides he takes before impact. To me, he put his head up, recognized his target and delivered the blow. I thought he should have got an entire year ban. The linesman still has concussion issues, has not worked since. These guys make squat compared to the players. If they don't crack down on this, it makes the sport to dangerous for the zebras. They have families to support, intentionally target them (like this) and you should get a one year ban followed by a lifetime ban.

Devil's advocate here, If the official had made the first boarding call on the guy who drilled him, this play never happens. :ermm:  I think that might be part of the reason it was only 20 games and not the rest of the season.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, officials miss calls all the time, still does not forgive the act of knocking a non player into next week in my books. Wonder if there was one particular play in that game that made Wideman want to exact revenge....or maybe a long term beef pushed him past the breaking point. Either way, unforgivable in my books. Strap on a team jersey and take your life in your hands, strap on a zebra suit and get hurt by anything except for incidental contact and that is just plain bad for the game. I'd like to think if somebody intentionally knocked Ed Hoculi (a well known NFL ref) into next week, they would be gone minimum for a year, maybe more. The NHL missed a real chance to make an example of Wideman and thus set a very strong deterrent to this kinda crap.

On 2/3/2016 at 3:27 PM, yave1964 said:
On 2/4/2016 at 7:09 PM, hf101 said:

The NHLPA is appealing Wideman’s ban.

From a union release:

“We strongly disagree with the League’s decision to suspend Dennis Wideman.  Dennis has played in 11 NHL seasons and almost 800 games without incident. 

“The facts, including the medical evidence presented at the hearing, clearly demonstrate that Dennis had no intention to make contact with the linesman. 

“An appeal has been filed on the player’s behalf.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/nhlpa-strongly-disagrees-with-wideman-suspension-will-appeal/

**** like that is why I don't like unions. They don't care about fair treatment, they just blindly defend their members.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:17 PM, jammer2 said:

The damning thing for me is how many strides he takes before impact. To me, he put his head up, recognized his target and delivered the blow. I thought he should have got an entire year ban. The linesman still has concussion issues, has not worked since. These guys make squat compared to the players. If they don't crack down on this, it makes the sport to dangerous for the zebras. They have families to support, intentionally target them (like this) and you should get a one year ban followed by a lifetime ban.

you are the only one in this conversation who 100% gets it. This is outside the game - particularly because who would happen to. This isn't a penalty, it's assault.

9 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

you are the only one in this conversation who 100% gets it. This is outside the game - particularly because who would happen to. This isn't a penalty, it's assault.

Yep, and like I said, these officials signed up for nothing more than incidental contact,,,,maybe the odd shot when trying to break up a fight....but this, this is total crap.

I believe Wideman will not be charged, but it was indeed criminal in my eyes. Just watch, if this lineman has to retire with concussion problems, Wideman will be civilally responsible and could get tagged for millions in a lawsuit that will not be hard to prove.

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Yep, and like I said, these officials signed up for nothing more than incidental contact,,,,maybe the odd shot when trying to break up a fight....but this, this is total crap.

I believe Wideman will not be charged, but it was indeed criminal in my eyes. Just watch, if this lineman has to retire with concussion problems, Wideman will be civilally responsible and could get tagged for millions in a lawsuit that will not be hard to prove.

It would be interesting to have an attorney - maybe even a former prosecutor - on hand when determining "intent."

Instead of just a bunch of "hockey guys"

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

It would be interesting to have an attorney - maybe even a former prosecutor - on hand when determining "intent."

Instead of just a bunch of "hockey guys"

Why in the name of all that is hockey would you want to drag an attorney into this!?!?!?! Do you think you can find someone else out there who is a little more in touch with reality, say Alan Vigneault..... :ph34r:

37 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Why in the name of all that is hockey would you want to drag an attorney into this!?!?!?! Do you think you can find someone else out there who is a little more in touch with reality, say Alan Vigneault..... :ph34r:

I don't necessarily WANT to do that, but I think it would be an interesting perspective in terms of determining "intent" and given the conversation in thread about the various potential civil and/or legal liabilities involved.

That said, Gary Bettman is a lawyer...

Henry VI, Part 2 4:2 77

:hyper:

4 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I think I would be kicking a teammate's ass that forwarded a private text message..........

I don't think it was the teammate, I think the league subpoenaed his phone info.

Imagine if it was Gudas instead of Wideman on this hit?!?!......The ref would have sold it MUCH better!

But in all seriousness, what in holy hell was Wideman thinking! The ONLY excuse I'll buy is that he was "woozy" after a big hit and thought it was a preds player. Because that was a deliberate and blatant cross check. He had PLENTY of time to see that ref "in his way".....NHLPA is an absolute JOKE in trying to defend that kind of behavior.

• 4 weeks later...

Who is this arbitrator? Is he familiar at all with hockey?

The guy already missed 19 games! What the hell is the point of reducing the supension to 10 games? Yah, I understand the money part but shouldn't this decision have been made a month ago? Unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived