Chris Pronger is the difference

Guest jkearse123

@Kearse

This season the Flyers are 8W / 5L (62%wins) with Pronger in the line-up.....and without Pronger in the line-up they are 15 / 10 (60%wins)...however 2 of these losses are from the shootout...where Pronger doesn't factor.

Thus without Pronger the team is winning just about the same % of their games, despite Bryz's poor goaltending.

In the games where CP20 has played, Ilya Bryzgalov has been above average.

228/250 for a .912 save percentage.

Without Pronger,

394/449 for a .878 percentage.

Yuck.

So our $10 million goalie with the boat anchor contract needs our broken down over the hill defenceman with a boat anchor contract to be any good? Imagine what we could do with $15 million worth of useful players?

Without Pronger,

Yuck.

No doubt a healthy Pronger makes the difference..Flyers dmen are hanging him out to dry alot..

I think Bryzgalov having slightly better numbers with Pronger in the lineup are coincidence not correlation. If you examine the goals that Bryz has been giving up lately many have been of the soft variety where defense has done their job in front of him.

I think Bryzgalov having slightly better numbers with Pronger in the lineup are coincidence not correlation. If you examine the goals that Bryz has been giving up lately many have been of the soft variety where defense has done their job in front of him.

you think letting Kane stand alone in front of the net is good defence... 10 out of 10 times he buries that shot.. got to get a body on him..

you think letting Kane stand alone in front of the net is good defence... 10 out of 10 times he buries that shot.. got to get a body on him..

Every team has defensive lapses in a game. I'm not going to eat his lunch on the Kane goal you are right the defense failed him on that occasion. But if you look at the vast majority of goals that Bryz has given up over the last month they have been soft goals.

@PhilsFanDrew

I'm no fan of Bryz but he was decent last night. He made several tough saves early and I don't think any of the ones he eventually allowed were soft though Seabrooke's shot might have been stoppable. But he had no chance on the goals by Shaw, Kane, and Hayes. He's getting paid way too much to play even at the level he played at last night, but it wasn't bad.

Without Pronger,

Yuck.

I totally agree. Having a defenseman like Pronger does so many things that don't show up on the score sheet.

I really think that with the likelihood of Pronger being finished, we have to explore trying to get the closest thing out there and that is talking to Nashville about Weber. With Kimo getting long in tooth we need a bonafide stud defenseman to build around going forward. Prior to Pronger being injured I was content with a 4/5 type guy. Seeing how the goaltending is suffering with Pronger out we need a stud replacement. We would likely have to give up either Schenn or JVR plus some picks but we need someone like Weber and this season so he can be signed to a long term deal

@Dynamo 47

Boy we've been talking about Weber for a long time, we can only hope Nashville is sufficiently out of the playoff picture come the trade deadline.....we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to young talent, something that doesn't happen too often (ever?) in Flyerdom, you can pull the trigger without selling out the future. I am sure they could ink Weber long term as well