Mark Messier vs Bobby Clarke

JagerMeister

Who Is The Superior Player  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Superior Player

• Mark Messier
    • Bobby Clarke

Cup counting is stupid anyways.

Exchange Sergei Fedorov or Steve Yzerman with Bob Carpenter and give Bourque a more reliable Dman behind him in pairings and its likely he has more cups. He made 2 finals in an era when top forwards were scoring 120+ points and Boston had a bunch of 50-70 point guys + Bourque and Neely. And that is not to take away from players who do have the cups, that is just how it is.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Cup counting is stupid anyways.

Exchange Sergei Fedorov or Steve Yzerman with Bob Carpenter and give Bourque a more reliable Dman behind him in pairings and its likely he has more cups. He made 2 finals in an era when top forwards were scoring 120+ points and Boston had a bunch of 50-70 point guys + Bourque and Neely. And that is not to take away from players who do have the cups, that is just how it is.

I can't reiterate the bolded enough when these discussions take place. You don't cup count to hold one player on a higher pedestal than another, you compare their impact they had during their playoff runs. In this case though, I think Messier has a better playoff record than Clarke.

23 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

That sort of selective reasoning only gets us so far. Mark Messier captained two different teams to the Stanley Cup. That statement can't be made with Clarke (or any other player). You can't count Cups by taking away 4 extra championships that one guy had, especially when he has a Conn Smythe sitting on his shelf.

My previous post was more in response to somewhere earlier in the thread where a poster was putting (IMO) excessive weight on the # of Cups won....I was merely pointing out, that in that line of reasoning, the player's importance to that team is what really matters, and each was the BMOC exactly twice. I'm not taking titles away for the years when he was the second line center behind the greatest player of my lifetime. Nobody would argue that Messier was the undisputed leader (regardless of the C) of the '94 Rangers and of the last Oilers Cup team. Those teams would not have won without Messier, the same may not be true for the previous Cups.

That point doesn't win or lose an argument on who the better player was, just sayin'.....

Archived