Even more Great ASG Press: League suspends OV and Toews

radoran

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25465009/alex-ovechkin-jonathan-toews-suspended-1-game-for-missing-all-star-game

As if the NHL couldn't screw up their All Star Game any more than they have...

Washington Capitals winger Alex Ovechkin and Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews are two of the biggest stars in the NHL and were selected to play in the 2016 All-Star game in Nashville this weekend.

Both players have decided to opt out of the game (Ovechkin to injury; Toews to illness) and as a result will have to miss their team's first game back after the All-Star break.

The league not only announced on Thursday they will be replaced on the roster by Evgeny Kuznetsov and James Neal, but that Ovechkin and Toews have also been suspended for one game for missing the All-Star game.

Per league rules, any player that is voted into the game or named to the roster and does not play in the game for any reason receives a mandatory one-game suspension that must be served their team's game immediately preceding or following the All-Star game.

What's interesting is that apparently they would have also suspended John Scott for failing to appear at the game. I mean, them's the rules, ain't they?

We watch a great sport. It's run by a terrible league.

:mad:

LOL. Great PR for the league this year! The Scott fan voting debacle first, then Jagr (reminding us on several occasions of how the players really feel about the ASG), and now Ovechkin and Toews (two of the three biggest stars in the game) saying thanks but no thanks.  

You could get the players to the ASG if you had say... an automatic 10-game suspension for skipping the event, but clearly the players have no interest in the ASG anymore or the latest NHL gimmick to try and make it mean something.  :ermm: 

In the end all of this is the creation of Buttman....he may not have made the actual decision but I blame him as the people that work for him are his acolytes.  The constant tinkering, and stupid rules, has his fingerprints all over it.  Too bad they don't have term limits for NHL commissioners.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl_zMyxe8yA9WJo8-VDc_

I love to count so lets add more teams so I can count more ah ah ah and my salary 9.6 million dollars ah ah ahhhhhh!

Archived