Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

Just remember if you do miss the playoffs you're eligible for those top 3 picks. What, it could happen. :drool:

Tufte plays in an inferior league and has 6 g 2 a ?!?! Can't say i've seen him play and he sure sounds like a great prospect (big fast talented) but what's with those stats? Shouldn't a guy that good be lighting that league up? 

It's tough to say who I want (Dubois) at this point because we don't know where we're drafting yet. If they held it today I think I'd lean towards Rubtsov/Bellows/Jost(another guy playing in an inferior league...104 pts)

But I'm still hoping for a top ten pick. 

Ya....I know.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Just remember if you do miss the playoffs you're eligible for those top 3 picks. What, it could happen. :drool:

Tufte plays in an inferior league and has 6 g 2 a ?!?! Can't say i've seen him play and he sure sounds like a great prospect (big fast talented) but what's with those stats? Shouldn't a guy that good be lighting that league up? 

It's tough to say who I want (Dubois) at this point because we don't know where we're drafting yet. If they held it today I think I'd lean towards Rubtsov/Bellows/Jost(another guy playing in an inferior league...104 pts)

But I'm still hoping for a top ten pick. 

Ya....I know.

Yeah not sure about his numbers either not to impressive. But from the mock i've seen the Flyers take Tufte and then Max Jones goes next pick to the Wings....no way i'd take him over Jones.

Some of the guys you mentioned are already off the board.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

Bellows is still on.

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This kid will be really good once they find him a solid defensive partner who can cover his back when he creeps up in the play....that guy isn't on the roster yet.

He's already really good. But it'll be great when we have that missing ingredient...fortunately it's already in the pipeline.

Don't think it's any coincidence that Ghost's point production dropped since being paired with MacDonald.  That, and opposing teams really being aggressive with Giroux and Ghost on the PP.

WOW....not every day you see a play like this. Dare I say, Ghost is one of the only humans alive that would have kept this puck in the zone. First, amazing reaction and legit all out speed to get to the puck....and to use his head, on purpose to prevent the puck from going down the ice.....just friggin incredible. Simply amazing...

https://twitter.com/SonsofPenn/status/712458688188063744/photo/1

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

WOW....not every day you see a play like this. Dare I say, Ghost is one of the only humans alive that would have kept this puck in the zone. First, amazing reaction and legit all out speed to get to the puck....and to use his head, on purpose to prevent the puck from going down the ice.....just friggin incredible. Simply amazing...

https://twitter.com/SonsofPenn/status/712458688188063744/photo/1

Yes they need to get him away from Mcdud he has stomped out his creative skill/magic as a partner try someone else to rekindle it i don't care who hell spin the bottle to decide but get him the f**k away from Mcdud!!!!

21 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Don't think it's any coincidence that Ghost's point production dropped since being paired with MacDonald.  That, and opposing teams really being aggressive with Giroux and Ghost on the PP.

I do believe that 11-24...

I also believe most teams are keying into him on the PP as well and they also have done a good job at taking away his shooting lanes.  Like in baseball - the league will figure him out eventually and he will have to make adjustments...   I hate McDud but it is not all on him.

30 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I also believe most teams are keying into him on the PP as well and they also have done a good job at taking away his shooting lanes.  Like in baseball - the league will figure him out eventually and he will have to make adjustments...   I hate McDud but it is not all on him.

Yeah, it's normal. You could see players on the PK choosing to cheat toward him, mindful of the shot mainly. But also, the guy is slippery and has some very soft feet. You have to be close to him all the time, it's the only sure way.

I think this is where we see how good Hakstol is.  Opposing teams are now defending the Flyers PP by being very aggressive up high, that is on both half-walls and the blueline.  The 1st PP unit tries running the puck through Giroux on the half wall or Ghost at the point, which is why they're being unsuccessful.  Teams are gearing to defend that.  The 2nd PP unit has been successful because they are working the down low cycle looking for that back door pass on the post or the "dirty" in front of the net rebound.  In essence, they're taking advantage of the opposing PK being aggressive up top by working the puck down low.

Hakstol needs to adjust the focus on the 1st PP unit so that every play isn't run through Giroux, Ghost or even Voracek on the other side.  Work it down low more, like the 2nd PP unit, and that will open up the top for Ghost/Giroux.

2 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Hakstol needs to adjust the focus on the 1st PP unit so that every play isn't run through Giroux, Ghost or even Voracek on the other side.  Work it down low more, like the 2nd PP unit, and that will open up the top for Ghost/Giroux

I might take Ghost off the 1st unit and put him on the 2nd. Just to keep teams guessing. Mix it up a bit

23 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, it's normal. You could see players on the PK choosing to cheat toward him, mindful of the shot mainly. But also, the guy is slippery and has some very soft feet. You have to be close to him all the time, it's the only sure way.

"slippery" is the best description... I say it at least 3 or 4 times a game to little murray...

Why Shayne Gostisbehere is a Masterton Trophy nominee

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2016/03/28/why-shayne-gostisbehere-phwa-nhl-bill-masterton-memorial-trophy-nominee/82331656/

The South Florida native’s legend grew when he won a national championship in 2014 with the Dutchmen, beating the Minnesota Golden Gophers 7-4 in a game at Wells Fargo Center in which he was a near-impossible plus-7 ---

I'll never forget that game single handedly the best performance i have ever seen at the college level from any player....right then i thought man if he can ever get to this level even remotely in the NHL the Flyers have a star on their hands for many years!

And to have the year he has had after coming off a major injury like that just impressive as hell.

How many other Calder candidates he is competing against were out all last year with a blown out knee??? NONE!

Time to add some more wicked video....this instinctual dive at the puck,(which required outstanding eye hand coordination I might add) that lead to a Giroux OT goal, allowed the Flyers to stay in a tie with the Wings for last playoff spot....huge play at a huge time....again.

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-defeat-jets-in-overtime/c-279963106

Telling... Ghost basically took the Flyers from a lottery team to a team on the cusp of the playoffs....

Mcdavid

With him in the lineup, the Oilers are 17-22-2 for a .439 points percentage, compared to 13-19-5 (.419) without him. With or without McDavid, the Oilers are a lottery team.

MY VOTE…
Is going to go to Gostisbehere, simply because of his impact on the team. Without him, the Flyers are a non-playoff team with a below-average power play. With him, they’re on the cusp of making the playoffs and are far more dangerous both on the power play and in overtime.That, for me, separates him from the rest of the field.

When Ghost made that deke move at the blueline and then rang it off the post with around 5min left vs Winnipeg last night, you could see the confidence in him.  Just after that, on the same shift, Ghost was carrying the puck through the neutral zone aggressively attempting to deke the opposing defenders.  It wasn't a mark of a new-to-the-NHL kid.  It was confidence.

Which is why it surprised me that Hakstol didn't get him right back out out on the ice.  Surprised me even more when during the matching minors were handed out and teams were skating 4v4, Ghost wasn't on the ice until the waning seconds.  Shocked me when at the start of OT Ghost was on the bench.

I know Hakstol is picking and choosing when to put Ghost out there based on his defensive coverage, but come crunch time I want the kid who every point is seemingly a game breaker to be out on the ice.  ESPECIALLY when there is more open ice to play with.

I was sitting with my 13 year old son at the game last night, and 2x in the final few minutes and then in the OT Ghost started carrying the puck up ice, another 2x Giroux carried with Ghost racing up the ice.  Each time the crowd started to stand before the play even got across the red line.  I turned to my son and said "the last time I saw fans get out of their seats when someone picked the puck up in the defensive end was Eric Lindros".

That is the excitement this kid brings, especially when the game is on the line.  

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Each time the crowd started to stand before the play even got across the red line.

Yeah you could hear it. He does a lot of little head fakes and feints that have opponents biting hard.

He's quite simply electric.

Archived