Does Gudas deserve a Suspension for the Clip?

hf101

Does the Clip delivered by Gudas Deserve a Suspension?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gudas receive a Suspension for the Clip on Lessio?

• Yes
    • No

Gudas' last suspension was a couple of months ago, and he may get another call from the league on this  clip delivered to Luccas Lessio.  Play went on down the ice before a penalty was called.  5 and a game, seemed much more than what was deserved here, imo,  but then what will the league hand out to Gudas?

gudas

How many games will the League hand out to Gudas?

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Gudas' last suspension was a couple of months ago, and he may get another call from the league on this  clip delivered to Luccas Lessio.  Play went on down the ice before a penalty was called.  5 and a game, seemed much more than what was deserved here, imo,  but then what will the league hand out to Gudas?

gudas

No.

> That's a penalty?! Good grief.

It wasn't a penalty at first, or even 5 seconds or so later.  The Flyers took the puck back up ice and were about to take a shot on goal when the whistle blew.  Pretty much everyone was confused, as neither ref called it, nor did the closest linesman appear to make any motions to the refs.

Looks like a missed hip check and an unfortunate spill to the ice to me.

Regardless, I hope Lessio is OK.

I'm not even sure how the guy got injured so bad.  Gudas went for the hit, the guy side stepped it a bit so gudas extends his arm into his leg causing him to spin to the ice.  Did he have a "dead leg"?  Did he get hit in the junk?

I don't think you can suspend a guy for a "near collision" but who knows.

I was freaking out.  It sure seemed that the refs were doing everything in their power to help the Habs last night....

I hope the guy is okay but good lord, let's wait and see what happens before we call a penalty????much less a major and a game....

Great kill though!!!!!!!!!!

Take that!

I didn't watch the game save for the last 3 minutes.  I joined in action and the flyers were killing a 5 minute major.  I figured I would come here today to see what went on.  Now that I saw it I don't know how on earth that is 5 minutes.  There are three things in the league I can't stand any longer. 1) inconsistency of refereeing 2) penalties for clean hits 3) players having to start a fight after almost every big clean hit.

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

gudas

A) He missed him.

B) Had he hit him, it would have been in the hip.

Personally I think the game misconduct was a little absurd.  Had he not bent over so low, we wouldn't even be talking about it.  It would have just been a missed hip check.  

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I just reviewed the DPS's ruling on "Clipping" which is a hip check at or below the knees. Although an awkward check, it appeared that Gudas hit the opposing player at his waist. 

Yeah it certainly wasn't clipping.  That's absurdity.

14 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

I didn't watch the game save for the last 3 minutes.  I joined in action and the flyers were killing a 5 minute major.  I figured I would come here today to see what went on.  Now that I saw it I don't know how on earth that is 5 minutes.  There are three things in the league I can't stand any longer. 1) inconsistency of refereeing 2) penalties for clean hits 3) players having to start a fight after almost every big clean hit.

I'm with you on everything but the fights after the clean hits.  My biggest frustration is that those just turn in to clutch and pushing scrums and not actual fights.   

Consider me old school, but I believe even legal hits can merit a certain degree of punishment.  Legal doesn't mean "clean" or without intent to injure and if it's technically not against the rules (as there is no penalty for intending to injure) the only way to cut down on this sort of thing happening to your key players is to make sure there are incredibly inconvenient consequences for delivering such hits.

We can still have big hits and hard physical play without prematurely ruining careers.  and personally I'd much rather see a fight than see a player get knocked unconscious on the ice knowing he just had years taken off his career and his home life with his family will have been greatly and negatively affected for the rest of his life.  

Gary Bettman doesn't agree, but I find that far more disturbing than a fight.

Have the words "hip check" been completely removed from the hockey world?  Because if so, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know as I'm still instructing the 14 year old kids I coach on how to deliver one.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 11.12.03 AM.png

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Have the words "hip check" been completely removed from the hockey world?  Because if so, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know as I'm still instructing the 14 year old kids I coach on how to deliver one.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 11.12.03 AM.png

I mean, it was low.  If he'd have hit him it would have been a thigh check which is more risky.  He bent or crouched too much.  I see that and I'm fine with that.  But it's not a suspendible offense because it wasn't below the knees... and in the end he barely touched him. 

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes that and it looks like he is trying to avoid the hit although he got hit before being able to do so cleanly.

Yeah, it's weird.  it does almost look like radko swerves out of the way to miss him.  I'd like to hear what he was thinking.  It's an odd play.    Did he get close and literally just realize, "oh crap, i'm too low, I'm gonna get called, I'd better not hit him?"  That's almost what it looks like.  It's an odd looking play.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, it's weird.  it does almost look like radko swerves out of the way to miss him.  I'd like to hear what he was thinking.  It's an odd play.    Did he get close and literally just realize, "oh crap, i'm too low, I'm gonna get called, I'd better not hit him?"  That's almost what it looks like.  It's an odd looking play.

I was talking about the guy who was getting hit it's like he was trying to jump or get out the way but didn't make it...and wasn't a lot Gudas could do at that point he had committed.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

No hearing for Gudas per teh Twitters.

I gotta agree with @Podein25 - I can't believe that was even a penalty.

I'm fine with the penalty.  He does go low and he shouldn't.  If he stays at the waist he can just obliterate the guy and it's all good.

However the Major is a bit absurd and REALLY starts to feel like they were just trying to get the Habs a shot at tying it or winning it. Why else would you call that a major?  

And the misconduct is altogether uncalled for.  Just really really wrong.  

53 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm fine with the penalty.  He does go low and he shouldn't.  If he stays at the waist he can just obliterate the guy and it's all good.

However the Major is a bit absurd and REALLY starts to feel like they were just trying to get the Habs a shot at tying it or winning it. Why else would you call that a major?  

And the misconduct is altogether uncalled for.  Just really really wrong.  

I might go two, but it's certainly not a "clip" by the definition of the rule.

Don't at all understand a 5 and 10

Archived