Dalton Prout-toughest guy in Hockey

yave1964

... /Getty Images Lucic got the upper hand in a bout with Dalton ProutFor my money there is no tougher guy in the game of hockey right now than Columbus defenseman Dalton Prout. And he can play a little too. The rugged stay at home defenseman takes nothing from nobody, he fights very little nowadays after establishing himself a few years ago when he went after Milan Lucic and several others.

In fact Lucic and Prout have battled three times, the best (IMHO) was when Prout dropped Lucic with one punch after getting sick of the way Lucic was using his stick repeatedly to Prouts back and shoulders. Afterwards Prout proudly stated that he received call after call from players on other teams thanking him and congratulating him on drilling Lucic and even was congratulated by several refs who are sick of Lucic and his antics.
  He fought quite a bit last year, he takes on anyone anywhere at anytime, and established his rep. This season the six foot three two hundred thirty pound guy finished cementing his rep first by destroying Michael Haley and then a week ago

tough guy Chris Stewart felt the full brunt of several shots to the jaw from Prout. He will be drinking his dinner through a straw for the next month or so and could be out up to eight weeks with a fractured jaw.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is Bobby Orr on the back end, he is a third pair defenseman who is going to struggle to stay in Columbus lineup with David Savard returning from injury. He is rumored to be on the block as Columbus hits sell mode and the deadline is fast approaching.

He is not a star, just a hard working stay at home defenseman who is the one guy in all of Hockey whom I would least want to fight. He does not have a dozen fights a year like a Chris Neil or Derek Dorsett, mostly because he does not need to. He has established himself as one tough mother out there and someone best to avoid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 11:19 AM, JagerMeister said:

Anyone who KO's Lucic so effortlessly is instantly likable.

Not sure if Kucherov will agree with this.  Prout is out of control and needs a little NHL intervention.  In Friday's game against the Pens he took Scott Wilson and Brian Doumolin flying into the boards in what should have been clear interference penalties as the didn't have and never had the puck. Wilson left the game and did not play Sunday. Doumolin left the game briefly, but returned to play.    Kucherov left the game in the second after the hit, and did not return.  Three questionable(and I'm being generous) hits in two games that injured two players. 

Note that I didn't mention the Malkin hit  as that was just something that was not a bad hit, just a bad result. But at 6-3 219 lbs, it shows what can happen with legal hits. When he throws is body into questionable hits and dirty plays, he can hurt someone.  Hello NHL and NHLPA!  If you are really concerned about player safety, let's hear from you.

Ferret Face seems to think that this kind of thing is okay to do, well, as long as you don't do it to his team.   Then you're a "cheap, dirty teams full of Prima Dona's".  He probably thinks Prout was just coming to the aid of poor defenseless team-mate who was attacked by the opposing teams goalie.   I mean really, I think Bishop hit him with a tire iron or something.

You know, I watched this game and during the pile up in the corner, I did NOT see the hit to Kucherov's head.

Needless to say, I was surprised when I started reading articles stating things like "sucker punch".

Then I looked at the standard angles, and while I did see Prout plow into the group of players, then saw Kucherov promptly pop out of there, I simply thought it was a case of big man hitting smaller man and Kucherov just getting the worst of it.

THEN I saw that overhead angle camera just as Prout was getting in there.

Indeed.....sucker punch it is!

Not only did Prout make a beeline towards the pile (expected), but he went out of his way to fire his right hand towards the Bolts' player's head (NOT expected and unnecessary).

I can understand him simply trying to 'brush away' the smaller Kucherov to get at the bigger Andrej Sustr (who was the guy who went after Foligno for tripping up Bishop), but that right hand looked like it had much more intention than a simple brush away.

Dalton Prout may currently be one of the toughest players in hockey, but this right here is starting to tell me he is believing his own hype....and apparently isn't above pulling the types of BS maneuvers that such 'upstanding type' players like James Neal, Matt Cooke, or an Alex Burrows would do.

Anything the NHL gives Prout will be well deserved, as the Lightnin and the NHL just got robbed of having a much more valuable HOCKEY player in Nikita Kucherov on the ice due to his Cro-Magnon behavior.

Sounds like he was just doing it so the Jackets get talked about........

....but seriously...wow....that is a sucker punch!!!

Sit him for that and let him think about it for a minute. Cheap shitty stuff right there.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like he was just doing it so the Jackets get talked about........

....but seriously...wow....that is a sucker punch!!!

Sit him for that and let him think about it for a minute. Cheap shitty stuff right there.

:lol: That's a good one Occams!! Oh wait, I think you were being serious.   Sadly, from what I've seen of him play, being on or over the edge is the only thing that keeps him employed in the NHL. If he doesn't play like that, he loses his job. That's what will go through his mind, a few games lost pay versus selling insurance, or cars, or TV's for a living. Until they start to seriously take intent to injure another player seriously, there will always be a place for him in the NHL.    Sad but true.

When the salary cap was introduced, I predicted that we'd eventually see the goon be squeezed out of the NHL; you just can't justify devoting needed cap space to a player that can't actually take or make a pass. My idea was that fighting would return to something like it used to be in the time of the Original Six, with angry fights between tough men who can play a regular NHL shift, and The Code being gone.

We're there now, I think.

Side note, Scott Wilson, who Prout put into the boards with out the puck in what "should" have been a clear interference call, is officially out long term from the hit. I'm looking for a video of the hit. 

EDIT UPDATE:  Scott Wilson will need surgery, out indefinitely.

Archived