Did The Flyers Steal A Superstar at 24th Overall?

flyercanuck

@flyercanuck

Excellent write up.  Thanks for sharing.  I agree that Konecny could be something very special.  I hate to rush the kid and throw accolates onto him before he even hits the ice for his 1st regular season NHL game, but it appears he has all the tools to become very successful both on and off the ice.  I remember watching him last year at CHL all star game and thinking he would look great in O&B.  I have to find the post where I mentioned it in here.  Truth be hold I was obvious elated when Provorov wasa taken #7 overall and even though the Flyers had another pick in the 1st round, I just did not think he would slide to #29.   However whe the Bruins got a class A brain freeze and Konecy started to slide,  I was estatic that Hecy moved up to draft him.  The Leafs are going to regret that trade for years to come.  It has been along while since I hve been this happy with who the Flyers have drafted and who  have the potential to make an impact within a year or two.

I don't know about "steal" but it does suggest that Toronoto scouting staff, who had plenty of opportunity to watch TK, didn't see the the same things we see and we're prepared to pass on him. Teams passed on Bobby Clarke too, of course, some more than once.

Nice article on TK. I'm excited to see how he does in training camp next year.

This part of the article is a little sickening, isn't it?

Of the past 12 NHL Drafts, only Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier, James van Riemsdyk, and Zac Rinaldo have suited up for at least one full season with the Flyers. Only four players since the 2004 NHL Draft are on the Flyers’ roster today. Those include Giroux, Couturier, Scott Laughton, and rookie Shayne Gostisbehere.

The thing that sticks out most about Konecny to me was how he "got it"... "knew what it would take, etc." to win at the World Junior championships this past year.  

He was Canada's most consistent player imo and Coach Lowry simply didn't see it.  It's tough to be a highly skilled player and be told to go and muck it up like a grinder... but that's what Konecny did, and did it well.  To me, that speaks TONS about his character, drive, and team play. 

Archived