Michael Leighton

Samifan

I know this man's track record with the Flyers brings bitter memories.  From my vantage--we are a bit unfair to the guy. He and Boosh played beyond their capacity in a miracle run. I don't fault him entirely for the Cup loss...We weren't in Chicago's league, something the last five years of play have confirmed. 

On a broader note--you might say this record puts that goal in context.  The guy has an excellent AHL record.  He is an "uber-Litle."  His cups of coffee in the majors haven't resulted in great success.  But he seems to be pretty competent in the AHL.  "The Goal" was sad.  But I'd put the blame in large part on an organization that's had a helluva time developing and keeping first-tier goalies.

Peace,

Howie

FC:

Thanks my friend. I almost cry thinking about that game.  But I get very angry at how the dude is crucified.  If nothing else, the man has showed remarkable perseverance we can all learn from.  Scapegoating bugs the sh.t out of me.  

Best,

Howie

On 1/31/2016 at 7:58 PM, flyerrod said:

Although seriously annoyed at the one he let by, I was more annoyed when he signed a contract and did not disclose his injury. THAT speaks volumes to his character IMHO.

You beat me to the punch on this one.  The reason why I am not a big fan was the fact that he was injured and should not have been playing in the finals.  Lets face it he admitted:

"I first felt [the bulging disc] in playoffs last year,”

"The goal" was the straw the broke the camel's back but this series was lost in Game 1 when we blew countless leads thanks to excruciatingly weak goals.  Were the Hawks better?  Yes of course but they didn't exactly have Ken Dryden in net either and we were playing way way over our heads and could have ridden the wave all the way until the soft goals began deflating us (The Hawks were just coming into their own too and were not the experienced winners they are now).  I postulate that if he did not hide the injury we go with Boosh and win game 1 and go on to win the series and Danny B taking home the little model of Maple Leaf Gardens (Conn Smythe trophy of course).  Regardless of ifs and buts and candy and nuts this defeat (second in pain factor only to the 1987 finals loss to Edmonton) will haunt me for years to come.  Thanks for turning the Leights on our Stanley Cup dreams of 2010. 

Archived