Same old Kane

flyercanuck

2 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

even Lemieux was unable to elevate his team in the playoffs. Gretzky couldn`t with his art ross win in LA. But I don't know about most team game, Im not an avid football viewer but that seems very team oriented.

Football is a different animal but very close.

For me, though, the story of hockey is that a solid inferior team can beat a more talented group of indiviual players.

Of course I grew up with the Miracle on Ice and the Broad Street Bullies.

I give hockey the edge also because players play both ways, all the time.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

It would take A LOT to get players to give up guaranteed contracts. Imagjne an NFL style system with many contracts being like Weber's without the length - huge signing bonuses.

The NHL can't afford that rightnow and the price is guaranteed contracts. The term limit is an attempt to address it but 7/8 years is still too long.

I see hockey as the most "team" game on the planet and there is NO superstar who can win by themselves.

Imagine the leverage that coaches and GMs would have over players if there were no guaranteed contracts. It would be like an actual job!  If the coach doesn't like your attitude or your work ethic, the team could drop you right away and owe you nothing! That would be awesome!  :)

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Imagine the leverage that coaches and GMs would have over players if there were no guaranteed contracts. It would be like an actual job!  If the coach doesn't like your attitude or your work ethic, the team could drop you right away and owe you nothing! That would be awesome!  :)

The problem is you will end up with maybe 6 teams total because no one would want to play on a team that decreased their chance to make money. Take away the cap and allow teams to pay off bad contracts like AMAC without the cap hit. That would change the game for the better too.....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

12 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

The problem is you will end up with maybe 6 teams total because no one would want to play on a team that decreased their chance to make money. Take away the cap and allow teams to pay off bad contracts like AMAC without the cap hit. That would change the game for the better too.....

That makes the cap completely irrelevant and goes back to rich teams being able to buy themselves out with impunity.

Teams making stupid decisions shouldn't be able to simply buy their way out with no penalty.

Like Churchill said about democracy - "the worst form of government except for all the others" - we dont have a perfect system, but its better than many alternatives. 

2 hours ago, radoran said:

That makes the cap completely irrelevant and goes back to rich teams being able to buy themselves out with impunity.

How about this, Keep the cap number in place but allow buy outs of nonperforming players.......You still would have to maintain the pay level but you could buy yourself out of dumb mistakes too.......

6 hours ago, flyerrod said:

How about this, Keep the cap number in place but allow buy outs of nonperforming players.......You still would have to maintain the pay level but you could buy yourself out of dumb mistakes too.......

Buy outs are allowed. Teams can buy out the players if they want to.

The solution to the problem is not making dumb mistakes, not getting a "get out of jail free" card because you did.

Just now, flyerrod said:

But they still count against the cap and they should not. That would be a major improvement and allow you to (on your own dollar as an owner) pay for your GM's mistake.

Right, but that completely circumvents the cap and makes it worthless in terms of allowing smaller market teams to compete. Large market teams could simply sign whoever they want and then buy them out.

The owners insisted upon the cap (and cost us a season and a half of hockey to get and keep it).

As for "nonperforming" players - Kane is currently second on the Sabres in goals so I think it's hard to make that argument.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Right, but that completely circumvents the cap and makes it worthless in terms of allowing smaller market teams to compete. Large market teams could simply sign whoever they want and then buy them out.

The owners insisted upon the cap (and cost us a season and a half of hockey to get and keep it).

As for "nonperforming" players - Kane is currently second on the Sabres in goals so I think it's hard to make that argument.

My bad, saw the "shiny" and just followed it right down the path to Tangentville........

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well this thread is 5 years old but apparently this tiger can't change his stripes...

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/06/details-revealed-on-why-san-jose-wants.html

We should instead stick with the room full of quitters and turtles currently stealing money from Comcast. Kane's one punch destruction of Matt Cooke makes him one of my all time  favorites. I really don't give a s&*t what he does in his spare time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

We should instead stick with the room full of quitters and turtles currently stealing money from Comcast. Kane's one punch destruction of Matt Cooke makes him one of my all time  favorites. I really don't give a s&*t what he does in his spare time.

From what his teammates have said, on several teams, about him, he's not very well liked. I'm pretty sure everyone outside of Pittsburgh fans (and many of them too) loved when he decked Matt Cooke...as did I. That was 11 years ago. He was an Atlanta Thrasher then.  Four teams have tired of his bs since then. 

• Like 2

I have been kind of amused at his antics the last ten years. Unfortunately for several players, Matt Cooke needed to be concussed multiple times prior to 11 years ago. I am certain Mark Savard would agree. As for Kane, I'm not the character police, nor am I so perfect that I can't give him a pass, so I don't care about his antics. With the Flyers being the softest, most boring team in the NHL for most of the past ten years you gotta find entertainment where you can get it.

16 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I have been kind of amused at his antics the last ten years. Unfortunately for several players, Matt Cooke needed to be concussed multiple times prior to 11 years ago. I am certain Mark Savard would agree. As for Kane, I'm not the character police, nor am I so perfect that I can't give him a pass, so I don't care about his antics. With the Flyers being the softest, most boring team in the NHL for most of the past ten years you gotta find entertainment where you can get it.

Ya, a guy who's made millions upon millions and has to file for bankruptcy is hilarious. Add in a guy who's now basically been booted from four teams and he's not exactly what I'd go looking for in a free agent or a trade. Then there's the fact 3 of the 4 teams he's played for have been closer to the bottom of the league than this joke of a Flyers org.

It's great he punched Cooke...someone had to do it. 

Evander Kane isn't worth it. Six million plus for a guy isn't really even a first line player anymore, AND he needs an attitude adjustment, on and off the ice? No thanks. HARD PASS on bringing him to the Flyers.

• Like 1

Darren McCarty, Sergei Gonchar, Ray Whitney, Mike Vernon, Doug Harvey, Derek Sanderson, Dany Heatley, Kevin Stevens, Mike Modano, Mike Peca, Chris Nilan, Theo Fleury, Bryan Berard, Bobby Orr, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Voynov, Steve Durbano, Brian Spencer, Bryan Trottier, Jack Johnson. 

All NHL players who claimed bankruptcy. 78% of retired NFL players claim bankruptcy 5 years after retirement. There are predatorial agents and financial advisors lurking around every corner, including government operated gambling.  I am not an agent for E Kane, he is not unique, and I am not going to sit in an ivory tower and diss a guy for having a problem that millions of people have.

I also can't help but think that if he was white we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There are far bigger problems to resolve than whether or not a singular hockey player from Vancouver is a problem in the locker room or not.

Finally I never said it was hilarious, your word, not mine, nor did I advocate for the Flyers to obtain him, he wouldn't help this ship of turtles and quitters.

16 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Darren McCarty, Sergei Gonchar, Ray Whitney, Mike Vernon, Doug Harvey, Derek Sanderson, Dany Heatley, Kevin Stevens, Mike Modano, Mike Peca, Chris Nilan, Theo Fleury, Bryan Berard, Bobby Orr, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Voynov, Steve Durbano, Brian Spencer, Bryan Trottier, Jack Johnson. 

All NHL players who claimed bankruptcy. 78% of retired NFL players claim bankruptcy 5 years after retirement. There are predatorial agents and financial advisors lurking around every corner, including government operated gambling.  I am not an agent for E Kane, he is not unique, and I am not going to sit in an ivory tower and diss a guy for having a problem that millions of people have.

I also can't help but think that if he was white we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There are far bigger problems to resolve than whether or not a singular hockey player from Vancouver is a problem in the locker room or not.

Finally I never said it was hilarious, your word, not mine, nor did I advocate for the Flyers to obtain him, he wouldn't help this ship of turtles and quitters.

His problem clearly isn't just his finances. If it were I'd guess his teammates would probably try to help him.

You're really going to pull the race card? I guess Dustin Byfuglian is racist...against his own race then. Because he thought Kane was a jerk. That was 3 teams ago. 

Thanks for correcting my poor English...you used the term amused, I said hilarious. Not even in the same stratosphere. Oh wait....

And as for you not wanting him on the team, again you mentioned...

22 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

We should instead stick with the room full of quitters and turtles currently stealing money from Comcast.

Which sure sounds like you think he'd be an improvement. 

17 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Evander Kane isn't worth it. Six million plus for a guy isn't really even a first line player anymore, AND he needs an attitude adjustment, on and off the ice? No thanks. HARD PASS on bringing him to the Flyers.

Yeah for me to even let this cross my brain again they would have to take Jake and Braun back in return to giving the Flyers a draft pick...as i said before you could even answer the phone again.

So if they want Voracek and Braun back we can continue the discussion otherwise...dial tone.

:beer: