Jonas Gustavsson leaves game with heart scare

yave1964

Jonas Gustavsson: Signed by Bruins - Too Many Men on the Site -One of the leagues best backup goalies, Jonas Gustavsson drew the start the other night against the Ducks and was forced to leave the game after the first period and was hospitalized with an elevated heart rate.

“He was taken to Mass General Hospital and remained there overnight for testing,” the Bruins said in a statement Wednesday night. “All preliminary tests came back negative and he was discharged Wednesday afternoon. Jonas is expected to rejoin the team after the NHL All-Star Break pending clearance from the Bruins medical staff.”

He has a long history of heart issues dating back to when the leafs first brought him over from Sweden, he was pulled from an AHL all star game in 2011 for the same thing. in total, from 2010 through 2011 he had three minor heart surgeries which was ablation procedures which have supposedly taken care of the problem. As a person who has had a total of four heart surgeries in seven years now, I always root for him. His recovery and ability to play after three heart surgeries earned him the Masterton rophy in 2010.

As an aside, do you know what they consider minor heart surgery? It is surgery they do to someone else.

Rooting for a full recovery for the Monster. Hoping this is a blip on the radar and simply the Bruins medical staff erring on the side of caution with him and not a sign of future problems. He will continue to be a favorite of mine.

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

As an aside, do you know what they consider minor heart surgery? 

Anything that does not require opening the chest cavity.

27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Ablation? So some sort of arythmia or SVT type situation? 

Yes, an arrhythmia.  The doctor usually feeds a catheter into a large vein (in the groin or arm) and snakes it into the heart.  Once they identify the area of the heart that is causing the irregular heartbeat, they zap it with radio waves to kill the cells that are causing the problem.

15 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Anything that does not require opening the chest cavity.

Yes, an arrhythmia.  The doctor usually feeds a catheter into a large vein (in the groin or arm) and snakes it into the heart.  Once they identify the area of the heart that is causing the irregular heartbeat, they zap it with radio waves to kill the cells that are causing the problem.

Sadly, I know this all too well, AFF.  My daughter when she was 5.   Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome misdiagnosed as SVT.  We went to Boston to have it done as, at the time, the procedure was very new for children that small and the surgeon (Dr. Edward Walsh) at Boston Children's was kind of the pioneer.   As soon as I saw ablation I figured it was something along those lines, like a Rich Peverley-type thing that didn't quite get ugly on the bench.

47 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Wow.  That is a very rare disorder.  I hope everything turned out OK.

Gustavsson obviously did the right thing by alerting the medical staff.  Hope he can recover and make it back.

Yeah  All good.  15 years free and clear.  But I still remember that period like it was yesterday.  

Archived