Same old Kane

flyercanuck

Evander Kane is scratched for tonights game against Ottawa after missing practise. He was in Toronto for the NBA Allstar game and slept in for his teams practise.

Guy just doesn't get it.

The Sabres have some good young pieces in O'Reilly/Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart. Trading for a punk like Kane was just a bad move. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-scratched-from-sabres-game-1.3449010

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Two more years on that deal, too.

But they do get some cap relief two years from now so that makes it a great move, right? :ph34r:

I have to believe that Tyler Myers is still going to be valuable at the end of his contract....Hartnell, he could pull a Jagr on us but I highly doubt it...

What a dumb-ass. He obviously believes that he can continue to disrespect his team and get yet another contract from another team down the road, because he has the talent. 

I disagree. I think the Sabres are his last hope and he'd better pull up his socks and grow up. 

Someone once said "youth is so wasted on the young". Applies in spades here. :cool[1]:

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Trading for a punk like Kane was just a bad move. 

Well they gave up too much for the risk that Evander represents. Armia has looked good, he's like a bigger, more solid Scheifele. He can't skate like him but he has a nice shot. He's now on the Jets 2nd line, albeit in part due to injury. And Lemeiux is tearing it up. One of the great trades of the century

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Evander Kane is scratched for tonights game against Ottawa after missing practise. He was in Toronto for the NBA Allstar game and slept in for his teams practise.

Guy just doesn't get it.

The Sabres have some good young pieces in O'Reilly/Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart. Trading for a punk like Kane was just a bad move. 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-scratched-from-sabres-game-1.3449010

Maybe he just could not get the Lumina to start????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Guy just doesn't get it.

I've noticed a gradual decline in the professional working commitment of nearly all professional athletes. Sure, they all take health and fitness more seriously, but that's only because they know they would never make it to the elite level otherwise. It's train or don't be a pro. 

I truly believe that the league needs to get rid of guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed contracts effectively put an end to motivation. Imagine an average Joe winning the lottery and then reporting to work on Monday morning to keep doing what he was doing. We all know it would never happen, and the same thing applies to pro athletes. Once you know you're paid and set for life, you coast.  :(

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I've noticed a gradual decline in the professional working commitment of nearly all professional athletes. Sure, they all take health and fitness more seriously, but that's only because they know they would never make it to the elite level otherwise. It's train or don't be a pro. 

I truly believe that the league needs to get rid of guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed contracts effectively put an end to motivation. Imagine an average Joe winning the lottery and then reporting to work on Monday morning to keep doing what he was doing. We all know it would never happen, and the same thing applies to pro athletes. Once you know you're paid and set for life, you coast.  :(

Problem is, players are late and/or miss practice so rarely, that it's a national media story when it happens. It's only the very rarest of guys who is so unprofessional.

It would take A LOT to get players to give up guaranteed contracts. Imagjne an NFL style system with many contracts being like Weber's without the length - huge signing bonuses.

The NHL can't afford that rightnow and the price is guaranteed contracts. The term limit is an attempt to address it but 7/8 years is still too long.

I see hockey as the most "team" game on the planet and there is NO superstar who can win by themselves.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

It would take A LOT to get players to give up guaranteed contracts. Imagjne an NFL style system with many contracts being like Weber's without the length - huge signing bonuses.

The NHL can't afford that rightnow and the price is guaranteed contracts. The term limit is an attempt to address it but 7/8 years is still too long.

I see hockey as the most "team" game on the planet and there is NO superstar who can win by themselves.

And the holdouts we would see if the guaranteed contract were to go away. When a player in a contact sport is one injury away from being dropped, he'll try to grab whatever money he can along the way... Be crazy not to.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

even Lemieux was unable to elevate his team in the playoffs. Gretzky couldn`t with his art ross win in LA. But I don't know about most team game, Im not an avid football viewer but that seems very team oriented.