Went to the Lake Erie Monsters game today

yave1964

Just for fun I took the wife and grandson to the Lake Erie Monster and Texas Star game today. Julie York's photo. I know folks don't share personal stuff much on here, but let me tell ya, it was a blast, the three year old Grandson has all of his own Hockey gear and I am hoping he grows up to be the next Connor McDavid (or at least Dylan Larkin, lol.).

Minor league hockey is the same game but the Monsters are a pretty depleted bunch with the Jackets falling out of contention they have raided the Monsters so that Fonzie can assess what they have and what they need going forward, Joshth?id=OIP.M3ccd5842812e8db06f69564456b91 Anderson was solid, Vogelhuber scored the teams first goal and Anton Forsberg kept the team in the game but the Texas Stars with a veeran laden team built around offense wore the Monsters down and won 3-2.

I don't care. It was an absolute blast, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and both my Grandson and I are hoarse from screaming like damn fools every time the jumbotron would tel us to holler LOUDER! Julie York's photo.Here is a pic of the wife who I mention in here a fair amount alongside of the happiest little boy in the world, who is three years old but happens to be my very best friend and here is one with him and I Julie York's photo.I wore the Hawks jersey because it was the first one out of the closet this morning, lol. 51 but still run around in hockey jerseys all the time, don't see an age where i will stop, lol.

Anyway, the wife (a Jacket fan, no accounting for taste) loved the game, says Anton Forsberg who played goal is a future star. Sometimes you just have to go to see a minor league game.

Question, does anyone else go to see minor league games? Or if you live in Canada do you go see any Junior games? I tell the wife if we lived in Windsor or another Junior Hockey Mecca we would be constantly broke. But it would be worth it.

I go to as many junior games as I can....usually 10-20 plus playoffs. I've been to AHL games... the Leafs farm team was in Newmarket when I lived there and I've gone to the odd one in Toronto.

I actually enjoy going to junior games the most because usually no one is mailing it in and it costs me $50 with beers as opposed to $500 to see a lousy team play in Toronto.

@yave1964

He is adorable.  Glad you had a great time.  Three years ago  my son, through the help of mommy, got daddy tickets for a Hershey Bears game for a daddy date.  We had a blast and he now loves hockey!  Great times.  Cherish the memories my friend!  They grow up so quickly.

Good times Yave, good times. Sounds like an awesome day with your family.  Your Grandson is awesome, they grow up so fast and these are great times the to cherrish.

I  still have on my agenda to go to the Phantoms this season I haven't been in their new areana yet. 

4 hours ago, blocker said:

Good for you, your wife and your little pal.  flyercanuck is a devoted follower of junior hockey.  I spend my weekends watching games from mites up through college.

I got into college hockey after the Wings drafted Brendan Smith and he stayed in school with Wisconsin, I live an hour from Columbus and saw him play a lot and took to big ten hockey. I 'discovered' Nick Bjugstad, he owned the Bucks. my favorite college hockey moment may have been watching Dylan Larkin last year with Michigan. i plan on going to watch Bowling Green college in a few weeks with a friend who graduated there. no crowds, polite people mostly.

15 hours ago, yave1964 said:

15 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Question, does anyone else go to see minor league games? Or if you live in Canada do you go see any Junior games? I tell the wife if we lived in Windsor or another Junior Hockey Mecca we would be constantly broke. But it would be worth it.

I have been a STH for the Amerks for years. Love AHL hockey and the chance to see many NHL'ers develop on their way up to the show. Very entertaining and affordable.

20 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I have been a STH for the Amerks for years. Love AHL hockey and the chance to see many NHL'ers develop on their way up to the show. Very entertaining and affordable.

I don't know how far back  you go, Jody Gage is my all time favorite AHLer as a former Wing, over 500 AHL goals, not sure why he never got a fair shot in the NHL. I wrote for an autograph and he responded with a nice letter several years ago. If I ever learn how to scan I may start putting these on here, lol.

I love minor league hockey, the players are either on the way up or on the way down, you get a curious mix. Guys like 30 something Jamie Sifers who knows his NHL career is done but still plays a solid defense, young kids like Josh Anderson playing along side of him who are just starting out.

I have seen two Toledo Walleye games over the years in the ECHL and was not impressed, they seemed to go through the motions a bit, sluggish and the skill level was not there. But the AHL is just the smallest of a fraction off from the NHL, the passing is not quite as crisp from my personal observation and the goalies puck control is not quite as good but overall the AHL is a blast. A lot more fighting and not too many players mail it in.

I have been in Rochester since 1980 so I am very family with Jody. He is still with the organ-eye-zay-chin today. He is a true gentleman who will talk hockey for hours with you if you see him out at an event  or just  out and about.

I agree with all your points about the A and have enjoyed my ST the past 8 seasons. My only complaint is that the A has expanded so much that you don't get to see a majority of the teams for years due to travel costs and logistics. I think I have only seen some teams once, lol

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Good Stuff

@yave1964

One question though: as a diehard Wings fan now, didn't it burn your skin wearing a Hawks sweater?  ;)

LOL!

I actually have roughly 30 jerseys and God only knows how many t-shirts from around the NHL. I wear my Simon Nolet autographed Kansas City Scouts one the most of any of them. But trust me, I wear the Wings colors quite proudly quite often.

Archived