Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

Back to the reason i brought up Ekblad in the 1st place. Dude is a good defenseman and will only get better in time.

But to compare his stats to when he won it to Ghost's....

Ekblad: gp 78 gls 15 ast 21 pts 36 +18 gwg 4

Ghost:gp 64 gls 17 ast 29 pts 46 +8 gwg 5

That is pretty impressive i think. One is 6-4 216 the other is 5-10 185. So that was the reason for my comparison.

Ghost numbers even are better than Ekblad's in his 2nd season. It would have been interesting if they were competing against each other in the same year for it.

And i'm not saying Ghost is better than Ekblad just using him as a current benchmark.

So i think/hope Ghost has done enough to earn the same recognition. But i know folks will go back to the age difference between the two....again.

One time they'll applaud him because he's so young...the next it's his crutch...any how...

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Back to the reason i brought up Ekblad in the 1st place. Dude is a good defenseman and will only get better in time.

But to compare his stats to when he won it to Ghost's....

Ekblad: gp 78 gls 15 ast 21 pts 36 +18 gwg 4

Ghost:gp 64 gls 17 ast 29 pts 46 +8 gwg 5

That is pretty impressive i think. One is 6-4 216 the other is 5-10 185. So that was the reason for my comparison.

Ghost numbers even are better than Ekblad's in his 2nd season. It would have been interesting if they were competing against each other in the same year for it.

And i'm not saying Ghost is better than Ekblad just using him as a current benchmark.

So i think/hope Ghost has done enough to earn the same recognition. But i know folks will go back to the age difference between the two....again.

One time they'll applaud him because he's so young...the next it's his crutch...any how...

Ghost has been superbly impressive for the Flyers and our first glimpse of what's going to be an incredibly mobile defence...which is huge in this NHL. I'm not knocking Ghost...I own a Ghost shirt and wear it proudly.

But like Panarin, I just think comparing what one guys doing and what another did when he was FIVE years younger is kind of silly. I mean picture Ekblad at 23...he 's barely 20 and looks like a grizzled vet back there. He had every bit as big of an impact on an inept Panthers franchise as Ghost has had ...only when he was 18. I doubt many though Gostisbehere was even going to actually make the NHL when we picked him at 18. 

(I may be slightly biased as a Barrie Colt fan)

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

But like Panarin, I just think comparing what one guys doing and what another did when he was FIVE years younger is kind of silly.

You mean the guy who is a year and a half older than Ghost??? :ph34r:

So let's give it to Mcdavid since he is the youngest....right.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You mean the guy who is a year and a half older than Ghost??? :ph34r:

So let's give it to Mcdavid since he is the youngest....right.

Panarins been a pro for 6 years...rookie my ass.

McDavid IS the best rookie in the NHL...period.

• 3 months later...

Here’s NHL Network’s Top 20 list:

1. Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings

2. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators

3. Brent Burns, San Jose Sharks

4. Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks

5. Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning

6. Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins

7. Roman Josi, Nashville Predators

8. P.K. Subban, Nashville Predators

9. Shea Weber, Montreal Canadiens

10. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes

11. Ryan Suter, Minnesota Wild

12. Dustin Byfuglien, Winnipeg Jets

13. Brent Seabrook, Chicago Blackhawks

14. John Klingberg, Dallas Stars

15. Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers

16. Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues

17. Ryan McDonagh, New York Rangers

18. Shayne Gostisbehere, Philadelphia Flyers

19. John Carlson, Washington Capitals

20. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, San Jose Sharks

18. Shayne Gostisbehere, Philadelphia Flyers

Gostisbehere, 23, had a huge impact on the Flyers after being recalled from Lehigh Valley of the American Hockey League on Nov. 14. The Calder Trophy finalist finished fifth among rookies in points (46), second in power-play points (22) and tied for second in game-winning goals (five), and was tied for second among all players with four overtime goals. He also set a League record for rookie defensemen with a point in 15 straight games. Gostisbehere finished fifth on the Flyers in scoring despite playing 64 games, and was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team.

https://www.nhl.com/news/drew-doughty-nhl-network-top-defenseman/c-281334346

Hey look Rick what the NHLnetwork guys said about Ghost.......Norris here we come!!!!!!!!! :hocky:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived