Ghost as Rookie of the Year?

eleven24

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

MacDonald starts back-tracking on 50/50 pucks almost immediately.  Is it confidence ? He rarely pinches effectively when he is actually skating forward.

I think he is just slow

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think he is just slow

It's coaching and confidence.

For 2 years Chief would have been on his case to NEVER pinch in that situation.  Then he was demoted and told he wasn't good enough to be a professional hockey player.  

I'm pretty sure it's confidence.  

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's coaching and confidence.

For 2 years Chief would have been on his case to NEVER pinch in that situation.  Then he was demoted and told he wasn't good enough to be a professional hockey player.  

I'm pretty sure it's confidence.  

MacDonald is 30 years old.  I don't think a coach who is a year removed would still have an impact on his play.  I think it's just two different styles of D.  MacD is playing the more traditional defense.  Keep the opposing player to the outside, ride him into the wall.  Ghost cannot play that way because he's not big enough to ride someone out.  He has to engage quickly, use his speed, and strip the puck.  I think the difference here isn't the definition of one style being better than the other, rather one player being better than the other.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I think he is just slow

You beat me to it. Ghost can wheel, and in today's game the guy who can't is in trouble. Hell, Darnell Nurse did the fastest skater in 14 second at the Oilers skills competition... skating backwards. Defensemen who can't skate have to back off, especially the forwards have gotten faster and faster.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

in today's game the guy who can't is in trouble

Yes, it's really quite remarkable how the speed of the game has changed. The other factor is the speed of decision making. So I'd say dumb players, or at least ones that can't process or "think" the game fast enough, are also in trouble.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Yes, it's really quite remarkable how the speed of the game has changed. The other factor is the speed of decision making. So I'd say dumb players, or at least ones that can't process or "think" the game fast enough, are also in trouble.

Nail Yakupov

* Quick

* Elusive

* Canon shot

But, if you watch him, one thing is crystal clear: he doesn't really know how to play hockey, and his lack of ability to process the game punishes him and the team. He skates the puck into coverage, doesn't know who/how to backcheck, and even though he has a great shot, he doesn't know how to get himself into position to receive a one-time pass.

Yakupov is Nuke Laloosh: million dollar skills wrapped up with a ten cent brain for the game.

This is clearly NOT an issue for Ghost. Terrific prospect.

Wow, just had a thought as KK above mentioned "Chief".... can you imagine having this conversation last year with "the greatest mind in hockey" coaching Ghost if he didn't get hurt?  I don't wish injuries on anyone, especially someone as talented as Ghost, but maybe Ghost missing last season to injury was a blessing in disguise for him (and for the team, fans, etc.)! 

52 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

MacDonald is 30 years old.  I don't think a coach who is a year removed would still have an impact on his play.  I think it's just two different styles of D.  MacD is playing the more traditional defense.  Keep the opposing player to the outside, ride him into the wall.  Ghost cannot play that way because he's not big enough to ride someone out.  He has to engage quickly, use his speed, and strip the puck.  I think the difference here isn't the definition of one style being better than the other, rather one player being better than the other.

I think part of my thinking included the idea that he's only been skating under Hakstol on a very limited basis and it took the rest of the team months to get up to speed on his system and what he was looking for.    I think I'm just guessing that in another month, Mac will look better under Hakstol's system... just about in time for MDZ to return.  

55 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Nail Yakupov

* Quick

* Elusive

* Canon shot

But, if you watch him, one thing is crystal clear: he doesn't really know how to play hockey, and his lack of ability to process the game punishes him and the team. He skates the puck into coverage, doesn't know who/how to backcheck, and even though he has a great shot, he doesn't know how to get himself into position to receive a one-time pass.

Yakupov is Nuke Laloosh: million dollar skills wrapped up with a ten cent brain for the game.

I would say that's an accurate assessment of Nail Yakupov. I recall many Yakupov fans ( Or Oilers fans, idk ) have attempted to justify his production and somehow attribute it to the Edmonton Oiler's failure to develop young talent. if that were the case, how can they explain players such as Hall or Eberle? The only answer to that is Yakupov simply doesn't have a high intellect for the game. Its unfortunate, because he comes off as a likeable person with excellent work ethic.

Anyways I digress, If Artemi Panarin doesn't win the Calder then Ghost should.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Nail Yakupov

* Quick

* Elusive

* Canon shot

Hakstol needs him to learn how to breath through his eye lids like the lava lizards do

Anyone think that Ghost could possibly receive more votes than Panarin? Perhaps voters will feel compelled to NOT vote for Panarin because of his linemate and his age. Particularly his age, because he is essentially already in his prime and has the advantage due to his development. Im not saying those are valid reasons for Panarin not winning, but im certain it somewhat detracts from his potential to win the Calder.

16 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

Anyone think that Ghost could possibly receive more votes than Panarin? Perhaps voters will feel compelled to NOT vote for Panarin because of his linemate and his age. Particularly his age, because he is essentially already in his prime and has the advantage due to his development. Im not saying those are valid reasons for Panarin not winning, but im certain it somewhat detracts from his potential to win the Calder.

Some may have that feeling, but not enough. Panarin will win

20 minutes ago, JagerMeister said:

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

One could only hope. Panarin's going to have a nice career, but you can't even properly call him a prospect. He's 24 years old, and this is his 8th of pro hockey. Just last year he was playing on a line with Ilya Kovalchuk in the KHL. If forced to vote for either Panarin or Ghost, my vote would go to the kid every time.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

One could only hope. Panarin's going to have a nice career, but you can't even properly call him a prospect. He's 24 years old, and this is his 8th of pro hockey. Just last year he was playing on a line with Ilya Kovalchuk in the KHL. If forced to vote for either Panarin or Ghost, my vote would go to the kid every time.

Its the NHL's own fault for not considering KHL as a proffesional league...such stupidity.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but in the absence of a clear rule against that, the award has to go to Panarin, no?

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but in the absence of a clear rule against that, the award has to go to Panarin, no?

Don't mind me. I'm still bitter about Gretz not winning.   lol

The NHL has a long history of playing fast and loose with their definition of a "major professional league". The entire time the WHA was in operation, the NHL claimed it was a substandard bush league, but when 99 tied for the league lead in scoring, he wasn't qualified because he'd been a WHL player. Years later, we have a 31 year-old Sergei Makarov winning it after playing top level hockey for years, including best-on-best tournaments like the Canada Cup.

This is just me, but I think the KHL qualifies as a major professional league.

MLB Rookie of Year Qualifications:

The current standard is a player with fewer than 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club (excluding time in military service or on the disabled list) before September 1 of the previous MLB season was adopted in 1971.

NBA Rookie of Year Qualifications

To be eligible the player can never have played in an NBA game the previous year.  If player A plays 1 game last year and then is lost to the season due to an injury, the following year he is NO LONGER eligible for Rookie of the Year.

NFL Rookie of Year Qualifications:

The only thing I have found is that the player must be in his 1st year of the NFL.

NHL Rookie of Year Qualifications:

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

Then I found this…note the different wording.  Not sure how valid this statement is….

To be eligible, any player, including goalies, needs to be considered a rookie. This means no more than 25 games in any previous season and not having played in six or more games in any two seasons in any major professional league (not just the NHL).

In my opinion with different professional hockey leagues world-wide I think there needs to be some sort of concrete definition of a player playing say in the KHL vs the NHL.  Then when you get a player like Panarin who obviously has many years of experience vs a player such as Ghost, then a proper definition can then be applied.

Of course McJesus should never had gotten hurt!  Then this whole thread would probably a mute point!

:ph34r:

15 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Age was the knock against Read when he was garnering consideration.  

Just get Donald Trump to start talking about it as an issue :drool:

On 2/12/2016 at 11:08 PM, Adamflyers said:

Ghost pushes his point streak to 10 games, tying Renberg's team record for a rookie.  Chances are, he won't win ROY, but he continues to keep this team interesting and within reach for a playoff spot.

Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer
Gostisbehere's OT goal on Sat moved him past Tom Bladon for 2nd among rookie D in franchise history. One away from Behn Wilson's 13 in 78-79

Archived