Phil Bourque article on feeling the effects of concussions, years later

nossagog

Article from the Pittsburgh PostGazette on Phil Borque feeling the effects of concussions years after retiring.   Kind of makes you wonder how may players have scrambled their brains and don't even realize it yet.  

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2016/01/28/Penguins-radio-analyst-Phil-Bourque-starting-to-pay-for-his-many-concussions/stories/201601280013

It's scary. I have headaches, anger issues, depression issues, lessened muscle coordination... All over a decade after my head injury. And it wasn't like I was knocked out.

Head trauma's suck.   I had what I think was my only concussion playing basketball.   Cutting through the paint and a guy coming in the other direction dropped his head coming in and we met at full speed. If was the NFL it would have been leading with the crown of the helmet.   Caught me right on the check bone.  Luckily he didn't break it. Finished the game and all, but the next day I woke up to blood draining from my sinuses from the impact.   Also killed the nerves is several of my teeth below where the impact was, causing me to have root canals on several of them.   That side of my face stayed number for weeks. My headaches were short lived though so I guess I was lucky.

Archived