Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

On 3/20/2016 at 8:13 AM, flyercanuck said:
5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Telling... Ghost basically took the Flyers from a lottery team to a team on the cusp of the playoffs....

Mcdavid

With him in the lineup, the Oilers are 17-22-2 for a .439 points percentage, compared to 13-19-5 (.419) without him. With or without McDavid, the Oilers are a lottery team.

MY VOTE…
Is going to go to Gostisbehere, simply because of his impact on the team. Without him, the Flyers are a non-playoff team with a below-average power play. With him, they’re on the cusp of making the playoffs and are far more dangerous both on the power play and in overtime.That, for me, separates him from the rest of the field.

My vote goes to Ghost too.  McDavid is coming on strong and in comparison to Eichel and Larkin and Domi, I think he'd win based on his absence. 

But McDavid's scoring success hasn't been as much of a benefit to his team as you point out.  

It's hard to say that with Panarin though because his team is a 3 time champ.  Are they first because he's so awesome or just because they're awesome? 

For me I think he's a drop of pretty good in a bucket of already awesome.

Which leads me to Ghost.  Who pretty much single handedly turned this team around and continues to make dazzling and consequential plays (not just goals).  He wins games and makes things happen.  

It's not just his scoring and his improving defensive play that make him the winner for me, it's how CONSEQUENTIAL his play is.  He's tied for 2nd in Game Winners (just one behind Panarin) and blows every other rookie away in OT goals.    But besides that, plays like the steal and the pass for the Game winner last night and the keep at the blue line that almost resulted in a goal for Simmer last week...  this aren't just flashy plays, they show an awareness and ability to capitalize that are extremely rare in this league. 

The kid doesn't just look like a skilled or talented scorer or a really impressive 2 way D man.  He continues to look like an absolute game changer every night.  He's playing like the kind of guy that kids now will stare at and try to play like for the next 10 years until the game literally changes around him because of what he's introduced to it.  

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Yes they need to get him away from Mcdud he has stomped out his creative skill/magic as a partner try someone else to rekindle it i don't care who hell spin the bottle to decide but get him the f**k away from Mcdud!!!!

Yes!  Put him with...  with...  Manning!  No wait.  Schultz!   Sorry hang on... I'll think of someone...  Wait... who should they put him with that won't stomp out his skill/creative magic?  

Next year it could be Provo or Sanheim.  Morin is probably two years away due to contracts of others and his development curve, and I'm not sure he's fast enough to be the partner Ghost would most benefit from (but he could help counterbalance ghost's smaller stature).   The other two will be making a huge push to be with the big club next fall.  

Let hext resign Radko, let Medvedev go and maybe use Manning as a trade chip and there's plenty of room for Provo and Sanheim.  2 rookies plus ghost  on D will scare the crap out of any seasoned hockey fan, but I believe with Streit's contract coming to a close, they will need to start grooming these kids for the big time now.  And Ghost (and the likes of Ekblad) has shown us that it's not all hell fire and damnation when you insert a talented kid into the lineup.  

Whoever it is, they'll need to be able to skate fairly well and slide around to help cover for him.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Yes!  Put him with...  with...  Manning!  No wait.  Schultz!   Sorry hang on... I'll think of someone...  Wait... who should they put him with that won't stomp out his skill/creative magic?

Put him with Gudas!! 

dick-punch.gif

It can't hurt!

On March 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM, King Knut said:

He's playing like the kind of guy that kids now will stare at and try to play like for the next 10 years until the game literally changes around him because of what he's introduced to it.  

Funny you say that, because I coach my son's hockey team (13-14 year olds) and he plays D.  He never would make that left / right feint with the puck at the blueline before but now it's one of the things he practices all the time.  Same with some of the other kids.

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Funny you say that, because I coach my son's hockey team (13-14 year olds) and he plays D.  He never would make that left / right feint with the puck at the blueline before but now it's one of the things he practices all the time.  Same with some of the other kids.

It happens in most sports I think.  Kids look up to these players and learn how to play the game watching them as much as actually playing the game.

When I was a kid, I saw Denis Savard do a 360 move on a breakaway for a goal that I tried to reproduce every chance I could.  Somehow I never had his skill ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Calder or not this kid was straight nuclear propulsion for this blueline and team towards the playoffs...and we've only scratched the surface of what will be seeing from him...

...buckle up and just enjoy this playoff ride everything from here on out is just icing on the cake....

....1st round David versus Goliath!!!

Raise your hand if you thought before the season started you knew Ghost would score 5 6 more goals than Jake on the season????

Or that 4th liner Ryan White would score as many as Jake. :ph34r:

Not i................:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing I've seen from this playoff is the fact that as small as Ghost is, he's been able to play against a pretty physical Washington team without getting hurt or looking worried about getting hit. It's one thing to be small as a forward. Once he gets some help back there it's going to be fun to watch.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The best thing I've seen from this playoff is the fact that as small as Ghost is, he's been able to play against a pretty physical Washington team without getting hurt or looking worried about getting hit. It's one thing to be small as a forward. Once he gets some help back there it's going to be fun to watch.

Dude is pretty damn shifty and love that fake out with the puck it gets em every time!!!

ghostsim.gif

ghostsex.gif

ghost.0.gif

ghostfriendly.gif

Ghost-deek.gif

ghostsex2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article by Sam Carchidi indicating that he is likely to be named as a finalist tonight for the Calder.  The problem I have is he does not indicate the source or why he thinks this.  Also I don't a similar story anywhere else so for what it is worth....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-Ghost-should-be-named-Calder-finalist-tonight-.html

I doubt he gets it but what the heck.  His play energized the team and his future is bright.  He is one of the primary reasons for being optimistic about the Flyers' future.

Archived