Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And even better when Philly can roll out him, Provorov and Sanheim. 

We might see the first pp ever with 3 defencemen on it!   :drool::hyper::lol:

And they have 2 stay at home types coming to possibly play with them in the pipeline....Morin and Reece Willcox (6-4 right hand shot) who will be with the Phantoms next year. Then if Meyers ever pans out another right hand shot so they have reinforcements coming....soon. So the blueline will be chocked with size and more importantly mobility and skill.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Jones/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Dubois/Simmonds

Aube-Kubel/Couturier/Konecny

Lindblom/Laughton/Leier 

even brighter...:lol:

Even the brightest!!!

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

7 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

Ghost pushes his point streak to 10 games, tying Renberg's team record for a rookie.  Chances are, he won't win ROY, but he continues to keep this team interesting and within reach for a playoff spot.

Ekblad won it off a 12 goal 39 point season...but he did it in 81 games...Tyler Meyers off a 11 goal 48 point season...but also played in every game too...to me so far with his size...Ghost is even more impressive...maybe i'm biased....

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ekblad won it off a 12 goal 39 point season...but he did it in 81 games...Tyler Meyers off a 11 goal 48 point season...but also played in every game too...to me so far with his size...Ghost is even more impressive...maybe i'm biased....

I hope you're right OR.  He deserves serious consideration, especially considering he is a defensemen and he has played far less games than the guys ahead of him and is within 10 points of them, with the exception on Panerin.

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ekblad is 10X better than Ghost defensively. Or 20. He's also helped the perennially terrible Panthers become the 2nd best team in the conference.

I agree that's it's amazing he can play D at that size. But that shouldn't come into account for a trophy. They don't say Ovechkin or Crosby is the most valuable player, but we're giving the Hart to Gallagher cause he's smaller.

11 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

Ghost pushes his point streak to 10 games, tying Renberg's team record for a rookie.  Chances are, he won't win ROY, but he continues to keep this team interesting and within reach for a playoff spot.

After hockey last night we're at the bar and I say "Now that Crosby got shutout last game, guess who has the longest points streak going in the NHL".

One guy looks at me and says "Not Ghost?" . I think I'm getting to them.

In other news RJ Umberger tied his season long point streak at one game.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ekblad is 10X better than Ghost defensively. Or 20. He's also helped the perennially terrible Panthers become the 2nd best team in the conference.

I agree that's it's amazing he can play D at that size. But that shouldn't come into account for a trophy. They don't say Ovechkin or Crosby is the most valuable player, but we're giving the Hart to Gallagher cause he's smaller.

You know, the other night I was leaving the local ice rink after practice and the game was on the TV in the lobby.  A parent of one of the kids I coach glances over and says "Ghost got another point tonight".  We then started talking about the kid, and how he has almost singlehandedly become the reason many are watching the Flyers again.  Just as we're saying that, Ghost makes a terrific defensive play by anticipating a pass, using his speed, and eliminating the chance the other way - all inside the other team's defensive zone.

So while a lot of people keep saying that Ghost is great, but he's not the best defensive player - I ask, what are we using to measure such effectiveness as a defenseman?  Is it because he's not the traditional definition of a d-man in being big, strong, and able to clear the front of the net?  This was the conversation at the rink in front of that TV.  Several others started chiming in, about the incredible anticipation Ghost has.  And more specifically, the speed at which he anticipates the play.  His read/react time is incredibly quick, and when matched with his physical quickness, his best defensive attribute is often the ability to simply keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Perhaps that's why he's a +4 on a team that is an overall -14.  He has 16 points on the power play, third on the team behind Giroux, 19; and Voracek, 18.  If you include the power play points, he's a +20.  By comparison, Giroux is a -8.  Include G's PPP and he's a +11.  MDZ, -8.

Point is, I think all of this talk is nonsense with his defensive weakness.  Especially this early into his NHL career.  

ROY nominee.  Has to be.

@eleven24

Ghost does anticipate some plays well defensively. And he's a hell of a lot better than i thought he'd be in his own end, given his size.

But the difference between him and Ekblad is pretty obvious IMO. Game 7 Stanley Cup final, you're up by a goal with a minute left...who do you want out there, Ghost or Ekblad? Cause what Ghost has for smarts, Ekblad has in spades. Ditto for shot. Ghost has him in skating, but not by much. Ekblad has him in size by far.

As for Calder consideration, I'd say he deserves it. I just don't see him winning because he didn't play near as many games.....so far.

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Comparing Ekblad to Ghost is not even fair. Ekblad already has an argument as the superior player being 2 years younger. By the time Ekblad is 22 he will be contending for the Norris trophy. I would bet on it...

1 hour ago, JagerMeister said:

Comparing Ekblad to Ghost is not even fair. Ekblad already has an argument as the superior player being 2 years younger. By the time Ekblad is 22 he will be contending for the Norris trophy. I would bet on it...

I agree. And I didn't bring up Ekblad. 

Ghost has been great for the Flyers, and proof that picks after the 1st round hold value. You may not hit on them often, but when you do its a lot better than throwing them away on rentals.

So you re do that 2012 draft and i think he is better than almost every Dman in that 1st round.

Player Nationality NHL Team College/Junior/Club Team
1 Nail Yakupov (RW) 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia Edmonton Oilers Sarnia Sting (OHL)
2 Ryan Murray (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Columbus Blue Jackets Everett Silvertips (WHL)
3 Alex Galchenyuk (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Montreal Canadiens Sarnia Sting (OHL)
4 Griffin Reinhart (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada New York Islanders Edmonton Oil Kings(WHL)
5 Morgan Rielly (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Toronto Maple Leafs Moose Jaw Warriors(WHL)
6 Hampus Lindholm(D) 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Anaheim Ducks Rogle BK (Allsvenskan)
7 Mathew Dumba (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Minnesota Wild Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
8 Derrick Pouliot (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Pittsburgh Penguins (from Carolina)1 Portland Winterhawks(WHL)
9 Jacob Trouba (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Winnipeg Jets US NTDP (USHL)
10 Slater Koekkoek (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Tampa Bay Lightning Peterborough Petes(OHL)
11 Filip Forsberg (RW) 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden Washington Capitals (from Colorado)2 Leksands IF(Allsvenskan)
12 Mikhail Grigorenko(C) 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia Buffalo Sabres Quebec Remparts(QMJHL)
13 Radek Faksa (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic Dallas Stars Kitchener Rangers(OHL)
14 Zemgus Girgensons(C) 23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png Latvia Buffalo Sabres (from Calgary)3 Dubuque Fighting Saints(USHL)
15 Cody Ceci (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Ottawa Senators Ottawa 67's (OHL)
16 Tom Wilson (RW) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Washington Capitals Plymouth Whalers (OHL)
17 Tomas Hertl (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic San Jose Sharks Slavia Prague (ELH)
18 Teuvo Teravainen(RW) 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland Chicago Blackhawks Jokerit (SM-liiga)
19 Andrei Vasilevskiy(G) 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia Tampa Bay Lightning (from Detroit)4 Tolpar Ufa (MHL)
20 Scott Laughton (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Philadelphia Flyers Oshawa Generals (OHL)
21 Mark Jankowski (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Calgary Flames (from Nashville via Buffalo)5 Stanstead College (HS–Quebec)
22 Olli Maatta (D) 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland Pittsburgh Penguins London Knights (OHL)
23 Mike Matheson (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Florida Panthers Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
24 Malcolm Subban (G) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Boston Bruins Belleville Bulls (OHL)
25 Jordan Schmaltz (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States St. Louis Blues Green Bay Gamblers(USHL)
26 Brendan Gaunce (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Vancouver Canucks Belleville Bulls (OHL)
27 Henrik Samuelsson(C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Phoenix Coyotes Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
28 Brady Skjei (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States New York Rangers US NTDP (USHL)
29 Stefan Matteau (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States
New Jersey Devils US NTDP (USHL)
30 Tanner Pearson (LW) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Los Angeles Kings Barrie Colts (OHL)

Shows what a steal he was.

5 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

@OccamsRazorYup, intelligent decision making on the Philadelphia crew. Scout's did an exceptional job. I'd even say he is better than Zemgus and perhaps Filip Forsberg in terms of impact. You have a great player that will only begin improving.

Ghost for only 925K for this year and next is a blessing. Sure isn't a porch clearer but i think his defensive game is in a good place. Sure he still needs to grow but not many at 22 don't....but honestly i like his defensive game more than any other defenseman on the roster now....not a lot to really compare to but right now i'd take his game over even MDZ. Sky is the limit for this kid.

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Gostisbehere breaks the record for longest point streak by a rookie Dman  -11 games...not too bad for a kid who grew up in South Florida.  :P

Certainly improves the probability of him winning. The voters love stats like these.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:57 AM, Adamflyers said:

I hope you're right OR.  He deserves serious consideration, especially considering he is a defensemen and he has played far less games than the guys ahead of him and is within 10 points of them, with the exception on Panerin.

A good read....

In breaking records, Shayne Gostisbehere gains no ego

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2016/02/13/breaking-records-shayne-gostisbehere-gains-no-ego/80352090/

His 30 points this season in 36 games put him fifth among rookies in scoring. He isn’t the trendy pick to win the Calder Trophy as the league’s best rookie because Chicago’s Artemi Panarin has 52 points and Detroit’s Dylan Larkin, an All-Star, has 38 points and is a plus-25.

Then again, Florida defenseman Aaron Ekblad was eighth in rookie scoring last year with 38 points when he won the Calder and he played 81 games. The key for Gostisbehere, as it was for Ekblad, was the confidence he had in taking so much responsibility so soon for his team.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............:hyper:

On 2/7/2016 at 10:06 AM, flyercanuck said:

Jones/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Dubois/Simmonds

Aube-Kubel/Couturier/Konecny

Raffl/Laughton/White

even brighter...:lol:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

1 Columbus logo Columbus Auston Matthews RW Zurich (NLA) 6' 0" 198
2 Buffalo logo Buffalo Patrik Laine LW Tappara Tampere(SM-liiga) 6' 4" 210
3 Toronto logo Toronto Jesse Puljujärvi RW Kärpät (SM-liiga) 6' 2.75" 196
4 Edmonton logo Edmonton Matthew Tkachuk LW London (OHL) 5' 11.75" 188
5 Winnipeg logo Winnipeg Jacob Chychrun D Sarnia (OHL) 6' 2" 194
6 Calgary logo Calgary Alexander Nylander LW AIK (Allsvenskan) 5' 10.75" 160
7 Anaheim logo Anaheim Mikhail Sergachev D Windsor (OHL) 6' 2" 205
8 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Pierre-Luc Dubois C Cape Breton(QMJHL) 6' 1" 181
9 Arizona logo Arizona Jake Bean D Calgary Hitmen(WHL) 6' 0" 176
10 Carolina logo Carolina Dante Fabbro D Penticton (BCHL) 6' 0" 172
11 Ottawa logo Ottawa Julien Gauthier RW Val-d'Or (QMJHL) 6' 3" 220
12 Montreal logo Montreal Michael McLeod C Mississauga(OHL) 6' 0.75" 183
13 Nashville logo Nashville Olli Juolevi D London (OHL) 6' 2" 185
14 Toronto logo Toronto Trade Icon Tyson Jost C Penticton (BCHL) 5' 11.5" 190
15 Vancouver logo Vancouver Max Jones LW London (OHL) 6' 1.5" 180
16 Colorado logo Colorado Riley Tufte LW Fargo (USHL) 6' 4.75" 210
17 Boston logo Boston Trade Icon Vitali Abramov RW Gatineau(QMJHL) 5' 8" 154
18 New Jersey logo New Jersey Keiffer Bellows C Sioux Falls(USHL) 6' 0" 185
19 Boston logo Boston Logan Brown C Windsor (OHL) 6' 5" 215
20 NY Islanders logo NY Islanders Clayton Keller C US-Under-18(USAH-NTDP) 5' 9" 173
21 Minnesota logo Minnesota German Rubtsov C Vityaz Podolsk HC (Rus Jr) 6' 1" 174
22 Detroit logo Detroit Alex DeBrincat RW Erie (OHL) 5' 7" 160
23 Tampa Bay logo Tampa Bay Luke Kunin C Wisconsin 6' 0" 192
24 Arizona logo Arizona Trade Icon Carl Grundström LW Modo Hockey(SHL) 6' 0" 187
25 Florida logo Florida Brett Howden LW Moose Jaw (WHL) 6' 1" 191
26 Carolina logo Carolina Trade Icon Rasmus Asplund C Färjestad BK(Sweden) 5' 11" 176
27 St. Louis logo St. Louis Markus Niemeläinen D Saginaw (OHL) 6' 4" 190
28 Dallas logo Dallas Sam Steel C Regina (WHL) 5' 11" 165
29 Chicago logo Chicago Tyler Benson LW Vancouver (WHL) 5' 11" 185
30 Washington logo Washington Carter Hart G Everett (WHL) 6' 0" 165

Hey did you draw this up??? Someone is thinking your way....

Archived